Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Astrolline's Sketchbook

Hello! :)

I'm a 19 year old astrophysics student, recently started working fulltime at a lab, and so I have a bunch of spare time after work (seriously, work life feels like a vacation in comparison to school terms) - and lately, I've been using that time to work on art. Not quite sure if I have a clear goal in mind, I just want to get more serious about studying and improving my art abilities.

After a few weeks of lurking, I've finally made an account here, and hopefully having a sketchbook thread will keep me practicing!

Recentish artwork:
    Landscape study
    Name:  new zealand waterfall sm.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  79.0 KB

Edit 09/03: transferred the art I had in my intro originally over to my next post, so I can update this post with more recent stuff

Thanks for stopping by!
    Last edited by Astrolline; April 2nd, 2018 at 01:58 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow that's some impressive dedication, looks great so far.

My personal favorites are day 4 + 5 and the photo reference painting, especially her hair

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Trixtar - heh, thank you! I figure that I probably won't have time once I'm back in school over the summer, so might as well get as much done as I can now.

Here's yesterday's (Day 9) master study, after "River Landscape" by Charles Harry Eaton; kinda had to rush it, but I think I got the general gist of the colours/values/forms.
    Name:  day 9.png
Views: 557
Size:  375.9 KB

edit 09/03/2018:
    Transferred art from my first post over to here.
    At the time I was working on a "21 Days of Master Studies Challenge".

Day 8: After John Singer Sargent's "Alice Vanderbilt Shepard".
    Name:  day 8.png
Views: 554
Size:  265.0 KB

Day 7: After Thomas Cole's "Valley of the Vaucluse".
    Name:  day 7 cropped.png
Views: 556
Size:  415.7 KB

Day 6: After Henry Parker's "Homewards".
    Name:  day 6.png
Views: 557
Size:  297.0 KB
    Day 5: After Jean Baptiste Greuze's "Jeune Fille vue de dos".
    Name:  day 5 sm.png
Views: 556
Size:  374.6 KB

Day 4: After Albert Bierstadt's "Merced River, Yosemite Valley".
    Name:  day 4 sm.jpg
Size:  53.8 KB

As well, I did this portrait from a photo reference in a few hours:
    Name:  portrait v sm.png
Views: 555
Size:  415.9 KB
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    Master studies:
    Day 10 (yesterday); after Selbstbildnis Amerling's "Self Portrait"
    Couldn't get the face right; the eyes look like they're staring in two different directions, but I was trying to match the original image the best I could, and the more I looked, the more it looked like the eyes were off in the original painting. Pretty sure I was missing some subtlety in the facial structure that would've helped with that - for instance, the eyes should be at an angle and farther apart. I really should study anatomy more seriously; the trouble is figuring out how to make that studying fun (or at least bearable).
    Name:  day 10.png
Size:  225.4 KB

Day 11, after William Adolphe Bouguereau's "The Little Shepherdess"
    Only did the upper half of the painting, rather than the full thing - I spent far too much time fussing around with the face/hands, and after I was semi-satisfied with that, I thought the other half would take a while to render without really teaching me much. Once again, my lack of anatomy knowledge messed me up, particularly with the hands. It's difficult to know where the essential lights/shadows fall without a clear understanding of how hands work, even when looking directly at the original painting.
    Name:  day 11.png
Size:  194.9 KB

For tomorrow, I'm hoping to get some hand/figure studies done as well as a master study; I can certainly use the practice.
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    Hey man, good work so far.

It's good to see you're identifying your weaknesses and trying to work on them, as the first thing I noticed was a lack of understanding of how the face is constructed in 3D. Looking forward to seeing those studies, they should help you out a lot. Unfortunately, it's not always the best of fun! Keep it up though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver Titley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice progress, one thing that might help you is constructing the head out of a cube for getting facial features. Michael Hampton has some good tutorials on that. That or Andrew Loomis who also has some nice tut's as well. Keep up the good work!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Demon Lizardman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Apologies for not posting yesterday, been having a rough couple of days.

@Oliver Titley - thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I haven't seriously studied face construction yet, unfortunately. I'll see if I can get some work done this weekend.

@Demon Lizardman - thanks for the recommendations! Those tutorials sound quite useful

Yesterday's master study, after Edward John Poynter's "Portrait of Agnes Poynter". Really struggled with this one, and it shows. Decided to call it "done" out of sheer frustration, rather than satisfaction with the final product.
    Name:  day 12.png
Views: 555
Size:  170.2 KB

Today's master study, after Willard Metcalf's "The White Mantle". In retrospect, I feel like I should've chosen a different painting from Metcalf; it's difficult to get a sense of depth in a mostly white landscape, so it ended up looking rather flat. Ah well, at least it's something.
    Name:  day 13.png
Views: 551
Size:  279.2 KB

Lastly, some figure drawings (out of order, and with different time limits), all poses from quickposes. Gonna try to crank out more of these in the next couple of days!
    Name:  march 1 full.png
Views: 550
Size:  134.3 KB
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBigItch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @TheBigItch - thanks! That's the plan

Today's stuff:
    Gesture drawings (2 min each)
    Name:  20180303_201829.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  158.4 KBName:  20180303_201851.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  149.4 KB
    Head drawing practice (2 min each)
    Name:  20180303_201904.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  160.7 KB
    (Sorry for potato photo quality; I don't have a scanner so best I can do is phone photos)
    Both sets of studies were kinda relaxing, in a way. The portraits* were frustrating, in a "I can see that something is wrong, but I can't fix it" way, but I feel like I am learning something from them. Just gotta find time to do more.
    * Well, the figure drawings were also frustrating in that regard, but less so.

Also, did a rough sketch from imagination, mostly to confirm that I can still do something other than studies lol
    Name:  Untitled-1 sm.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  40.3 KB
    Not sure if I like it enough to continue (especially considering that I put no planning into the composition/values/anything really, and I feel like I shouldn't commit to finishing images unless I'm 100% happy with the initial concept), but it was fun for what it was.

Lastly, today's master study is unfinished, unfortunately (it was getting late and my arm was starting to hurt, so I thought it'd be best to call it a day); since I'm paying more attention to getting the textures right than usual, I'm planning on finishing it tomorrow and counting it for both days. After William Henry Hurt's "Fruit".
    Name:  day 14.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  76.9 KB
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    Finished the master study from the last post; don't know why I spent so much time on this one but I became really invested in figuring out the colours/textures.
    Name:  day 14.png
Views: 515
Size:  409.4 KB
    Might do some figure drawings later tonight as well - I didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I wanted to, but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Master study for today, after Joseph DeCamp's "Sally".
    Name:  day 15.png
Size:  218.4 KB
    Feels like the more of these I do, the less I'm satisfied with the results...
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks
    Master study day 17/21, after Willard Metcalf's "Ebbing Tide, Version 2".
    Name:  day 16sm.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB
    I've had less time than usual the past couple days to work on art, so I've been finishing the studies too late in the day to be able to meaningfully compare them to the originals. About all I have to say about this one is:
    1) Rather proud of how the water turned out
    2) Not liking how fuzzy the image looks because of the brush I'm using... I like semi-transparent brushes with a bit of texture and usually stick to just the one brush for the whole painting, but that workflow doesn't work for photoshop; I need to find another brush with which to refine details and add some variation to the edges.
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks
    So, I ended up not doing much art yesterday: by the time I finished running errands, the choice was between half-assing a master study (which would be of dubious benefit), and sleep. I figured it was better to do one less study, than to waste my time+effort on something I wouldn't learn much from. I'm still planning on wrapping up the challenge on Saturday, though, as I think it's outlived its current usefulness (and I'm getting pretty sick of master studies, not gonna lie). Afterwards, I'm tentatively planning to alternate between studying landscapes with the help of mapcrunch, and practicing portraits/figures. Seems like a decent compromise between actively working to improve a particular aspect of my art, and working exclusively on that particular aspect.

