Thanks

Buying paints online

HI,

Anyone know of a good website for good deals on paints?

Thanks,

Kerry

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts

Thanks
    Dick blick has a good selection of products.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    you won't really beat Dick Blick or Jerrys Artarama for the price with shipping, online. They tend to stay within a few cents of each other on price; sometimes closeouts can be exceptional for one or the other but otherwise, they are the same. Blick probably has a little more of a selection at this point since it recently acquired Utrecht. Both stores offer stuff through amazon prime which can be better with shipping on items under the 35 dollars free shipping restriction.

Thanks
    If you live in Europe, jacksonsart.com has a lot of good stuff.
    You might also be able to buy from Boesner's online shop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    you won't really beat Dick Blick or Jerrys Artarama for the price with shipping, online.
    Forget about it if you live in Europe, though. They once sent me a shipment of Golden Acrylics for prohibitively expensive shipping. That is, they asked me if I was okay with their shipping and handling, I clearly let them know I was not okay, they pushed through, I refused their shipment at my door, and in the end they had it destroyed. So, no more Dick Blick for me.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Forget about it if you live in Europe, though. They once sent me a shipment of Golden Acrylics for prohibitively expensive shipping.
    Er.. Didn't it calculate the price it was going to be before you payed for it?

Thanks
    If I can't get what I want locally, then I hit Amazon. At least I can wrangle free shipping, even if it's a bit of a wait. The usual online suspects (Jerry's, Blick, etc.) tend to charge shipping like I'm living on another planet. Last I checked, Alaska is still a state. It's a bit of a rip-off to charge based on how much you spend and not how much it weighs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    Most non-EU websites don't handle import expenses for their EU-customers (as far as I know), because it's something that's basically "tax business" in the recipient's own country. At best you get a "you might have to pay additional fees depending where you live" written on the Shipping and Handling page. My boyfriend once bought some boots in the US, didn't tell me, and suddenly some dude from DHL was standing at the door wanting cash (or card) to hand over the delivery.

If your shipment is "busted" at the import control in Denmark, and your order is worth more than about 15 USD you'll get to pay 25% of the shipment's total value in VAT ( <--- Varies depending on country) + import fees.
    If the order exceeds something around 150 USD, they will also tax you for certain items, and that rate depends on the items, plus the above.

If you send a gift from US to Denmark, your gift can only have a 50 dollar value or something, and if it exceeds (even if a gift) they will charge you.... or rather, they will charge the one getting the gift.

Then there's all the exceptions (I think original art might be on the exception list). Like books are tax-free, yet when ordering from Japan's amazon only 30% of what I pay is the book itself as it is sold for in Japan. Amazon are nice though, they include all that weird VAT-stuff to the shipping price so I don't have to deal with it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    Nope. They refused to calculate shipping and handling beforehand, asked me to complete my order, and told me they would ask me me for confirmation about the price, after which I had the choice to cancel or continue. I canceled, and they shipped my order anyways.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Nope. They refused to calculate shipping and handling beforehand, asked me to complete my order, and told me they would ask me me for confirmation about the price, after which I had the choice to cancel or continue. I canceled, and they shipped my order anyways.
    That sucks! One weird thing that happened to me was I ordered some brushes and they sent me two brushes and a ball of twine. I just shrugged it off, but yeah maybe they do have something up.