Thanks

Not sure if this is all working

Hello, I haven't finished it completely, but i wanted to bring some light in from above the doll house and give more deep shadows. And some of the rooms are really unfinished. I'm really new to painting and trying to learn. I'm more of a drawer. I was hoping anyone could give me some insight or if there is anything off in this.

Name:  dollhouse (2).jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  147.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 991 Posts
    Everything still looks very cloudy with light scattered all over the place. There are no solid planes of color, it all seems to have a glow about it which is confusing to the eye.
    The drawing seems solid enough, I would go back to the lines, establish the light, block in the shadow then detail and color it right at the end.

Thanks
    Thank you. I thought it might be too light but I hadn't noticed the cloudiness at all. May be from painting over and painting over. I get a little lost i guess and just keep trying to get the results i want. I'm going to try to go back to some basics and keep working on my values, and then get to color again. Color is always where i get lost.

I tried to improve on this a bit and get a lot more darker values, not sure if i took it too far, but trying some different things out.

Name:  dollhouse7 (2).jpg
Views: 931
Size:  177.7 KB

Thanks
    Looks like you just tweaked the brightness / contrast.

What about doing some very basic cell shading first to get all shadows and highlights on the right places?
    Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks
    Yes super close. I used a burn filter to adjust the darkness of the shadows. But then added the light, highlights and shading after, and some lines. I will definitely try cell shading, and get back to some basics. Its easy to think you can skip some steps and get impatient, but I remember how much time i spent learning to draw, I should put more time into painting as well.

Hope I get there some day!

Thanks
    Ok I tried some cell shading. How did I do? I had to look up what cell shading is. I guess I have done it before in pencil or ink. It really made it easier to plan out where i wanted the shading and lighting to go, still have a lot to learn.

Name:  doll10 (4).jpg
Views: 871
Size:  110.0 KB

Thanks
    The doll itself was decently shaded before. I'd say most of the issues were on the house.

Regarding the cell shading, that's the point, yes. It makes laying the basic volumes and shadows easier.

The doll looks a bit flat to me on this last pic. Maybe the light source isn't helping to show the volumes. Can you post a pic showing where you intended the light source to be?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'd say about here a little more straight ahead instead of the side angle (terrible drawing). I was just trying to go with something really basic. Will work on the house a little now. I did screwed up a little though and painted the house on my line work.. so I'll have to redo the lines and then work on the shading.

Name:  Unnamed.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  61.8 KB
    Last edited by cupcakinglyk; April 1st, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    With the light where you put it, I think her side would be in the shadow, and it appears to be in light the way you drew.

Also the shadow her arm is casting onto her chest and face gives the impression the light source is lower than the arm itself. Maybe you should forget about cast shadows until everything else is sorted out. Its confusing the reading a bit.

Bear in mind that light position would make the house mostly in the dark, receiving only diffuse, refracted, light in its interior.