Thanks

Feedback on values

Obviously I tried shading a sphere and failed. How do I go from here? What exactly is wrong there?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Study the real thing, and shoot a reasonable picture to show here.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    actually not bad, just a poorly lit photo. You have the right idea! keep practicing, and I second studying from life.

Thanks
    It is a good start. keep in mind that that round surfaces reflect light in their own shape… that means the light that strikes a round surface is scattered based on that shape, and the shadows that befall it also are based on the shape. The hard crescent you have on your ball is much like the moon. If your object were sitting in the dark, like the moon, and a light hits one side it will have a very distinct crescent. If your ball is in an area where "anything" is present there may be reflected light that lights the backside to a small degree. Then the object looks round, not just circular. Your light source will determine the brightest area of your sphere, the texture or material of the sphere determines how the light reflects off of it (bowling ball and tennis ball reflect light very differently!) I enclosed a simple quick sketch with a basic light rule. Shading tip: Observe the object and slowly (SLOWLY) build your shading layers and adjust as you go. It takes practice and observation, repeat! Maybe also try a not-so-porous-paper (like regular printer paper) and an HB pencil to practice building tone slowly. It's 50% pencil control, 50% observation. Enjoy!
    Name:  IMG622.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  338.2 KB

Thanks
    Thank you guys . It's that I get tired of intense focus. I will come back after a few months of practice.

Thanks
    That’s a pretty rude thing to people who took time out of their day to help you. Or maybe it’s not and I’m just crabby because I’ve been up for 24 hours.

theres nothing wrong with intense study, but break it up with some other stuff. Looks like all you’ve really done is study spheres for a month. Go outside and draw some people. Paint a dragon. Doodle with some friends. Don’t destroy your love of art at the expense of practice
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh no. I am really grateful for all the feed back I got and for all the feedback I will get. English is not my first language and I am really sorry if I sounded rude. I did not mean it. The part about getting tired, I said it as an information, not as a justification. Right now I am working on a sphere building tone very slowly as toplessartist has suggested.

Thanks
    You don't have a midtone and the value between the light side and dark side is too far apart. Soften the edge between the two sides as well. Also, add a shadow to establish that it looks like it's existing in 3d sapce.

Thanks
    Hai everyone,

I worked on the same sphere after incorporating all the feedback. It's not amazing, but its a lot better than the original sphere. So after all practice does indeed make a difference. Never actually believed that.

There is still a lot to improve. I think my tones are not even and right now my biggest problem is creating soft edges and soft shadows.

Sorry about the poor quality of my pictures. Thank you all once again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I don't really have any critique to add (I feel like I would just be repeating what everyone else has said so far) but have you ever used CamScanner ( https://www.camscanner.com/ )? If you are using your phone to take pictures of your art it can help immensely.

Thanks
    Seconding camscanner. We use it at my workplace all the time
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

Thanks
    Draw on white paper… that way you decide on the tone and the hilights. Using toned paper only gets you halfway there unless you are also using light colors to build the other half. Not quite ready for that based on this posting. Instead of spending so much time on one sphere and then wondering if it's working, I recommend you do a dozen of them on a single sheet, each about the size of a pingpong ball or a golf ball. Take your time with each one and critique it yourself, then the next one should have whatever changes you discovered from the one before it. (If you spend sooo much time on one image and you don't know where you're headed then you will defeat yourself because you will feel you've wasted time.) Forget shadows for this exercise… concentrate on soy gradients and pencil control… on white paper (in case you forgot!) Post your attempts! Love to see how you're doing.