Thanks

Etiqutte in hiring sketchbook artist for a fantasy novel

This is an etiquette question rather than a legal one. I'm seeking an sketchbook artist (drawn with pencil or pencil-like) for a low medieval fantasy novel that is based on my life story (the novel should have about 9 sketches)

I accept that some people don't do anything for free, including sketches. Really, I respect that. But, personally, as a typical "non-rich" person, I'd prefer paying shortly before I'm publishing the novel after a friendly negotiation process. But it's important to point out again that in this specific case I'm not asking for a crazy full-detailed colored drawing, just sketches. Some of them might have more details than others, depending on how the artist feels like (I haven't defined it).

So is what I'm requesting okay?
    It means I can end up in an unpleasant situation where some people have done sketches for me and will go unpaid if I decide not to include their sketches in the novel. It makes me feel bad, but... I don't want to keep paying artists for art I don't use and eventually I will run out of money and wouldn't have any sketches I can use.

What do you think?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So you'd only pay the artists if end up using the artwork?
    That's spec work. Don't do that.

It would be like me asking you write a novella, and if I don't like how it's written you don't get paid for any of the work you've done.

You're better off being upfront about your art budget situation, and prioritize what pieces should be made versus secondary scenes.
    You could have something like a two-tier pay structure: a lower amount paid for any work done, and a second payment once again for the work used.
    You may just have to put off on art and keep saving up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valvolkov View Post
    It means I can end up in an unpleasant situation where some people have done sketches for me and will go unpaid if I decide not to include their sketches in the novel. It makes me feel bad, but... I don't want to keep paying artists for art I don't use and eventually I will run out of money and wouldn't have any sketches I can use.
    Do you hire someone to paint your walls, and then decide not to pay them because you don't like the color after all?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    This is why artists need to have an upfront payment plan worked out and be much more discerning with their clients. Make sure when you are looking for an artist that you are upfront about the fact that you might not be paying them anything after the job is completed.

And yeah, good luck with that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    It would be like me asking you write a novella, and if I don't like how it's written you don't get paid for any of the work you've done.
    Like taking bread from the baker's, and only pay afterwards, having eaten each and every slice, liked it and finding out you not only digested it to your satisfaction, but it was easy to flush down your toilet without leaving tracks in the bowl.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

All, Izi

Thanks
    And if someone were totally up for it, would that mean you would refuse to work with them out of etiquette reasons?
    Last edited by onemax; March 2nd, 2018 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    So now I'm really curious, seeing how I've stirred up some raw emotions here: how do you guys explain all the "unpaid opportunities" in the job section? Going by your equivalencies, are all those people asking for free bread, free wall paintings and free novellas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valvolkov View Post
    So now I'm really curious, seeing how I've stirred up some raw emotions here: how do you guys explain all the "unpaid opportunities" in the job section? Going by your equivalencies, are all those people asking for free bread, free wall paintings and free novellas?
    They should not be there.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    The point also is, the unpaid opportunities are just that. Unpaid. The artist knows that going in right off the bat. They won't think they are getting paid and then suddenly they get stiffed when the client changes their mind.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

All, Izi

Thanks
    About 10 hours of work @50 per hour can get you some of the finest artists in the world.

Full rights will be a lot more.

None of them will get out of bed for spec work.

A professional, paid fairly, will not disappoint you. If you go cheap expect to get the runaround. We don't respect people who don't respect our need to eat.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra