Thanks

Concept Artist & Illustrator at once - Concept Illustrator?

I'm standing before a decision - one that pertains to going for a college degree. I'm a little more than a month away from turning 21, and since last year, I've been drawing - practicing and learning as much as possible - seriously for the first time. I made my first drawing when I was 5 and was often known in class for my drawings throughout my school years, although high school was a little dry in that area. I hopped to certain other hobbies, including guitar, but ultimately, it seems that drawing and designing things through it really is my calling, and I've been very devoted to it ever since last year's decisions. At first I wasn't sure about going to college for it, and I am still thinking things through, but if I do, it will have to be something related to a certain industry at a school that has connections (I'm a resident of The Netherlands, by the way) with certain companies, leading me to opportunities to meet people there as well and to get to do the networking part of it as well. My eyes are currently set on 'game art', where I'm also hoping to learn more about the general process. Also in part because I feel it has plenty of ties with other kinds of illustration work, for example within the world of movies and TV shows.

Now, to the main question this topic pertains to; what if I want to be a concept illustrator? I certainly like to design stuff, but ultimately, I'm going to want to make illustrations the most - using my own ideas, if I can.
    (One of my inspirations within the industry is Raphael Lacoste, and landscapes are likely something I'm gonna want to do a lot of, though in many different ways with inspiration from dozens of other artists, too)
    I've seen people who consider/name themselves 'Concept Artist / Illustrator' and some even 'Concept Illustrator'. I know the general difference between concept art and illustration,
    but I was wondering if there is any way to combine the two, and if this 'concept illustrator' title has anything to do with it. Does this generally happen, or does it really boil down to picking one of the two?

Also, referencing the question as well as my given background, what advice, tips, suggestions or ideas might you have for me? Anything I could consider looking at, or doing, or investigating would be welcome.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    if you want to do "your own ideas" then you won't be either. Those disciplines require you to be a hired wrist working at the whim of the people paying you especially when you are starting out, autonomy is reserved for the best people working and even then not for most assignments. You want to paint for yourself go into gallery work or sell directly to clients.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is something I'd definitely do to some degree - making my own, completely original artwork and all that - of course, though by "my own ideas", in this context I mostly meant bundling the concept artist & illustrator's practices.
    Creating the designs, coming up with the idea(s) (at least for a part), and then also using that for an illustration if there is any way to allow for this. Since, as far as I understand, the concept artist develops the idea, the concept,
    and the illustrator takes it and places it inside of an illustration, essentially. That's the idea the title "Concept Illustrator" (which I've been seeing going around) made me think of.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Sounds like stuff made up by people who don't actually work as artists. Illustration and concept art are separate disciplines and your description is not how it works for the most part. Electronic entertainment doesn't need illustrators, magazine and book publishers don't need concept artists.

Edit: If you want to work, focus on getting a professional portfolio, that is all that clients care about. Personally, I think its a waste of time trying to come up with some gimmick about job titles. People who get the most work are good at what they do and can deliver quality work fast. That should be your only concern. The art markets are shit now anyways compared to ten years ago, for most people that means never making their living as an artist, those people undercut everyone else because to them getting their work used is a vanity thing, they don't depend on the money. And that means you have to be even better to get people to pay you decent money for what you do.
    Last edited by dpaint; April 1st, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: