Thanks

How long does it take you to finish a piece of art?

When I started drawing back in middle school, I remember that I would be so excited to see the end of a piece - so I would rush to finish it. Of course, the drawing would have looked a lot better if I had taken the time to flesh it out, redraw rough edges, and so on...Now, I realize that I must take my time to work on each piece I draw. Which leads me to the question: How long does it take for you to finish a piece of art?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    What kind of art? I do a lot of gesture drawings in 3 minutes each but it took me a solid month to do my 6 ft. X 8 ft. oil painting of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks
    Similiar thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...lete-a-drawing
    EDIT: why people get caught up how long something takes??? Its really doesn't matter if it takes you to week or year to finish, focus on quality instead of speed because speed will come
    Last edited by stonec; March 20th, 2018 at 06:08 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    Similiar thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...lete-a-drawing
    EDIT: why people get caught up how long something takes??? Its really doesn't matter if it takes you to week or year to finish, focus on quality instead of speed because speed will come
    Oh wow! A thread I made 11 years ago. I was a bit saddened at a friend claiming (for years) that she was working on a drawing for me and I made that thread....13 years later, she never ended up doing the drawing. I guess it should have been obvious.

I read and see so many artist interviews where the artist always gets asked how long their work takes. The length of time it takes to complete a work of art can be important depending upon the circumstances, but in general I think that the end product should matter the most.

I will say though that in my experience doing drawings for people, most people tend to lose interest if the drawing takes weeks or months. I've actually seen people just 4-5 days later asking if a drawing was finished, even after I mentioned that a drawing can take more than 20 hours. Some people message you every week asking if the drawing is completed. I just send people progress images in the meantime now, although I think seeing just a completed work is better than seeing the rehearsals along the way.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameDragon For This Useful Post: