Elementals WIP (need help)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Elementals WIP (need help)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elementals WIP (need help)

Ok this will be the official thread for my elemental design project, just something for fun to warm me up for something more intensive. Anywho I finalized my designs for wind and fire and started some coloring on them when i hit a snag...

have alot of work to do on her shadow wise and such but the problem is trying to get her eye to glow. For the life of me i cannot remember how to do it in photoshop (think its color burn with brush or layer?). I did it before, just trying to do it again, any help? Here was my previous succesful attempt:

Oh and heres the inks of fire, still needs some cleaning

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wind doesn't seem to feel windy enough.....but its looking really neat. Her robes should probably flow more.

Fire's looking mighty good.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darth- I'll look into getting a more flowing feel in any future drawings I do of her. I was trying to go with a stylized look on this rendition but may of overdone it hehe

But umm does no one know how to do the technique that I'm talking about? =/ Not asking for much here.

Also here's the designs for earth and water, first earth:
    Essentially much much larger than the other elements, however unlike them he is bound to the element he represents and can never actually separate his body from it, but rather "grows" more of a body out of the earth creating more arms during the process to support himself.

Water:
    Not as happy with this design, Ive had alot of trouble trying to find something semi-unique. What Ive created here is an eyeless, armless swimming entity with a large fin like webbing between her feetless legs, was picturing a swimming style crossed somewhat between an eel and a dolphin. Behind the cheekbone area are faux gills, being an elemental theres really no need for her to actually dissolve oxygen from the water, however I thought some detail was needed. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite is the earth elemental. Well concieved. Very brutish, he looks powerful. And I dig his earth-bound ability, kindof a double edged sword type of deal, limiting but also helpful. What would happen if someone severed him from the earth?

I agree that the wind elemental isn't especially suggestive of wind and, to me, the same goes for the fire elemental but not as much.

The water elemetal reminds me of Abe from Hellboy, except its female. What kind of abilities does it have, besides obviously swimming and water breathing. Spending time thinking about that sort of thing could help you advance the design, because new abilities may warrant adding ceratin details or something.

Good designs so far, hope to see the progress you make with 'em.

Keep on Drawin'...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skirmisher-Glad you like the earth design, he's also one of my favorites atm. As for what would happen if he got seperated from the earth well.. I suppose he could retain his body mass for a brief amount of time, but would likely start dissintegrating (sp) and would have to pull more earth mass up to meet his separated body.

As for the wind elemental, well at first I was disagreeing with everyone but after taking a second look at it, especially after having found a set of rules for approaching the designs of earth and water I can agree that she's not windy enough, I'll remedy that asap.

Like Abe hmm? Meh, that was unintentional in the water design yet undeniable, so heres a new design which hopefully breaks away from the abe similarities more.

BTW: I'm still looking for some tips on how to get that glowing feel from wind's eye, I know someone has to know what I'm talking about. (I hope =/ )

Some more finalized works on Earth's design:

And rough pen sketches on new water design ( think of the stuff flowing down from the head and arms as a waterfall style curtain of water.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um, I wish I could show you how to get the glowing eye thing in real life, but I'll do my best to show you in words.

Okay, first of all, the color dodge airbrush is very good to use to make things glow (but use sparingly!) Another good way is to make a new layer and set it on normal (just leave it as it is, and don't change it to multiply or anythign). With that new layer, use a light color—like gold or white—to brush around eye. Don't completely cover it, though, because then it takes away from the effect. Once you have done that, then you can try setting that layer to Color Dodge. Play around with the settings like Opacity until you find something you like.

I sure hope this helps some, because those are some awsome pics you have going there!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What did the Earth Elemental say to the Water Elemental?

"Hey baby, wanna make mud?"

bad joke, alright, bad joke.

Anyway Earth is coming along really nicely. It feels like he can spring up from anywhere and like Atlas in Greek Mythology, the titan who was bound to carry the world on his shoulders, if one could lift him away from the ground, maybe they'd be able to get him! Really cool design...water needs to be clearer though, I can see the rough shapes and they're coming together well.

Can't wait to see a redesign of wind.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrea Smith-Thanks for the tip, your description was very very helpful. Although I'm unsure as to if this was the same technique I used before or not, it is giving me very similar results which I'm very happy with.

Darth Massacre-Thanks for the feedback, and bad joke. Should have a clearer representation of water up tonight/tomorrow along with some reworks on wind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Images as promised, nearly finalized design for water:

Bust sketch of Wind rework, dont worry in the final drawing it'll be much easier to read the torn cloth, just trying to get the feel of it for now:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.