Thanks

Lightbulb How did this come out so good? What could be better?

Hello all! I've had this account for a couple of years but never used it. I am just utterly startled...

Name:  meilowres.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  138.0 KB

The picture above was a result of sitting in my room bored and deciding to myself "lets redraw a picture!"

It took me triple the time than the last fanart I drew on Mei, but everything felt (to me at least) to be a gargantuan improvement above everything before it. For reference this is the photo I redrew (which was only a few months ago mind you):

Name:  joey-balliro-20638385-1439099189478465-4985114991821288299-n.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  71.1 KB

I've been drawing this kind of stuff since I was an early teenager and didn't make this big of a quality jump in a while.

For reference, what do you think? What brought Mei so much better than last? Do I still have a ways to go until "professional" quality? Why/Why not? My sig has my Artstation page which has my other stuff before I finished off this pic btw.
    Last edited by JoeyBalliro; March 3rd, 2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: fixing images
    artstation.com/joeyballiro

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 935 Posts
    Looks like something went wrong with your images: are you using the image uploader?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    All fixed I didn't add the attachments.
    artstation.com/joeyballiro

Thanks
    I am so confused. Are you asking how you improved? How are we supposed to know? Also I'm a little confused by which one is the newer version. Is it the top one? If it is the top one, I would have to say the bottom one looks better. Was the top one drawn with pencil and coloured digitally because the lines all look scritchy scratchy like they might be pencil. The below one is framed better and the pose looks more natural. Also what is going on with the top ones eyes? They look like all consuming orbs. If you're going to combine traditional and digital art, go ahead, I encourage trying different things. But don't get lazy with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 991 Posts
    Agreed, this is still little more than a rough sketch. Everything needs work, from the composition, to the lines, to the anatomy and rendering process. Those eyes are terrifying.

Thanks
    A consistent issue in your art station work is you don’t seem to be using any references or studying anatomy. All your Overwatch characters have a wide variety of anatomical issues with them. That would probably be my first starting point.

that being said, don’t let us dampen your excitement! If you feel proud of a piece you should enjoy that, because only you can really understand the work you put towards it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm guessing its a language barrier causing the confusion, I think you should practice using reference for sketches to get form and anatomy down before you attempt finished pieces, because it really doesn't look like you used a reference.

Just realized you're from Australia, I guess its not a language barrier lol.
    Last edited by tenchi24; March 6th, 2018 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    I'm sorry but... are you really asking everyone why your art turned out "so good"?

Thanks
    So yeah, after reading octopuscats post I decided to check out your artstation. If you're going to be focusing so much on boobs, you should probably learn how to draw them.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJams For This Useful Post: