Thanks

Rejected from Calarts– Critique and feedback?

Found out I was rejected from Calarts (first year applying) and really want some feedback to what went wrong. Hopefully I can improve and apply again next year! Thank you

Here's a link to my portfolio: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_...0MDmQMjE3RF758

Hopefully this link works. Please tell me if it doesn't!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killuugh View Post
    Found out I was rejected from Calarts (first year applying) and really want some feedback to what went wrong. Hopefully I can improve and apply again next year!
    The level demonstrated varies quite a bit, from good figure drawing to some bad colour work, like city at a distance. I have no idea about the Cal Arts portfolio requirements, but I expect to see the ability to construct objects/figures in space, and some perspective studies. Make sure to only add your best work.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Why not post some pictures here. It's not even difficult to do!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Almost everything is thumbnails or sketches, even your more finished works look sort of rough. Unless they just wanted to see thumbnails and sketches, which are usually a small proportion of a portfolio. Your figure drawings are nice.

edit -

It literally says in the portfolio application to have varied work which sort of means all of your figure drawing was ignored, they were the more finished pieces as well. -

We are looking for personal work that gives us a sense of who you are as an artist, rather than academic work. Please do not include generic class assignments (i.e. technical exercises, figure/life drawing, still life drawings).

Last edited by tenchi24; March 27th, 2018 at 08:40 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenchi24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting submission book.

My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Interesting. But I don’t think that’s true. CalArts put a lot of emphasis on figure drawing, quick gestures and storytelling potential (ideas, characters, thumbnails,etc). They’re not not looking for like complete art work like illustration or something. Compared to others who got in, I always felt my stuff was more polished and maybe they didn’t like that? Not sure, but here’s a portfolio example of somebody who got in this year: https://despairdumplings.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Sorry lol. There’s like 40 pics and they’re all rather big files...

Thanks
    They put a lot on emphasis on figure drawing, gesture drawing, and storytelling ability. I agreed that maybe the weaker stuff killed it? Thank you

Thanks
    Lol thank you. Any critique for it? Haha )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by killuugh View Post
    Interesting. But I don’t think that’s true. CalArts put a lot of emphasis on figure drawing, quick gestures and storytelling potential (ideas, characters, thumbnails,etc). They’re not not looking for like complete art work like illustration or something. Compared to others who got in, I always felt my stuff was more polished and maybe they didn’t like that? Not sure, but here’s a portfolio example of somebody who got in this year: https://despairdumplings.tumblr.com/
    Well, since you clearly didn't read the submission requirements, here's some more things that might have rejected you:
    Did you submit through Slideroom, or did you link your google drive/youtube? That's an automatic rejection.

Did you remove all the titles from your images and only include titles /captions within Slideroom's title options? Or did you submit images with titles on them? That's also an automatic rejection.

Did you include an artist statement between 500 and 1000 words?
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)