Thanks

Exclamation Art for a school project (Need Critique)

Hello!
    I made this drawing for my AP Literature class. We had to make either a drawing or a poem that expresses the essence of a character in the book we’re currently reading.

I have trouble drawing bodies in comparison to one another. This was also my attempt to make the drawing realistic but the people just ended up looking like cartoon aliens. I tried using reference and this was the outcome. Can this be fixed through practice?

Can you suggest anything I can do to fix this? Criticism on any other aspect of my that you see as wrong is also welcome.

(Sorry for the low quality picture)
    Name:  07D42F5C-F1B1-4DE4-81FB-2F52DD292536.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  105.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think this is going to take more practice than you can realistically get before this project is due. But I think learning proportions via Loomis would be helpful

4. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some quick fixes you could implement if your assignment is due soon:
    -Keep the facial features in the middle of the face instead of having them drift off to the side
    -Don't make the necks so elongated.
    -Try to make the shoulders even instead of having them slant.
    -Draw the hair growing out of the scalp (you did this fine with the girl but not with the boy).
    -Make the feathers more rounded.

Next time, practice drawing the characters before working on the final product in order to get a better feel of what they're like. Also as octopuscats mentioned, you should try reading some books by Loomis. I also recomend life drawing to accompany this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Munchies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I actually think the best thing you can do before this assignment is due is to try and get a good reference photo.

Don't actually trace over it, but try to get the proportions and shapes right. You can use a grid to help you at this stage.

Then you can build from that, adding wings, aureola, changing the hair, etc.
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by octopuscats View Post
    I think this is going to take more practice than you can realistically get before this project is due. But I think learning proportions via Loomis would be helpful
    Okay!
    I know I won’t magically improve in by the project due date but it is the first drawing I made in a while and it helps me to improve for the future.

Just a question. Which one Andrew Loomis’ books would you recommend I read first judging from this drawing alone? I’m only able to buy one at a time.

Thanks
    OK lets solve one problem at a time! Yes you need more practice and yes there are no magic wands to give you a magical image to hand in!
    But we can help you hand something in for the assignment.

But give me some information first "what book are you reading? and what pose do you want from it?" tell me that and I can suggest something.
    once we know what the brief is we can tell you how to throw some quick thumbnail images together and you pick the one that works for you.
    then we can scramble references and materials to help you get it together.

get us more info and we will help drag your ass out of trouble!

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    OK lets solve one problem at a time! Yes you need more practice and yes there are no magic wands to give you a magical image to hand in!
    But we can help you hand something in for the assignment.

But give me some information first "what book are you reading? and what pose do you want from it?" tell me that and I can suggest something.
    once we know what the brief is we can tell you how to throw some quick thumbnail images together and you pick the one that works for you.
    then we can scramble references and materials to help you get it together.

get us more info and we will help drag your ass out of trouble!

The book we’re reading is called The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. In this assignment we’re supposed to describe the essence of a character through either a poem, a drawing, or any other form of art.
    The character I chose was Benjy and Caddy Compson. Benjy is an adult who is mentally retarded and Caddy is his sister who’s always looking after him. I saw Benjy as an innocent person who's constantly being chastised by people who didn’t try to understand him, which is why I drew a halo above his head. I drew him as a child because of his innocence due to his mental illness and his childish behaviors. I drew Caddy behind him holding onto his shoulders since she is always there for him. She also has wings to signify freedom and innocence. Freedom to not let the men in her family control her sexuality and the innocence of helping people in need and understanding of her brother’s illness.

I also wanted to draw Billy with big eyes since I thought children had big eyes which is what makes them look innocent but he justs looks weird
    bashful

I wanted to draw Caddy behind Billy with wings to show her protective state and her freedom, which is why I chose this pose! I think it’s simple yet effective.

If you need anymore information I’ll gladly tell!

Thanks
    ok mate take your time and copy this!!
    Name:  Protector.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  64.3 KB
    Concentrate on drawing the shapes, shadows and darker bits after you have a rough head shape for the girl, just lightly put it together shapes and shadows.
    Take your time and don't panic!
    Keep chipping away at it and remember they are real people and think of them as 3d shapes.
    Last edited by Lightship69; April 8th, 2018 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks
    Just build up from rough shapes and go at it lightly until you get everything in its place!
    a bit like this (but better! hopefully lol)
    this took longer to scan than it did to draw, so crack on and post as you go.
    over to you!
    Name:  protector2.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  59.9 KB
    Attachment 2286309
    I hope it helps
    Last edited by Lightship69; April 8th, 2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: drawing didn't appear!

Thanks
    Take a look Proko basic Loomis head construction from book called head and hands but I recommend to dig deeper to it, Proko has structure of face and general anatomy