Thanks

Red face Cinematic close up concept/ WIP need help

Howdy guuuys. I am about to finish my 1st piece in like 4 years.
    Its gonna be like my 3rd original work so I would appreciate any help. Critique and any comment at how I can improve this work.

I am going for the cinematic close up look. Action style. I 1st started at the torso and head view but decided that a close view is way better.

The thing that i am unsure about is that maybe there is to much going on? Flames and BK taking away the attention from the focal point. And what do you think what eye color should fit the best in the image.

Also when i flip the image i can see its all messed up lol and I just don't see the difference when its not flipped. Idk if any of you can detect any issues.
    Not really sure about the eyebrows or the eye pupil. Idk if its looking straight at the viewer

So please be free for any cc

Here is how its gonna look near the end. I usually just "apply image", use motion and gausian blur, remove blur at 10 to give a bit of polished look, add a bit of noise and then i put it on Multiply ( this case), usually its Soft light or hard light. I am trying to drag all attention to the the face so I didn't really got to much details for the helmet and background. Gonna blur the rest

So guys what can be improved? Need feedback
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by BAN_KAI; March 1st, 2018 at 03:19 PM.
    Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    too much saturation across the board. Pick something to be your focal and that's it. If you want crazy bright pink eyes then don't have bright red fire taking up 2/3 of the image
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by octopuscats View Post
    too much saturation across the board. Pick something to be your focal and that's it. If you want crazy bright pink eyes then don't have bright red fire taking up 2/3 of the image
    You do have a point about high saturation but honestly i am really in love with highly saturated images and i like to use them.
    You are right about the fire taking too much space so i was thinking about removing it and adding a blue particle background. And I made this version in a few min just for an example. Its pretty much just HDR and a few other PS options

Whatcha think? fire or particle

Also please ignore the messy look and the eyes. Its just a quick work and it will be a lot better

PS: changed the eyebrows a bit and the helmet texture

Thanks
    You have the exact same problem but you’ve just changed it from red to blue. You can have high saturation but you need to give people’s eyes a place to rest. Take a look at this photo of Akihabara in Tokyo - it’s highly saturated and arguably a huge influence for the entire cyberpunk aesthetic, but there is also sufficient darkness to balance everything out.

https://i.redd.it/jwgcopr4banz.jpg

alternatively, this scene from Akira:
    Name:  8BCFFC57-73C7-47BF-B11C-BB573A185457.jpeg
Views: 918
Size:  37.6 KB
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have the exact same problem but you’ve just changed it from red to blue. You can have high saturation but you need to give people’s eyes a place to rest. Take a look at this photo of Akihabara in Tokyo - it’s highly saturated and arguably a huge influence for the entire cyberpunk aesthetic, but there is also sufficient darkness to balance everything out.

https://i.redd.it/jwgcopr4banz.jpg

alternatively, this scene from Akira:
    Name:  8BCFFC57-73C7-47BF-B11C-BB573A185457.jpeg
Views: 918
Size:  37.6 KB

you are absolutly right about the Tokyo image since its waaay oversaturated. Love the Akira style.
    So what would you suggest for me? It seems that the main problem is the background taking away the attention from the focal point. So i should darken it up and not use so much strokes on the BK. Something simple and just a few particles so the face would get all the atention. I mean thats if the BK is the biggest problem.
    Ignoring the background and saturation what do you think about the head and helmet? Anything that can be improved or removed
    And thanks bro you are allready helping

Thanks
    You mentioned flipping the image made it look weird. I've marked some points in your painting that are crooked, for instance the nose is off-center. That may be what was bothering you. Also, the eyebrows are very dark with a hard edge, which makes em feel a bit tacked on. Hope this helped!Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  198.1 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AppeltaartStudies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AppeltaartStudies View Post
    You mentioned flipping the image made it look weird. I've marked some points in your painting that are crooked, for instance the nose is off-center. That may be what was bothering you. Also, the eyebrows are very dark with a hard edge, which makes em feel a bit tacked on. Hope this helped!
    Hey thanks man. I did notice the crooked helmet but that was bcs i just copied the other side of the helmet cause i didn't want to bother doing it again on the left side. But lol i didn't notice the asymmetrical nose. Maybe because my nose i also crooked haha

I edited the eyebrows and now they at least look as something, and the nose is easily adjustible.

Now only thing that is left is editing the helmet and I am unsure how to do the red parts, maybe even change the color cause its taking too much attention away from the face

OH hell i just tried to replicate that HDR option i posted before and i just can't get it to work. Its messes up the background but the face is good

Thanks
    Hey man I am pretty close to finishing cause I really got no patiance for this damn thing.
    Here is the update

Any tips for this? Not really sure at which color palete should i go for to get the best result

Thanks
    Here is an update

Changed a lot of things

http://oi67.tinypic.com/2zee3o8.jpg