Thanks

Showreel - Concept Art video portfolio WIP

Hi, I am putting together a showreel of my concept art and illustrations.

I studied art years ago, but never really took the plunge to move for work. I am hoping to get a full time position with a game developer or animation studio.

I think I am getting close, but I need to clean up and trim down this video before I'll feel like I can send it anywhere, so please give your honest critiques!

Here's the link to the YouTube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9q2yxwfA4
    Name:  FC6F100E-D18B-4B4F-AC1D-ABE984CDDC2F.jpeg
Views: 1088
Size:  37.5 KB

And one of the images, hopefully so this post will have a thumbnail
    Name:  4CDEF10F-BC53-4179-842B-DECE37F8EDD3.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  153.9 KB
    Last edited by Arkanthor; March 26th, 2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: No thread thumbnail

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Unless it's an animation example (like that unity game clip) or you turned an illustration/concept into a motion graphic, do not make a showreel of mostly static concept art pieces.
    It's an inconvenient way to showcase artwork.

If you want people to see your concept art and illustrations online, make a personal portfolio site and/or use established professional platforms like Artstation, Behance, etc.
    Recruiters and clients can get a lot of applications and they only have so much time to determine if an artist is a potential fit.

An online portfolio with thumbnails can be seen and processed more quickly and freely, images can be digested at the viewer's own pace.
    Where as a video can only display a single piece at a time with no indication to how long or how many will be seen, forces the attention and direction that a piece is viewed, and runs the risk of annoying people with music choice.

If you're doing job fair or conventions, bring printed portfolios. Only include your best work.
    If you do have an animation sample at a fair/convention then have that preloaded on your machine that doesn't require internet connection to run, that it isn't too reliant on sound, and is ideally under 2 minutes long.

Ditch that speedpaint.
    At first I thought the top was the finished piece rather than a reference and the bottom was the process leading up to it.
    It was (unintentionally) misleading, and if I were a company I'd question whether you can create landscapes from scratch.

Unless you're applying to the company that holds the intellectual property, avoid fan art in portfolios. Like that tyranid painting.
    Not everyone is familiar with every film/game creature/character/concept, and they could possibly mistake a well crafted fan piece as an original imaginative work.
    An exception to this is reimagining/reinterpreting of an existing idea or creating an original concept that fits within an established world and informing your audience to that; Artstation works with companies that sometimes run challenges based on this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    InfernoKing, Thank you for that great response! That’s exactly the sort of critique I was hoping for.

I'll ditch the speedpaint and the Tyranid. I think that's the only fanart in there, and should have known better (I recently finished it and was too attached to it ).

As for the video format, inconvenient is right! I have spent a ridiculous amount of time messing with that video, can't make things fit properly, it's just a terrible way to show static art. I did the video because it seemed like quite a few companies were asking for a showreel, and thought maybe that's the way things were going. Then I see some discussions on these forums that seem to agree showreel is just the word they use, but a portfolio is still best (*insert double facepalm).

So I suppose I'll switch back to a more traditional portfolio. I prefer that option anyway. I wanted to have something to print. And at least the video won't be a complete waste, I'll spend a bit more time on it and leave it on YouTube for the sake of my channel.

As for platforms, would you suggest something like Artstation over a manually compiled PDF?

Thanks
    Have an Artstation, it's a reputable industry standard at this point with no ads, but also have your own personal website(with no ads).
    The abrupt closing of a well known art hub was a hard lesson for a lot of artists about over relying on a single platform.

I guess you can make a pdf as a takeaway but I wouldn't make it the main gallery option.
    Generally just have an easily accessible gallery on the main page.
    Again freedom to quickly assess abilities, less possible incompatibility issues and one image having file error isn't as bad as a whole pdf.

If you're applying then it'll depend on the company you're applying to; as each has their own guidelines for submission in the job postings or career pages.
    Some will want only a resume and a link to a working portfolio site, as attachments take up space and can contain malware.
    But if they do want attached portfolio pdfs, then custom make one that fits the role you're applying for, versus an all-in-one example.
    So if you're applying for an environment artist position, then include your best environment samples not something that makes them have to scroll through a bunch of character illustrations.
    If you're applying for a 3d modeler position, don't have unrelated sketchbook studies.
    Last edited by InfernoKing; March 26th, 2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spacing error

7. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, Very subtle writing there. I forgot about that closure happening.

So I’ll start with the Artstation page then. I just bought a domain so if I decide to change platforms later, it will just be a matter of redirecting.

After a much more in-depth look, the Artstation site should be perfect anyway. I’m way late to the table on that one. I only gave it a quick look before today. I like how it defaults to all images, but has subcategories too. And the vertical scrolling within projects is nice too. The layout is much better than my old DeviantArt portfolio.