Thanks

Cow Final sketch feedback

Hi there, fellas!

I wanted to break away from tons of studies I've been doing lately by creating this simple, cartoony autoportrait.
    I'd like to kindly ask you for some feedback on the initial sketch that I am going to scan and paint digitaly.

Can you see anything wrong or weird with the construction, perspective or composition? These are my main concerns here. Composition especially!
    I created some negative space(room to breathe, if you will) and focused more detailed areas (like face , the sheet of paper between his hands or the window) around this red, curved line and
    I kinda feel like it's sorta working, but I am really unsure about this one since I am not that advanced with composition.

I also feel like there may be something wrong going on with the perspective and again, I am unsure about it. Any comments on that?

Last but not least, I'd like to ask for some tips on my light set-up, if you have any.
    I want to cast subtle, bluish light coming from the screen ( on the left ) and some harsh sunlight coming in from the window, being kinda 'divided' by the window's blinds.
    Gonna play with some subsurface scattering and a light set-up I've never tried before to keep myself entertained (and out of comfort zone) while painting simple shapes. I have some problems with visualizing it in my head though and I don't know how much impact it's gonna have on my composition.
    Generally, well planed-out illustrations are out of my area of expertise, that is why I wanted to share my plans in case those plans might be wrong and bad.

It will be easy for me to edit things right now, wheather I will adjust things digitally or on the paper, so ANY feedback that would help me push this artwork a bit further, would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  20180309_124513.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  287.6 KB
    Name:  line.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  162.2 KB

Cheers! ^_^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Buddy!

I know what could be giving you the perspective issue! its the coffee mug on the left, its either too big or its set up like we are looking at it from below, we should be able to see the rim and the inside shouldn't we? everything else seems ok perspective wise.

However! ............. if he is drawing he should be looking at the paper, shouldn't he!?

or if he is pausing to think then the "pause" needs a re-think like the pencil held to the corner of his mouth or something.

He doesn't look right somehow, sorry if this is a bit negative but I thought you would want to know!

Crack on though it should be good when its done!
    A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok because I am not very good at explaining things in a way that makes sense to anyone else on the planet, I have done a quick experimental render of some primitives to show you what I am on about.
    1) Light sources are from the screen and from above and to the right of the character.
    2) For this I have him looking down at his drawing
    3) His arms are represented by a large grey doughnut as I couldn't be bothered to make his arms! (sorry!)
    4) The perspective is as correct now and yes you should be able to see some sort of ellipse at the top of the cup.

I think that covers everything you wanted to know, but shout again if you want me to change anything as the 3d thing is saved.
    Name:  desk and comp.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  137.6 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holy cow, that is helpful.
    Haven't recieved any 3D visualizations yet, thank you for that! ^_^

I checked the perspective of the mug, changing it helped a lot. I will also decrease its size, but I will do it digitally.
    With the angle of the head, I meant him to be looking at the screen more than at the drawing. Like he's looking at a reference displayed on the screen.
    That is why he's looking more foreward and the angle of his head is titled upwards a bit in order to exaggerate the gesture and the pose.
    The suggestion with changing it for the 'contemplation pose' ( with his pencil next to the face like he's thinking ) is nice though and I may sketch out some different variations to see how it goes and to eventually change it later on.

Anyways, really thank you for the feedback.
    It helped a lot! ^_^
    At least I'm not worried about perspective anymore!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AigorWoz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hiya mate!

Glad it helped you out! I have to be careful with paint overs, 3d renders and such as some folks can get pretty angry and precious about their art!
    I am delighted to find that you are not one of those folks
    I am looking forward to seeing what happens next with this it should be good!

Thanks
    Oh no, no, no. Don't ya worry!
    I personally think it is beyond stupid to ask for criticism and then get mad upon receiving one.
    I am unsure how it's about to turn out since I'm gonna go out of my comfort zone with the ligfhting and also I'll try different, more painterly aproach, so quite a challenge.
    I got rusty with my illustraton skills since I've been almost only about characters, sketches and studies for some months. Gotta work my skills out with this one!

Thanks for some kind and cheering words and the feedback ^_^
    It was pleasure!