Thanks

Critique my Portrait Please

Hello my artist friends. This is my first post here so, if i make any mistake, i'm sorry.(sorry my english too,i'm learning)
    So here is my art, please, tell me what i can do to improve this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi! It really helps to be more specific in the kind of critique you're looking for. Do you want to improve on your colors? Or your anatomy? Or your edges? That gives other people an idea of what you want to improve on.

What I can see here is that her eyes are slightly too big and too close to one another, and her chin feels very narrow. These might be stylistic choices you made or shortcomings in your knowledge of anatomy, I don't know. Also, something feels off to me in the way you blurred the edges in the lower part of the painting; it stands in such stark contrast with the sharp texture all over her face that it feels jarring. Consider smoothing out parts of her skin to make the picture feel more unified, see if that looks better

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    You copied a bad photo of a cute face: why?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    TY a lot. i love to draw and i draw a lot but i never made a course ou something like this, so i don't know anything about theory(composition, color theory...) so i was searching for any improvement that i can do to my art be better.

Thanks
    Sorry eezacque, i don't understand ur question. Can you be more especific ?

Thanks
    To me, this portrait is absolutely beautiful. I can't find any fault. The use of colour and tone is fabulous. The way you've textured her skin and use of freckles is so realistic. If I have to find something to crit, perhaps you could add more detail to the bottom layer of her hair instead of blurring it. All in all, I think this portrait is absolutely sensational and really doesn't need any or much improvement at all. Love it.

Thanks
    I really like the portrait, especially the eyes

Thanks
    Hmm, I have no problem with the eye-sizes or their proximity to one another! The comment that criticized that aspect I'm guessing was based on something that person was told, not by observations of human faces. I have drawn faces with wide eye spacing, and narrow eyes spacing (which I personally have), and some that are considered "textbook" spacing. My daughter has big beautiful eyes while my niece has smaller eyes. There is only a basic map of faces, as with all body parts. And these are usually race-specific due to traits and characteristics unique to certain groups, and many of those have become outdated as we become a more DNA blended-homogenous society. Hips and breasts and ears and shoulder-slope are all individually unique. My Gramps had huuuge ears! My neighbor has tiny ears. (Seriously tiny!) I'm a Medical Illustrator by profession, and I can tell you that no two bodies are the same, and no one body is perfect. Granted, Picasso did draw some pretty whumped-up versions of the human face and body, but it was a style. I am not a computer-generated-art fan but sometimes I see something that shows so much attention to detail and appears to have been thought out in a traditional method that it impresses me. This is one of those. Well done. If you were looking for critique because you weren't happy with something it might be good to state your concerns, then we can help you with that. But if I were to post this I'd put it in the finished art category and be super proud of it.

Thanks
    Ah HAAH! I do have an issue with one thing. The soft fuzzy highlight in the eye feels out of place. The eye would not reflect a fuzzy reflection in one spot and sharp crisp clear reflections in another, unless you are dealing with cataracts, in which case all the eye is matte finish (except for water pools in the edges). So I would say lose the fuzzy spots because they seem to be not on the surface of the cornea, but on the iris which is internal to the cornea. The iris is a structure with ribbons of facets and is an amazing surface up close. It would not give rise to any blurry light. *had to find something to hit you on!*

Thanks
    The biggest problem I see is that this is not a piece of art. It is a copy of a photograph. Whoever is encouraging you to do this is completely wrong. Stop doing this and draw and paint from life. Photos are for reference not for copying. If you copy a photograph it's pretty much plagiarism unless it's your photo, and if that's the case then it's just plain lazy. Please for the love of art to anyone reading this stop encouraging young artists to do this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMaskedMarauder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like your piece.
    Last edited by edgarej; April 11th, 2018 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    I think it's great no matter what you referenced!