Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    @stonec... well, stonec, I tried changing mediums... and then I lost. I ended up playing assassins creed instead... oh well...

anyways... wip;
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-WIP008.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  83.4 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    first time visitor... what a ride . strong picturemaking skills!

on the last post, you need to get rid of that horizontal edge in the background. its drawing alot of attention and flattens the picture.
    id rather pull the value you got there to the midground (potentially reinforcing silhouettes) and have a semi lost edge in the back.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @sone_one

just to make sure I get it right... unsharpen the horizon and darken the value of the atmospheric haze?

Thanks
    WIP;
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-WIP009.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  82.7 KB

reposting this DSG...
    Name:  2018-10-12-DSG2759-3Beers.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  90.1 KB

a speed painted entry for the EOW "Conquest of the Kohi Islands"
    Name:  2018-10-21-EOW325-Conquest-of-the-Kohi-B-illus01-mining-WIP003.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  375.0 KB
    Last edited by edgarej; October 25th, 2018 at 10:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    better . id also tone down the trees in the back, in general just reduce contrast there.

something like that... (quick and dirty op)... i hope it reads on your screen.
    Name:  edgarej_swamp.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  13.6 KB
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts
    It's great you're doing master studies, but you need to analyse them as to why they work. Do (or just watch, read the assignment) the Level Up 1.1 on composition, and pick interesting compositions, not portraits etc to get your teeth into. You'll get a better understanding overall of what your painting need.

Perk of being a mod - I can read deleted posts. I party hard

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So different medium is not your thing
    One of tip for analyzing if you get point where you are just mindlessly copying, stop and analyze even start making notes then start painting again, rinse and repeat but key is learn to paint and analyze

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @blackspot;
    Thanks for that link... I'll have to go through those.

@stonec
    I actually love different mediums. I just couldn't seem to get the energy to do it as of late. :/ I've been doing a lot of acrylic portraits as of late, and I have been really frustrated with it. I have a hard time copying the likeness of some of my subjects. If you look at the painting itself, there's really nothing wrong in terms of proportion shading etc. I mean technique wise it looks proficient. But the likeness is another matter. I get really upset when I spend three hours on the portrait only to end up with a good looking picture that does not look like my subject

I also have clay that has has been left unopened for close to six years now. I wonder if that is still any good.... it's probably a brick by now, lol.

Thanks
    I think this is practically done. I got critique on this the other day, and the group voted for the light background. Sorry sone_one, you were outgunned
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-WIP010.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  83.2 KB
    I'm going to wait for awhile before adding this to my portfolio. I would like to revisit this with fresh eyes after a few days....

Anyways, my speed painted entries for EOW Conquest of the Kohi;
    Name:  2018-10-21-EOW325-Conquest-of-the-Kohi-B-illus01-mining-WIP003.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  375.0 KB

Name:  2018-10-21-EOW325-Conquest-of-the-Kohi-D-illus03-cityFort-WIP002.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  413.1 KB

Name:  2018-10-21-EOW325-Conquest-of-the-Kohi-C-illus02-ship_002.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  387.1 KB

In other news... I did acrylic portraits the other day. I'm glad I finally got over the hump and finally did it.
    Last edited by edgarej; October 31st, 2018 at 07:15 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarej View Post
    Sorry sone_one, you were outgunned
    thats fine... its your picture not mine ;D love the latest one
    Glen Orbik

Andrew Loomis

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Minor brightness corrections on the two foreground trees;
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-WIP011.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  86.6 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love your environment art, it's so gorgeous!

Likeness is a badass beast! Do you at least see progress? Are there angles and "face types" you find easier than others?
    Please keep at it, and I wanna see

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Trixstar.

I wish I could share the portraits, since they are personal gifts I don't want to run into any of them complaining why their faces are on a public forum. I honestly don't think they would complain about their faces, but they might complain if it's their kids. The portraits, depends on which family member I'm painting, are either a hit or miss, or always a miss. Like my older sister is always a miss. I have never once painted her and captured her likeness. Same with my mom (except maybe for the last one I did of her). But my younger sister and my dad is a different story. My dad's almost always a hit while my sister is about 60% hit.

So yeah... portraits drive me insane. I don't think I should be too hard on myself though. I've seen masters on youtube fail on the likeness test too. Portrait is well painted... but the likeness of the portrait is another story.

Thanks
    Have you ever noticed if there are certain types of faces you find easier than others, especially if your sisters resemble the parent that they success-rate is closest to? And what about expression?
    I just spent 2 days painting and failing the same dude twice! At least I hate the character enough to find the results rather amusing xD

You definitely shouldn't be hard on yourself, besides your environments are fantastic!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Trixstar
    Skinnier faces seem easier to paint for me than round ones. I should do more side profile paintings for the high cheekbones ones lol...

I saw the Spartacus painting. I didn't think it was a fail.

Thanks
    Now that you mention it, yeah as soon as a face either, by default or by expression, has a rounder form, it becomes much more difficult.
    But a lot of face/head tutorials are usually generic "super hero faces" and expressionless, so maybe trying to apply the logic from them on a face that doesn't fit into these standards for whatever reason is gonna do more harm than good?

Aaaw and thank you, yeah I guess considering that portraits is not really something that's highly prioritized on my to-do-list, the painting could be considered a good start?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've certainly got an aesthetic going on, so much purple and green. It's very unique, although I worry if you keep your colour palette so similar through out your drawings it will be different to distinguish between them. Keep that in mind when doing your portfolio. That said I really like the painting robot on the previous page. Also I can definitely identify with what you said about doing the portraits. Getting the proportions and everything right but still not managing a likeness.

Anyway, where is the inktober stuff at?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @trixstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    But a lot of face/head tutorials are usually generic "super hero faces" and expressionless, so maybe trying to apply the logic from them on a face that doesn't fit into these standards for whatever reason is gonna do more harm than good?
    I don't necessarily think it does harm. The generic tutorials still break down the planes of the face, and no matter how fat or skinny the face is, those planes will still be the same. I can see your point though that having too much superhero style face in your repertoire might deter you from painting actual faces (or like how anime artists get so used to anime face that they won't try painting regular faces for a change).

As for my likeness issue, I honestly don't know what goes wrong. I've painted portraits with no prep at all, no sketching before hand, just started blocking the planes of the face and then details afterwards, and nail the likeness instantly. The guy whose portrait I painted too is skinny but has a wide face, so I thought it was amazing that for no prep I nailed the likeness.

And then I've done portraits where I literally traced the photo on the canvas, so I know that there's absolutely no issue with proportions at all, but still don't nail the likeness down for one reason or another. It just drives me insane especially if I can't figure out why it doesn't look like the person.

But like I said I've seen this happen to other artists too, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. Come to think of it, I think this phenomenon is more common than I think. I just realized that all of us will have at least that one photo of ourselves that for one reason or another, doesn't look like us much. It is that one photo that confuses relatives and they say, is that you or is that your brother/cousin/nephew/etc?

@ajams
    Hhhhmmm... not once did I think of posting my inktober stuff. I have been doing one minute warmup sketches when I wake up and before I go to sleep. Nothing fancy, just quick doodles that goes on for a minute to five minutes or so. I kind of did my inktober stuff this way, so my inktober sketches are not as developed as yours. In fact some of my regular sketches look better than the inktober stuff. So if I'm going to post inktober stuff, I might as well post my regular sketchbook... which I will do once I get the time to scan tons of pages.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh I relate to all those pains of portrait likeness. I never dared trying a portrait without a sketch, sounds exciting enough to try soon.
    But it can be a mystery. You just tweak a small wrinkle 30 degrees in a wrong direction and basically the entire face is ruined, like how can that change everything!?
    Haha, maybe I just try and blame my fails onto the faces of super heroes... I most likely subconsciously am actually xD
    Yup, I bet you are doing fine! Go create more awesome art

Ironically, I find anime faces hard to draw because I'm more used to "real" faces. Yeeeah, I went the opposite direction than most because I didn't get into anime until 3 years ago

Thanks
    Ok, this is pretty much final final... I'm so not doing anything else to this anymore... (well, maybe not for another decade or so, lol);
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-WIP011.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  91.6 KB

This smaller version is for linking purposes;
    Name:  2018-04-04-DIPE-2D-EOW312-ValleyoftheRules-KDE.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  295.1 KB

Me... for 2018 SP. I have cute chubby cheeks. I have alliteration awesomeness.
    Name:  2018-11-01-SP-Day.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  159.8 KB

And some DSG's;
    Name:  2018-11-02-DSG2786-Gargoyle.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  2018-11-07-DSG2791-Tunisian-Thief.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  248.1 KB

Thanks
    And a few pages of my sketchbook;

Name:  2018-11-12-sketchbook002-toPost.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  121.2 KB

Name:  2018-11-12-sketchbook003-toPost.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  157.9 KB

Name:  2018-11-12-sketchbook005-toPost.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  2018-11-12-sketchbook004-toPost.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  146.4 KB

I need to scan these in better.
    Last edited by edgarej; November 26th, 2018 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    There's that sketchbook! Really cool how you do a bit of everything. Characters, robots, animals, vehicles... trees. I'm impressed.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Ajams... it's not as jamming as yours

Thanks
    Very nice sketchbook, I really like your more painted pieces. I feel like your paintings in the first phase are really nice such as the speed paint for EOW, but you tend to over-texture your work in my opinion. You put photo textures all over the places and then the piece suddenly becomes extremely busy and it's so hard for the eye to find a place to rest because there is detail everywhere. You have some pieces in your portfolio that have a better balance, so my advice would be to keep an eye on how many photo textures you're using in your work, and always make sure to morph the texture correctly around the shape. Another small trick you can use if you want to use photo textures but you don't want detail all over the place, go to filter- noise-median, it will make the photo look more like it's painted within photoshop and get rid of some of the details. Good work so far, look forward to see your upcoming studies!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @dennis... yeah it seems that my environments are over textured, but I kind of like it I do know that I do have a tendency to over detail, and I feel like this is something that at least had been somewhat addressed this year. It used to be that I would photo texture everything, including the background. Now I'm cautious of that, as well as the amount I use in general. I'm somewhat surprised to get the busy-ness comment again, I guess I'll try to keep watch of this balance some more.

As for the painterly pieces v the detailed pieces, I love the painterly pieces too. I just don't pursue it as aggressively because I keep thinking detailed pieces are a better indication of art skill than speed paints... But then again I guess it really depends on who is looking at the art. It's like trying to compare Bougerau to Vincent Van Gogh... you can't compare the two, it's two totally different styles.

Anyways I mentioned in Anton's sketchbook about how I treat master studies as a looking exercise rather than targeting something specific to learn about the piece. Blackspot above as well as you and Anton encouraged me to treat my master studies with more laser focus, so I'm treating my Fernando Amorsolo study as such. I'm still doing the study as I mentioned to you guys, a looking exercise; a way to encourage me to paint what I see instead of painting what I think something looks like. But I'm also using this study to help me with color matching... which isn't going very well...

The original;
    Name:  2018-10-02-MSD-Fernando-Amorsolo-WIP000.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  136.2 KB

My study so far;
    Name:  2018-10-02-MSD-Fernando-Amorsolo-WIP002.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  98.2 KB

Clearly, my colors are off. I need to work on this some more.

Anyways... you guys need to look up Fernando Amorsolo. He might not be famous worldwide, but the Philippines consider him a master.

My current grind;
    Name:  2018-11-06-CHOW475-Antibody-Soldier-WIP04.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  321.4 KB
    Name:  2018-11-06-CHOW475-Antibody-Soldier-WIP05.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  336.0 KB

I'm pushing the details on my Antibody Solider entry. I need to develop the illustration more. I mentioned earlier in this SB how I've been obsessed with Baroque sculpture/architecture. My tricycle illustration is my attempt at trying to illustrate this interest. Unfortunately, my tricycle illustration isn't going very well. I figured this entry for Antibody Soldier could be a good study for my other illustration.

Man, this Baroque design is really hard to pull off well;
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VeAdZ

Latest DSG's;
    Name:  2018-11-25-DSG2792-Mecha-Coffee.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  281.3 KB

Name:  2018-11-19-DSG2798-98th-Sultan.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  2018-11-15-DSG2800-Frozen-Friend-Lake.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  60.0 KB

Note to self;
    A) I have to go over Jason Manley's free lessons.
    B) I really do have to watch my color use. My portfolio is overwhelmingly pink and green. That has got to change.
    C) Scan my physical sketchbook.

Thanks
    Keep on pushing it man. And yeah you might want to study some work that has different colors in it.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, you say you gotta watch your colour usage, too many pinks and greens, but you've added purple where there is no purple in the study. You must halt this addiction to pink/purple!

The spacesuit in your most recent post is very well rendered, my only issue is her face looks a little off. Everything about the space suit however looks quite good. - It's also all purple and green too tho lol. Looking back I think your pen sketches remind me of Sinix's work a lot, with the robots and the angular faces. But, yeah, break out of your comfort colours every once and a while or your portfolio will feel really samey despite differences in subject matter.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @thebigitch... lol, I didn't think about that

Thanks
    @ajams

Yeah, no kidding, I'm trying to watch that color usage on the spacesuit but it just veers off to purplish pink... I tried to do color adjustments on the suit, but from what I remember none of the hues were looking good. So I settled for what looked like red at the time. Then somehow overtime, it ended up purple again. I'll have to do another round of color adjustments to see if I could make it look good and at the same time, not purple. The current status of the suit so far without the color adjustments;
    Name:  2018-11-06-CHOW475-Antibody-Soldier-WIP06.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  337.3 KB

I'm going nuts over this baroque style. I had a hard time with it with the tricycle illustration. I figured practicing baroque style with this illustration would loosen me up, but I'm still running into blocks like the tricycle illustration... bummer. I also have to watch out for over-detailing this one.

Latest DSG's;
    Name:  2018-12-05-DSG2817-Nintendos-Heroes.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  2018-11-30-DSG2799-Declining-Fairytale.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  2018-12-06-DSG2818-Horrific-Hotel.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  86.7 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast