Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Thanks
    Current Grinds;
    Name:  2018-10-02-MSD-Fernando-Amorsolo-WIP004.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  107.4 KB

I have been criticized for "mindlessly copying" studies before, so I wanted to be more mindful of the Fernando Amorsolo study above. I know somebody mentioned about avoiding the color green to diversify my portfolio. I already started the Fernando study above before I got that comment, so I went ahead and followed through with the study. My main intent for the study was color/hue matching without color picking from the original, which isn't much of a problem. I hardly ever color pick from the originals anyway. The problem though is that it's hard for me to approximate the colors still... case in point;

Name:  2018-10-02-MSD-Fernando-Amorsolo-CRIT001.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  103.1 KB

The original on the left clearly has a more yellowish tint to it than mine. I could obviously fix mine by doing color balance, but I think doing so would completely defeat the purpose of approximating the colors by just using the color wheel. This specific exercise (actually, any of the master studies I have done before too) has seriously made me wonder how close do art restorers get to the original colors of the painting they are fixing. And looking through the master studies forum I can see that I'm not the only one that has problems with color matching, which means that color matching is a very difficult technique, if not almost impossible. I mean, if I'm having a hard time doing color matching digitally, I can't see myself being very successful then when doing it with a traditional medium.

Anyways... I think I might be just being too much of a perfectionist on this one...

Another grind;
    Name:  2018-Tricycle-WIP005.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  488.0 KB

I'm still trying to do this whole baroque design thing... and it's still kicking my butt...

I also recently finished fixing up this illustration;
    Name:  2019-00-REDO-2015-01-05-DIPE-2D-wolf.jpg
Size:  159.4 KB

I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I love it, but I don't want it in my official portfolio, lol.
    I also did this whole random mech drawing exercise the other day;
    Name:  2019-03-11-Random-Warmup.jpg
Size:  199.9 KB

The exercise above is really difficult. I also have these speed paints from the past few days;
    Name:  2019-03-09-DSG2898-Blue-Train.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  118.9 KB

Name:  2019-03-06-SZWeekly.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  165.5 KB

I'm also planning on picking up an old unfinished illustration to work on. It's a Star Wars fan image;
    Name:  2019-03-01-SWRebels-Redo-WIP001.jpg
Size:  284.8 KB

I have also highlighted these speed paints from past CA competitions as something I want to develop further;
    Name:  2019-01-04-CHOW479-Scottish-Fire-Dancer-WIP003.jpg
Size:  397.0 KB

Name:  2018-06-21-EOW319-COW425-Guardian-Ammo-WIP003.jpg
Size:  383.3 KB

Name:  2019-01-15-EOW328-Proving-Grounds-WIP003.jpg
Size:  476.3 KB

When I'm going to finish all these, I don't know. It would be very cool if I could finish all this year, but I have serious doubts about it. Which brings me to another point; My CA sketchbook is a year old this month. I'm glad I kept posting. 2018 was probably the best year for me in terms of 2D art. It is the first year where I didn't divide my time in doing 3d, 2d, and techie tinkering (writing scripts that I will end up ditching in favor or more polished GitHub projects. Seriously when am I going to learn, I'm no programmer, lol). 2018 was the first year I just devoted to 2d painting. It really surprised me how much output I could do if I seriously knock off side projects. I know I didn't post anywhere near enough as some of the regular ones (anyone ever follow Anton, Zak, or Dennis? They have four times my work output than I do), but that's fine with me. I know I spend a lot of time polishing illustrations in between doing speed paints. I don't do enough studies for sure, but I also don't share my paper and pen sketchbook, which if I do then this thread would balloon in size.

Anyways, I'm glad I at least got one year in of consistent posting. Sooner or later this sketchbook thread will fall apart just like any of the ones that came before me. It happens, life takes people in unexpected paths. I just don't want it to be anytime soon.

Anyways... back to the grind...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    As far as I can see, you are doing plenty of work, including study, challenges and personal pieces and covering a variety of subjects. You're reflecting critically on the work you're doing rather than just blindly churning stuff out, so that's a good sign.

The road is never ending, but if you keep doing what you're doing you will keep improving. So... keep doing what you're doing!

Regarding the colour matching - I find it a bit confusing that you can see it's not right, yet you still painted the whole piece a different temperature. I can't see your process, but that suggests maybe you need to slow down and spend more time looking and adjusting? - So make your best guess, lay down some strokes, then keep checking and adjust the hue/value if it's not right. Same with the drawing - if it's not right then correct it. It doesn't matter how quick you are - it's an exercise not an exam.

If you were using physical media, you could hold your pigment loaded brush up against the reference to check. You could replicate that digitally by opening a new layer over your reference and painting some colour over the top to see how close you are.

I expect your judgment will improve with practice just like any other skill.

And finally - I really like the line work you're doing for that bike - looks a bit like something out of a Final Fantasy game. I hope you keep working on it!

Thanks
    I find it a bit confusing that you can see it's not right, yet you still painted the whole piece a different temperature.
    I honestly don't understand it myself either. From what I remember, I remember being conscious about "needing more yellow," but somehow feeling like the yellow I was putting down wasn't right, so then I overcompensated with green, which then ruined it. I think... I honestly can't remember my lines of thought because it either seriously goes fast when I'm painting or it's silent and I'm just going by instinct. I just remember the "needing more yellow" part.

As for checking the hue by painting a stroke in a new layer, that's acutally a smart idea. Unfortunately the way krita handles reference images doesn't really give me that ability right now. I'll have to figure out a better workflow in the future for handling color matching.

Thanks Mythmaker for your great ideas!

Thanks
    Instead of using the reference tool, couldn't you have the reference and your copy next to each other in the same document (like in the picture above)? You can have them on separate layers, and use a mask or something to keep your canvas contained.

The colour range in the reference is all warm - from yellow-greens to orange, and some reds in the jar and dress. Cooler areas are still in this range - they are just desaturated and so appear cooler next to the more saturated warm colours. Your greens are leaning too far towards the blue end, and you've introduced some purple shades in the deep shadows on the tree.

Your shadows are also going a fair bit darker in value that the reference. You might find that easier to see if you desaturate the images.

Thanks
    @mythmaker thanks for the tip i will follow-through with suggestions

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5