Thanks

Post Is there any hope of doing concept art?

Name:  Ruins 1.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  237.3 KB

I'm concerned that I'm just wasting my time. I would love to get into the Concept Art industry but I feel like I have no idea what is good enough. I want to know If i'm wasting my time or if I have any chance. All criticism is welcome!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looks like a lot of the stuff I see on ArtStation.com, which is a compliment.

I'm not an expert in things like composition, values, colors and stuff like that, but it seems pretty decent.

I saw some other more experienced member tell an artist to express function and intent on the concept. That's one thing I can't really tell just by looking at your design. It's a futuristic retrofit of some medieval ruins but what for? What does it do? What's its purpose?
    Last edited by pilgo; April 1st, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank You Pilgo! I agree, the direction is vague. I was trying to illustrate a previously advanced world that collapsed into another dark age. That has now reached mid evil level of technology. Where new architecture has been built to protect and understand the old advanced stuff, for whatever gain. It was too ambitious. again thank you for pointing that out that's exactly what I need to hear!

Thanks
    Excellent point by Pilgo!

Hiya mate, yes the point of concept art is to express an idea or concept from the directions or the "brief" given to you.

So you have to take that information and portray it in a given style, Take for example your brief "to illustrate a previously advanced world that has collapsed into another dark age"

Explore that idea and see what other have done before, Frazetta did one where a guy was looking at a ruined city in the distance, another one was a cave dude ruffian was walking up a street with ruins either side.
    these things portray or lead the viewer by the nose to look at the image and be told what it is.
    Your skills are well on the way mate but the way you "Use the brief!" is off and that is a mental thing, a "thinking thing" if you will.

What you did was add sci-fi buildings to a castle and it looks a bit weird and you ask what is it for!??

so what else could we do, well think of the Force awakens when Rey is living inside a smashed walker!

Take a sci-fi building and age it, make it look like its in disrepair, take a wall out and add a rough stone one, a tented area, rough welded bits of cars or transport crates with junk and rubble. This on its own though isn't enough as the devil is in the details. As it is it could be a Robinson Crusoe of space and we want a failed civilisation.
    So we add trappers skins staked out to dry, rough animal enclosures and more importantly more buildings in similar decline in the background.

Build the picture and tell the story, the narrative is everything in concept art as you don't have much time to give the client what he needs.

Bit long winded but I hope it helps you out and points you in a good direction mate!
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good job so far!
    What I can tell you is you don't need to texture everything. Like it is now is way too much for me.
    Is better to have less (or none) texture in shadow and more in the lights
    More texture on the focal point and less on the secondary elements.
    Try to emphasize your focal point and subtle the rest.
    By the way I really love the sky, the perspective and the grass. Keep it up!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Long winded is good! Thank you for your well articulated points. The more detailed the concept, the more rich and interesting the art that results!
    On a side note this is the first time I have posted on the internet for critique. God I wish I had done it sooner! after working on my own for so long it feels so good to get direct feedback. Thank you Lightship!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The BigFootLives For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Agreed! there absolutely needs to be a break for the eyes. I always try to use light to get good focal points, but It makes perfect sense to concentrate texture in the highlights and vice versa to further support them! Thank You very much ctool!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The BigFootLives For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stumbled upon this on ArtStation. Seems like a good example to depict the concept you described on your text.
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