Thanks

Essential Oils in painting?

Oil painting! Just getting back into oil painting after some years, and learning more about it as I go. Recently have been looking for alternative means of thinning paint without use of toxic solvents (ie Turps and spirits)...and my search has come upon the use of essential oils.

It's been documented since, what, the Renaissance, since oils like Spike Lavender and Rosemary being used as a solvent alternative. More pricey alternative but far safer and apparently more efficient than Turps.

What I am trying to find out is whether Spike and Rosemary are the only workable essential-oils that does the job, or if there are more. Any essential oil? What's the difference? Could I expect the same workflow and efficiency with non-spike lavender or something entirely different?

Oil painters lend me your knowledge with your experience with essential oils as an alt for painting!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Non spike lavender oil will have impurities in it. You don't need a lot of spike lavender oil - a small bit goes a long way. I love using it, but it does make the place smell like a boudoir.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Be aware that thinning with solvent is different from using oil; make sure you understand fat over lean.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    I figured the reason Spike Lavender and Rosemary are the obvious choice is due to their potency in camphor which exists in both Rosemary and Spike Lavender. Not all lavender oils contain camphor (or as much as, to the least) like Spike.
    Is it the camphor in them that creates the solvent-like properties? If not, would any other essential oil do just as well? How about woody essential oils or even rose?
    My goal is to grab a fair understanding behind the use of EO in oil painting. Not a whole lot of info on the matter when I Google.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    Don't get any on you. Google "essential oils and male breasts"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    Yes. I found it interesting when I read it, but not a concern to me since I have no interest in essential oils. (Unless olive oil is an essential oil. I cook with that stuff.)

Thanks
    I think I've come to a conclusion that it's indeed the camphor chemical in certain plants that give the solvent-like properties. Spike Lavender and Rosemary being a couple of those that contain a nice concentration. There's also camphor oil which I'm now pretty sure can be used as an alt solvent to thin paint. So it's not the fact that essential oils act as a thinner, but only certain plants that contain camphor.
    Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Non spike lavender oil will have impurities in it. You don't need a lot of spike lavender oil - a small bit goes a long way. I love using it, but it does make the place smell like a boudoir.
    My one trip to Australia involved a long, sleepless flight in a hot, cramped plane. They pumped a lot of lavender scent through the air vents, the whole time.

I don't think I could cope.

Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    (Unless olive oil is an essential oil. I cook with that stuff.)
    Nah, essential oils are very concentrated distillations, that can hold harmful levels of certain compounds. The bottles always have a warning not to apply it directly to skin, let alone ingest it.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    My one trip to Australia involved a long, sleepless flight in a hot, cramped plane. They pumped a lot of lavender scent through the air vents, the whole time.

I don't think I could cope.
    It does fade, but some people are very sensitive to the smell like you, poor delicate flower

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm shocked they're allowed to do that. A lot of public places in my country have strict bans on perfumes and other scented products because scent allergies are so common.
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)