Views: 1088
Size:  70.8 KBName:  ca example 1.png
Views: 1063
Size:  418.0 KBName:  ca example 3.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  71.2 KB

Hi!
    I'm pretty new here!

Any anatomy, lighting, detailing, background, or skill related critiques would be extremely appreciated!

As well as first impressions, and or suggestions for the arm, which i am still iffy about!
    I want the arm design to be sleek, both alien-ish and monstrous, something that could be taken as having monster OR alien origins!
    But overall it needs a "fast" appearance! I want it to be something where when you look at it you know that wherever she got her arm from, that thing was like a sneaky, deadly and very fast hunter/killer!

And so far, i like the one on the character sheet more, it's the longer and thinner one with the single tubing, but i'm not sure it's what i am going for, the single character images are closer, and i like the tubing and stuff, but it doesn't feel like a fast hunter to me, nor does it feel like it could be either monster/alien, more like complete sci-fi. I would like to keep the neat tube look, and the slight purple glowy-ness, but i'm not sure if it's possible without making it look like a full on alien. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Any suggestions on clothing types would also be very helpful!
    She's supposed to be judged wherever she goes and a sort of loner type character, so I imagine good clothes would be hard to come by! But at the same time, some cool dark threads could be nice too!
    I think the single pictures make her look too innocent and vulnerable, and that the spreadsheet is more accurate to her personality!
    I also think i might stay away form outfits similar to the ones in the larger singles pictures. the colors are too light, and again make her feel more like a victim than what I want to go for.

If any one has any ideas for the design (outfit types, different color choices/palettes, etc...) Feel free to share!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums!

You could post the outfit options image a bit bigger. It's hard to see the details. It's actually hard to see the arm details also.

If I had to guess by the images you shared, I'd say the arm is a mechanic prosthetic she got after losing her arm. It doesn't look that alien to me. But, again, images are too small or show the arm in a weird side position and I can't really tell.

A tube dress is pretty restrictive on the movements. I'd guess a fast, sneaky, person would wear something more functional, like tights and such.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    To be honest (and sorry if its harsh)

I am finding them all very difficult to read, the colours and backgrounds are way over the top and not needed. You only need to put the character in an environment when you have it as you want it.
    Take a look through some "assassins creed character concept art", in fact type that into google image search and you will see what I mean.

If the arm is the main issue the use a lightened silhouette figure and render up the arm doing its thing so the concept is easier to judge and understand.

I think what I am saying is see what the professionals are doing and emulate it, it will be easier to get into the industry if you are working in the same way. You will eliminate the learning curve to a degree.

I hope that helps and does not put you off at all.
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok! I will try to make a larger simpler character sheet next time that can showcase the arm in full detail rather than strange poses!

And thanks for the suggestion on something more functional!

Thanks
    Not harsh at all!

I think i understand what you meant by the "background as needed" part but want to be sure!
    In my images i just went for a generic lab look without any real location or story in mind, I was trying to make it cooler/more alive, but in doing this it became distracting, confusing, and actually managed to detract to the character, it would be better to leave it out for now, until i have a solid foundation/idea to work off of, rather than just having a background for the sake of background?

The rendering part is a tad bit confusing in your wording, you suggest a silhouette of the figure, but only lighten the arm and try to focus on the details of the arm there? If there's any way to send an example of what you mean I'd appreciate it!

Again, no need to worry about being harsh! This was exactly the kind of help I was looking for!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yurifica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah sure bear with me a while!!

Thanks
    OK here you go if the arm is the main thing then the lightened silhouette shows the figure shape but that's all, that's its only task.
    the arm is the point of it so we free the view and concentrate on that is its various guises.
    a bit like this sorry I butchered your figure but it took 5 mins to do all three ............................. and that's concept art fast concepts not final renders.
    Name:  test sheet.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  133.0 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    OK here you go if the arm is the main thing then the lightened silhouette shows the figure shape but that's all, that's its only task.
    the arm is the point of it so we free the view and concentrate on that is its various guises.
    a bit like this sorry I butchered your figure but it took 5 mins to do all three ............................. and that's concept art fast concepts not final renders.
    Name:  test sheet.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  133.0 KB
    Ahh! I have seen this done before but i'd almost forgotten about it entirely!
    This is incredibly useful!
    Thanks for taking the time to show me what you meant i'll be sure to use this method with future drafts of the character!