Thanks

Starting in digital art

Hi, I'm new here and I'll use the forums to ask some things that I've been wondering or things I need help with.

I'm looking to go into digital art and things like video game and film concept art interest me, specifically environments, architecture, vehicles, etc. I have to learn by myself because I have a low budget and can't go to a school or classes.

So what things should I learn and with what things should I start or what would you recommend me to do?

I'm good at drawing, some painting, both with traditional tools.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you can draw and know the fundamentals of painting, you can proceed to learning how to apply that knowledge in digital. Learn Photoshop and paint studies, preferably from life if possible (e.g. table-top still life) and from photos until you have a decent grasp of the software.
    At some point you'll need to familiarize yourself with 3D applications if your aim is to work in concept design so you can at the very least blockmesh or better still do more detailed designs in 3D before you go into 2D.

I could probably point you to specific resources, but that's hard to do without knowing where exactly your skills are at right now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You could start sketchbook here so we can see where you are at skill-wise

Thanks
    Ok, I will make a sketchbook here, give me a few days to work on some drawings.

Thanks
    It's pretty boring to see the same question pops up every week
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t-program-quot

The site should puts more emphasis on the existence of the search function
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    why do you reply, then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    It's pretty boring to see the same question pops up every week
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...t-program-quot

The site should puts more emphasis on the existence of the search function
    You are right, I think new members should post art before asking these kind of question because everybody who joins could be in different stage and its really hard to give critic if you don't know where he/she is at and read stickies which most of new comers probably miss
    Last edited by stonec; March 12th, 2018 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Merged posts. Chill out Alexa.

Also, people can feel free to ask whatever they want. If folks don't feel like answering, just drop a link to someone elses answer.

Thanks
    Sorry. I can't find how to upload images.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Drag and drop is the easiest. The attachment manager is awol unless you go advanced. Make sure images are 1500px and 500kb max.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, gotta admit the drag and drop feature is pretty great.

Thanks
    Thanks.

Thanks
    What degrees should I get if I want to work in concept art, animation, movie visual effects and things like that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexaDawn View Post
    What degrees should I get if I want to work in concept art, animation, movie visual effects and things like that?
    None, the only thing that gets you hired is your portfolio. To build a good portfolio you can study in a art-school or teach yourself online. The choice is yours, since the best method depends on your personality.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No one said that nowhere. I searched here before asking and found nothing. So I ask what I need. But if you will help saying that, then it's not worth it.

why something like this happens every time I ask something to someone.

I didn't post art first because I don't have any work of what I want to do, I have one in progress but is not going well, that's why I asked.
    Well to my defense , it's pretty tiring replying to the same " how to start ? " question every few weeks or even every few days, and they are pretty much the majority of the content in Art discussion really. And it takes a lot of explanation to make an advice not a blanket statement.
    I even gave you the link to the thread that I spent a lot of effort trying to explain my points, that one includes a lot of subject to be covered, my take on it and where I think will give you the best information available on the subjects.

So more on learning: imo , Good school > Premium online school/course > Bad school > Shitty "free" online art tutorials.
    Digital art is pretty much traditional art done on a computer, the principles are pretty much the same. Go to a reputable art school or atelier if you can, otherwise pay to learn from sites like New Masters Academy or ctrlpaint. The internet is full of free information for sure, but information is simply information, you need somebody to validiate, filter, organize, structuralize information to get a program that you can rely on.

Note that I don't say all free stuff are bad so don't bash me on this
    Last edited by GPhong; March 13th, 2018 at 08:26 PM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I understand. Before I asked, I searched in this forum, but for some reason I couldn't find what I needed and I didn't knew that I should post my art before asking, I thought it was after. So I did what I thought correct and asked. Next time I'll be more careful.

Also regarding the last line in your answer free stuff is the only one I can get, so I thought it would be good to seek good critiques to know if I'm doing it well.
    Online art courses and subscription are not too expensive ( NMA is like 40 bucks a month ) , that's coming from someone in a third world country like me. And they really help you doing all the stuff i mentioned above regarding information . We are talking about possibly 10 hours or more worth of content from a reputable artists with a background of education who are validated by many people versus random tutorials on Youtube ro Pinterest ( that may contain worthy information but is usually very scattered )

I have seen a few people done well with free stuff but even more people wasting years of their life because of horrible studying plan.

Thanks
    I think this website is one of the best free resources. Even if you post your work and nobody bites, you can learn a lot from reading other people's critiques and advice. So yeah i would second posting in a sketchbook, and heading to the critique section. The stickies also have tons of resources in them.

"What degree to get?"
    That's a hard question, because you need to ask yourself why do you feel you need the degree? Are you really looking for a degree or are you looking for education? Unfortunately those things may be found in two different places. And with that I will tell you to look up some past threads on art schools/ateliers, there's just too much to say. But the majority of folks will probably tell you you don't need a degree to get into concept art/design.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCowan View Post
    I think this website is one of the best free resources. Even if you post your work and nobody bites, you can learn a lot from reading other people's critiques and advice. So yeah i would second posting in a sketchbook, and heading to the critique section. The stickies also have tons of resources in them.

"What degree to get?"
    That's a hard question, because you need to ask yourself why do you feel you need the degree? Are you really looking for a degree or are you looking for education? Unfortunately those things may be found in two different places. And with that I will tell you to look up some past threads on art schools/ateliers, there's just too much to say. But the majority of folks will probably tell you you don't need a degree to get into concept art/design.
    Why I think I need a degree? ... mmh... To have more education and possibilities of getting a job.

But if you are sure it's not necessary, then I should not worry.

Thanks
    Why I think I need a degree? ... mmh... To have more education and possibilities of getting a job.

But if you are sure it's not necessary, then I should not worry.
    Haha, well don't just take my word for it. I'm just saying do lots of research, and if you choose to go to school do it for the right reasons, not just because you think that's what you're supposed to do to get a job. It might not be the case.

Thanks
    If you're aiming for a job, aside from skills, you'll need the right networking. That is one of the few things a traditional school of arts or local, presential, courses can offer that online tutorials and courses usually don't.

Remember that most of the times a job position won't be filled by the most qualified artist available. Networking will vastly improve your chances of being the right person at the right time.

Please, note that I'm not, by any means, saying that skills are not important. Just shedding light on another aspect that also matters quite a bit, specially if you're so concerned about a professional career.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    If you're aiming for a job, aside from skills, you'll need the right networking. That is one of the few things a traditional school of arts or local, presential, courses can offer that online tutorials and courses usually don't.

Remember that most of the times a job position won't be filled by the most qualified artist available. Networking will vastly improve your chances of being the right person at the right time.

Please, note that I'm not, by any means, saying that skills are not important. Just shedding light on another aspect that also matters quite a bit, specially if you're so concerned about a professional career.
    I completely forgot about that. Thanks for telling me that.

Thanks
    Hi, I think this week I will have time to upload some of my works.

I have the software Blender, after learning about the interface what should I start with: modelling or sculpting?

Thanks
    Why not just start with whatever you feel like doing at the time, so long as it gets you to upload some actual work.

Thanks
    Ok.

I wanted to upload work last week, but I ended with too much things to do, and I couldn´t even draw.

Thanks
    Hi, here is the link to my sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...book-AlexaDawn

Thanks
    I know I should post my work more often, but I can't find the time to do it.

But I have a question: After making a, for example a movie, what happens to the unused designs they made? I mean, the ones they thought they would use, but ended changing the design for some reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Everything made for a client in the entertainment industry is owned by the client. Artists sign a contract stating all work created for the project is owned by the company. Some companies will allow the artists to use their work in their portfolios after the project ends.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    Hi, I think this week I will have time to upload some of my works.

I have the software Blender, after learning about the interface what should I start with: modelling or sculpting?
    Modeling. Until you have a base model, you have nothing much to sculpt on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Modeling. Until you have a base model, you have nothing much to sculpt on.
    You're right. Thanks.