Thanks

Your parents were right.

I felt alot of different emotions when I heard this, but I thought I would share. My brother (18yrs old) recently had 2 friends die a couple months apart.

Friend 1:
    On a lake boating with some friends. They were pretending they were drowning, and a boat came over to help, but they told them they were just joking. My brothers friend aparently wasn't a good swimmer, and got knocked out of the boat somehow a short while later, and thrashed around in the water. The boat nearby thought they were horsing around again, and I guess his friends did too...he drowned.

Friend 2:
    Asked his brother about a good fishing place. His brother told him of this place near this lake where firemen go train because its dangerous there, not to go over the tracks. His friends wanted to go over the tracks (which has "no tresspassing signs all over it), but he didnt. They persuaded him; he gave in and went. There was this ladder you had to climb down, and then jump onto this platform. He missed the jump and fell 90 feet into a crumpled heap, lasting 2 hours until an ambulance arrived, and died shortly after they evacuated him.

At first I thought "how awful!". But once I thought about it, both of these guys could have really prevented thier own deaths, if they hadn't have been so weak. Friend 1 could have told his friends that pretending to drown isnt funny, its serious, and to stop it. He would have gotten some help from the boat and lived. Friend 2 could have just stayed where he was supposed to be. It's sad, but both of these guys got what they deserved. Or maybe its not "what they deserved", death is hardly a fair penalty for tresspassing or horseplay, but they were a substantial factor in their own ends.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or anything, just sharing some thoughts. Anyone who has any thoughts on the matter, or something to share, feel free.

When your parents told you to "be careful", "you could get hurt", they were right.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Jetpack -

These 2 stories are very bad situations. And Im sorry for the loss.

But they happened, and nuthin could have prevented it.

If my school friend Sylvia had councilling, she would still be alive today. She never got to talk about her problems, so decided to take her own life. Its an easy way out for people in her situation.
    But it seems these two boys had a run of bad luck...

And yes, mothers are ALWAYS right......
    edit 'Parents'....god damn...

Mollyx
    Last edited by Molly; November 3rd, 2004 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    sorry for the losses guys..

I have a friend who cut herself a bit too deep in school; i dont know what with. I saw an ambulance and wasnt too sure what it was,and shrugged it off, even though curiosity bugged me. A few days later she still wasnt in school, i then found out that ambulance was for her and she was taken to the hospital. She lived,but she almost died. People would be suprised to how many kids only in middle school (6-8th grade)who already self inflict injuries upon them. I know a few several people who do.

I thought id share that as well.

Thanks
    yeah, your parents are alwas right...they are trying their best to keep you safe and healthy. my parents get really worried sick when i'm out too long wiht my friends (especially at night). so nowadays i can only hangout wiht friends until 10 or 11 depending on the circumstances. also it depends on how well my parents know my friends. i always go out with my cell phone, that my dad bought for me for emergency purposes. (cheap decent cellphone)
    i understand how my parents care about me and i respect that. i don't ignore them and think they are fooling themselves. your parents always decide whats best for you. parents have their responsibilty and duty to protect you untill you are of age to take care of yourselves. since i'm 16, things will be that way for a while for me. when i'm 18 i will have my responsiblities and my parents will expect me to take good care of myself. you see what i mean. your lucky your parents aren't turtles that leave behind the newborn and expect them to grow up and survive.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    man im sorry to hear than, luckily for me no one extremely close has died yet but ive known many cases like that of people at highschool i somewhat knew, it really makes u think and death sucks but its a part of life, the people i knew one died skiing last year, broke his neck, another girl i actually was friends with died with 3 other people a few weeks ago in a drunk driving accident, all 4 died, its such a shame that with just a few simple precautions death could be avoided, but then again that can be said about anything and i guess it wouldnt be the same..
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    not to make light of your experiences guys, butl, theyre not always right, i mean, it hasn't fallen off and i havent gone blind. yet.

...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    I dunno what id do without my parents. Even when im in college, im probably going to go to a college near by where they are. Im not gonna have em take care of me but just be aruond them.

Thanks

Thanks
    coulda fooled me.

ha!
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    yeah, my best friend knew this girl at school. she died on halloween (no joke!) in a car crash with her boyfriend. investigators say it wasn't the guy who was driving. the other guy that crashed into them was probably drunk. drunk driving is the stupidest thing EVER! i mean what kind of fucknut would drive drunk!?
    i don't understand why some dude would get in his car after four bottle of beer and drive! it is completely retarded!

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    I could understand the second one.. I mean.. we all have an adventurous side, even as kids, exploring and whatnot. But, the first one, pretending to drown?

Thanks
    yeah, i know...pretty stupid.
    reminds me of the kids who spray paint up their nose with a spray paint can.

Thanks
    We had a kid who huffed halon (halon is a fire retardant that removes all oxygen from an area). He was dead before he hit the floor.

Unless it falls along the lines of meteorites or drive-by shootings, most deaths are preventable (Molly). What we lack (by varying degrees) is the ability to foresee the consequences of our actions. We also fool ourselves by calling them "accidents", implying that nothing could be done. The government refers to them as "mishaps" and will go to great cost and effort to assign cause. This may seem like scapegoating, but has saved quite a few lives.

If my sister had run with a different crowd, she probably wouldn't have been shot in the head this summer and her children would still have a mother. But, she knew the risks and did it anyway.

My condolences to your brother and his friends' families, Jetpack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Unless it falls along the lines of meteorites or drive-by shootings, most deaths are preventable (Molly).........What we lack (by varying degrees) is the ability to foresee the consequences of our actions. We also fool ourselves by calling them "accidents", implying that nothing could be done. The government refers to them as "mishaps" and will go to great cost and effort to assign cause. This may seem like scapegoating, but has saved quite a few lives.

Dude, good point you made...

Mollyx

Thanks
    a friend of mine got mixed up in heroine and couldnt quit. he o'd on a saturday morning. he hated herione but that shit controled his mind......