Thanks

My first portraits

Hello everybody!
    So, I have watched some videos on youtube on how to draw a portrait and this is the first portrait I have ever drawn:
    Name:  020.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  359.7 KB
    the reference photo:
    Name:  76 .jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  99.4 KB

I wasn't quite satisfied with the first one so I drew another one:
    Name:  018.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  126.9 KB
    the reference photo:
    Name:  17 .jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  427.1 KB

your comments are appreciated.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You are missing structure take a look azaro heads, proko (youtube channel) Loomis head and hand book, also I highly suggest you to start drawing from life as it helps you to see forms better simple still life is good way to start, What I see you are missing darkest dark's

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

al!

Thanks
    Watch out for iconography. For example, the eyes look like the mind image we have of an eye and not much like real eyes look like.

Also look out for volume. The whole drawing seems very flat, despite of the shading.

A basic foundation of anatomy would be a good thing, like @stonec suggested.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

al!

Thanks
    Stonec offered some good advice, if you want to learn to draw faces outside of copying photos you need to learn how heads actually work. But more to the point if these are your first portraits you don't really need critique, right now what you need to be doing is drawing more. You'll learn from your mistakes and stuff, but first you have to make them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

al!

Thanks
    For first portraits you sure did a thorough job! I see you have the patience and understanding of shading, and those are good things! As recommended above, I agree, study the underlying structures that make the shape of the head. Think of it as a snowman, as far as building and carving the form. Each structure on the face, be it an outy (nose, chin, lips, ears) or an inny (eye sockets, open mouth) each have their own structures/shapes and are the features that make us all unique. I'm Italian, and my nose tells people that before I do! haha Find a "anatomy for artists" book (there are MANY and in theory they are similar in reasoning... they tell you "learn the bones and muscles so your skin is stretched over something with mass and volume". They may have different ways of going about it, but the heads are usually taught similarly. Don't be discouraged, and practice lots and lots of NON FINISHED sketches! If you worry about making everything right or shaded or realistic you will hold yourself back from absorbing the basics. Sketches are the notes and references and stream of conciousness-thoughts that help us get ideas onto paper, they aren't finished art, they are rough drafts to push and pull and fix and yell at. But they get us to where we want to go. Keep posting, keep asking for help. I'd love to see your progress.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to toplessartist For This Useful Post:

al!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    You are missing structure take a look azaro heads, proko (youtube channel) Loomis head and hand book, also I highly suggest you to start drawing from life as it helps you to see forms better simple still life is good way to start, What I see you are missing darkest dark's
    Thanks. I think scanning the drawings made the shading to look lighter, however I will definitely look into it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessartist View Post
    For first portraits you sure did a thorough job! I see you have the patience and understanding of shading, and those are good things! As recommended above, I agree, study the underlying structures that make the shape of the head. Think of it as a snowman, as far as building and carving the form. Each structure on the face, be it an outy (nose, chin, lips, ears) or an inny (eye sockets, open mouth) each have their own structures/shapes and are the features that make us all unique. I'm Italian, and my nose tells people that before I do! haha Find a "anatomy for artists" book (there are MANY and in theory they are similar in reasoning... they tell you "learn the bones and muscles so your skin is stretched over something with mass and volume". They may have different ways of going about it, but the heads are usually taught similarly. Don't be discouraged, and practice lots and lots of NON FINISHED sketches! If you worry about making everything right or shaded or realistic you will hold yourself back from absorbing the basics. Sketches are the notes and references and stream of conciousness-thoughts that help us get ideas onto paper, they aren't finished art, they are rough drafts to push and pull and fix and yell at. But they get us to where we want to go. Keep posting, keep asking for help. I'd love to see your progress.
    Thanks for your encouraging comment.
    I'm going to watch proko portrait, anatomy, and figure drawing courses on youtube to improve my drawing skills (I was going to move on to draw animals and learn animal anatomy, but it looks like I should still spend more time on human anatomy).
    And what you said about "worrying about making everything right", I think it is exactly my problem! I'm gonna do as you said to fix this.
    Last edited by al!; March 11th, 2018 at 09:47 AM.