Thanks

Help with portrait

Name:  C6fJEZKVUAIu55i.jpg-large copy.jpeg
Views: 1187
Size:  49.3 KB Name:  C6fJEZKVUAIu55i.jpg-large copy.jpeg
Views: 1169
Size:  103.6 KB
    Hanyu Yuzuru, 3 hours, mechanical pencil with 2B lead, reference picture on right.

Thought this piece looks odd when zoomed out, but not sure why. Is it the shading? Proportions?
    This is the 3rd portrait I've drawn so far, any tips for drawing portraits is appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by Salior; March 17th, 2018 at 12:21 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,005 Posts
    His left eye is more slanted, his nose doesn't follow perspective, and his chin is more rounded.
    I suggest you check these with an overlay. As for value, you use a bad photo for reference, where light does not model the face. If you are really skilled, you can correct this in your drawing, but until then, use better reference.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah thank you, guess I'll need to use overlay more.

Light does not model the face as in there's no clear direction of the light?

Thanks
    The light seems to be from more than one direction so you don't have to deal with dark shadows or extreme hilights… that's good if you are learning the face structures and fullness. Shadows often cause issues with reality and some people actually use that technique to mask the fact that they actually have no idea what structures lie under the skin. So, instead of just sketching a reproduction of a picture I recommend you ask a friend to sit for you and you sketch/build their real head from real shapes, add the features and forms the same way, and really be a part of what you are trying to draw. You've done a nice job so far, but it will always feel flat and lack "life" in the drawing if there is no believable structure beneath. Don't expect to capture the same thing a camera captures, just use the image as reference and don't beat yourself up if it doesn't look "perfect". You said you are just starting? Learn the structures!! It will be a struggle if you don't. Keep posting!