Thanks

Red face [WIP] Military mech

A Mech inspired by the look of modern military vehicles, particularly the abrams tank, which i hope you can see the resemblance.
    Its close to being finished as i have refined the joints and the shapes to how i wanted them to be but i am not yet a 100% sure that it is finished in terms of the design and the overall feeling of it.
    So i wanted to show it to a more professional and experienced people before i show it to the world.

[WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech
    [WIP] Military mech

My idea was to make the design look relatively simple and functional. To feel rigid and strong like a tank and functional, with a clear purpose like a robot.

In the first darker renders, the "darkness" in the edges is suppose to represent sand and dirt is it would be battling in a desert environment. The biggest issue i have is rendering it properly, or well...rendering it at all. I am a bit limited with hardware and dont posses good composition and lighting/rendering skills, so i was hoping to get a few pointers here on it. I used blender to make this and rendered it in blender internal for a more cartoony feel to it, something like from a animated movie like appleseed. So if any of you are a expert with rendering in blender with the freestyle rendering please do show me a few tricks and tips
    Critiques are highly appreciated as i want to make it the best i can and to show it off on my artstation [WIP] Military mech

P.S. sorry for the big images...better for them to be bigger, so you can zoom out if you need to rather than if they were small and than not even zooming in would help you
    Last edited by THEchosenONE; March 10th, 2018 at 07:53 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It looks ok, but I am not certain about a few things.

First - this isn't designed to carry a person, right? I can't find a way that would be feasible.

The foot looks way small on the front end to support odd weight or terrain.

The foot 'ankle' itself looks improbable in that first picture (with the lean over the center bar).

What's the functional use of the rectangle panels everywhere?

Is the only weapon for the overly human hands on this robot is an overly human used gun?
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modi123 View Post
    It looks ok, but I am not certain about a few things.

First - this isn't designed to carry a person, right? I can't find a way that would be feasible.

The foot looks way small on the front end to support odd weight or terrain.

The foot 'ankle' itself looks improbable in that first picture (with the lean over the center bar).

What's the functional use of the rectangle panels everywhere?

Is the only weapon for the overly human hands on this robot is an overly human used gun?
    1. no, it is not designed to be piloted from the inside. It is design to be remotely controlled and sometimes be controlled with AI.
    2. The foot has a heel extension in the back than can be lowered and used as extra support.
    3. It is not easy to make the joints not clip in all or most of the angles, that is a rare situation that i didn't see that it clipped and was at a awkward angle. I will fix that in the final renders.
    4. The functional use is that they are the reactive armor panels found on tanks (couldn't post images but you can google reactive armor and you will see)
    5.So far yes, i thought of making a few more but i need to be sure first that the one i currently have is good. And both the hands and gun are big because having a lot of armor doesn't really mater if the bot cant hit back hard enough.

And after all the purpose of the bot is warfare, so if it was piloted by a human it would kill the point of it being a robot, since again there would be human casualties.

Thanks
    *shrug* Ok.. typically the term 'mech' conjures up piloted battletech/mech warrior ideas.
    Droned robots are a different thing.
    My commentary is a gift to you.

Thanks
    This would fall under mecha as a genre, but it's not really a mech without a pilot.
    Drone or "Unmanned Ground Vehicle" would be a more accurate given the contemporary military vibe you're going for.
    Semantics aside....

I like the first rendering style over the cel-shading, but that's a personal preference; sorry I don't use blender much so I have no advice in that regard.

It's a nice model, but I agree about the ankle and foot issue.
    There's a lot of detail to show the articulation of the arms and even the knees, but not so much for the parts that support the whole thing.
    Usually ankle joints will use ball-and-socket, a Stewart platform/hexapod mechanism, or a combination of them.

Theres nothing that really provides a sense of scale for it.
    How large is this supposed to be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    This would fall under mecha as a genre, but it's not really a mech without a pilot.
    Drone or "Unmanned Ground Vehicle" would be a more accurate given the contemporary military vibe you're going for.
    Semantics aside....

I like the first rendering style over the cel-shading, but that's a personal preference; sorry I don't use blender much so I have no advice in that regard.

It's a nice model, but I agree about the ankle and foot issue.
    There's a lot of detail to show the articulation of the arms and even the knees, but not so much for the parts that support the whole thing.
    Usually ankle joints will use ball-and-socket, a Stewart platform/hexapod mechanism, or a combination of them.

Theres nothing that really provides a sense of scale for it.
    How large is this supposed to be?
    I like the "Mech" name more but i see what you are saying. The first rendering is also cel-shaded but with added dirt and shadows...which im trying to figure out how to add in the other version.
    And i dont like the ball and socket joint cause from a engineering point of view its a lot worse than a regular cylindrical joint. Sure it gives more freedom but also has more friction, so requires more energy to move and is a lot easier to break...both you dont want on a robot that is suppose to be the front line on a battlefield.

So ill see to improve the knee and feet a bit and refine the rendering style.

Thanks
    Engineering point? You gave that thing opposable thumbs and flexible fingers, there are so many less complicated ways for a robot to interface with other hardware.

Anything involved bipedal walking robots is going to be complicated.
    Ankles could be a combination of rounded cylinder bearings, perpendicularly-stacked cylinders, magnetic and/or hydraulic cushioning, etc. Heck, other mecha designs tend to hide the joints behind armored greaves, which makes sense given the combat roll.

Only with this presentation, the dynamic poses of the legs are in conflict with the clearly visible limitations of the current ankle joints; which is quite a contrast to the amount of detail you put in elsewhere on the machine.

These are just suggestions, it's your design.

By the way is this a general exercise?
    Is it for hobby, or are you aiming to get into games, 3d printing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    Engineering point? You gave that thing opposable thumbs and flexible fingers, there are so many less complicated ways for a robot to interface with other hardware.

Anything involved bipedal walking robots is going to be complicated.
    Ankles could be a combination of rounded cylinder bearings, perpendicularly-stacked cylinders, magnetic and/or hydraulic cushioning, etc. Heck, other mecha designs tend to hide the joints behind armored greaves, which makes sense given the combat roll.

Only with this presentation, the dynamic poses of the legs are in conflict with the clearly visible limitations of the current ankle joints; which is quite a contrast to the amount of detail you put in elsewhere on the machine.

These are just suggestions, it's your design.

By the way is this a general exercise?
    Is it for hobby, or are you aiming to get into games, 3d printing?
    All joints on the bot are consisted of multiple cylindrical joints and i have tried my best to give them as much freedom as possible without visible clipping. Which, trust me is really hard when you actually have to move and pose the bot in different ways.

And the ankle will probably be multiple stacked cylinders and i will see if i will be able to put armor above it, but highly doubt it as it severely limits the range of motion.

It is a exercise cause i haven't posted anything in a while and i have tried multiple times to make a bot 3D model. And this one by far has reached the farthest of the all to being completed.
    And i am trying to get into the gaming industry as a concept artist...robots, weapons designer

Thanks
    here you can see my portfolio ---> https://www.artstation.com/thechosenone

Thanks
    Ooh, nice helmets!

I'm not a designer, feel free to completely ignore, I just like to play "let's see how this design can be broken" game sometimes =D
    But clipping kinda means something is not okay with the joints, right?
    In a game/movie/real life it won't just stand still so all that possible clipping will occur eventually. Unless you restrict your angles to some limits.

The ankle is very simple one degree-of-freedom joint, yes, and it actually feels like a good thing for a 'tank-inspired' design. Usually it's the simplest design, with as little moving parts as possible that survives time (like good old AK-47 =) Multiple joints mean more things can break/freeze/wear out, and it'll be harder to fix in the field. And if it's a HUGE robot most potential enemies would go for the legs first.
    But with that ankle you'll have to turn the whole leg somewhere at pelvic joints. Think imperial AT-ST.
    It can't give you human-like movement though, hence angle restrictions. Then again humans are not exactly efficient or reliable.

On the other hand, making this joint more complex will probably make the overall design feel more balanced. But a joint like that with no armor is just an enemy fire magnet. If you're going to add those multiple cylinders, armor is your friend. It makes little sense to leave it less protected than a thigh.
    Well, imho.