Thanks

Advice Appreciated

Hey there!

I've been in a huge art slump, and I really want to improve and start working on personal projects. The majority of things I draw these days tend to be through commission, which has been great-- but I feel like my creativity has been killed off in the last couple years and I have no idea what direction I want to go with anything, or how to improve in general.

If anyone has any feedback/book suggestions/etc that might help me get back on track again, I'd be really grateful. I'm tired of feeling this way, and I thought maybe some brutal honesty might help me now haha.

This is a somewhat personal piece in the sense that it is an art trade with another artist I know. So there is some relaxation knowing that I wasn't paid for it.

I think it pretty much sums up where I am at the moment... I would normally go over it again before lines, and work out anatomical errors I see, and define more of the background, but for the purpose of critique I felt this might be a good point to pause.

EDIT: I've been looking through posts around the site and I'm currently looking into Proko and crtlpaint.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Charmsey; April 7th, 2018 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Multiple pictures, for some reason.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure if I should keep posting this piece. But I went ahead and cleaned up my mess and I'm still adding color. But it was definitely time to take a break and step away from it for awhile.
    Name:  29.png
Views: 366
Size:  303.1 KB

Backgrounds are something I admittedly don't do often, so if anything is downright appalling, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks
    I don't functionally understand what that person girl/boy thing is or how the body functions.

The window frame indicates a specific focal point for the 3d-ish-ness, but the desk and chair don't follow it.

The shoes look wonky in terms of where the arch is and toes point.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Yeah I agree with Modi you haven't integrated chicken and girl well in that pose. The whole concept is truly nightmarish though, is it meant to be a happy scene? Or is it meant to juxtapose?

For the background, imagine taking the back line of the desk and dragging it down to be level with the front, if all the other lines attached did the same thing, it would be somewhat more correct in terms of perspective.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback. I just completed this image for my friend yesterday, and sent it to them, but I will still go in and try what you mentioned with the background! I knew it was off, and I'd like to look at it and think somewhat the opposite.

The bird person was a tough one, since I couldn't find good references of a bird on it's back, and I can see where it looks detached. I just wasn't sure how to go about fixing it. The characters do not belong to me. But it is meant to be happy scene.

I'm starting a life study/gesture drawing sketchbook now, so hopefully I can post things more grounded in reality in the future.