For tonight, I tried being more deliberate with this master study, after "The Painter Raimundo de Madrazo" by Federico de Madrazo.
    Name:  day 17.png
Views: 515
Size:  399.9 KB
    Also, I made a gif of the process :>
    Name:  day-17.gif
Views: 1181
Size:  444.5 KB
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Ran out of steam halfway through today's master study, after Eugen Bracht's "Gestade der Vergessenheit". Tomorrow should be better, though.
    Name:  day 18.png
Views: 1141
Size:  346.6 KB

Thanks
    Last master study for a while, after Paul Chabas's "Portrait of Gracia Lees".

Name:  day 19.png
Views: 513
Size:  355.1 KB
    I tried my best to replicate the challenging colours in this one, especially for the skin tones (...and subsequently neglected to match the pose/overall composition as well as I would've liked).
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    A bunch of sketches from today! Used quickposes for the figure drawing and portrait references, and the moth girl is from imagination (well, I used refs for the moth parts). Really liking the new pencil brush I found (used it exclusively from sketch #3 onwards).
    Name:  march11 1sm.png
Views: 1033
Size:  104.5 KBName:  march11 2sm.png
Views: 1032
Size:  67.6 KBName:  march11 3sm.png
Views: 1033
Size:  142.5 KBName:  march11 4.png
Views: 1031
Size:  390.1 KB
    Name:  march11 5sm.png
Views: 1031
Size:  138.4 KBName:  march11 6sm.png
Views: 1030
Size:  112.7 KB
    Name:  moth girl.png
Views: 1028
Size:  355.1 KB

Thanks
    Today's bunch of studies, all refs from quickposes.
    Name:  march 12 fullsm.png
Views: 511
Size:  336.2 KB
    I tried to focus a little more on the "flow" of the poses, rather than getting the anatomy exactly right - so took only a few minutes for each one. The portraits were of similar duration, as well. Planning on doing this every day until I get tired of it.
    Name:  enviro study 1 sm.png
Views: 510
Size:  215.0 KB
    Quickposes has some landscape photos (which I didn't notice before today), and I wanted to practice drawing thumbnails and simplifying a complex image into more simple shapes/colours. Also, I don't work with 100% opaque brushes often, so it was a fun challenge to be more exact in my brushstrokes/colour choices than usual.

Part of me wants to start on an actual project, rather than working on studies nearly exclusively, but I just don't feel like my skills are up to par. I might use the moth girl sketch for something, but I'm dissatisfied with nearly everything I create almost as soon as I put down my tablet pen, so I don't want to sink a bunch of hours into a piece I won't be proud of :/
    Last edited by Astrolline; March 28th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks
    Painting of a place I found on mapcrunch - apparently, it's somewhere in Turkey. I'm continuing with a less painterly style than I'm used to, and I feel like it's forcing me to be more deliberate in my colour choices, since I can't just blend my errors away.
    Name:  plein air 1 sm.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  56.5 KB
    Ran out of time for figure drawings so I'll try to do more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Stuff from yesterday + today, mainly figure drawings (as always, from quickposes).
    Name:  march 14 1 sm.png
Views: 884
Size:  26.0 KBName:  march 14 2 sm.png
Views: 882
Size:  61.1 KBName:  march 14 3 sm.png
Views: 882
Size:  83.5 KBName:  march 14 4 sm.png
Views: 883
Size:  87.5 KB
    The next one is from imagination, which is especially obvious in the face. It was going well, then I wanted to fix something, and ended up creating a big ol' mess. I might return to it later, and redo the head entirely.
    Although the initial inspiration was a garden statue holding a vase, it's now been nicknamed "vaguely annoyed ocean spirit posing with a bowl of cereal" in my mind lol.
    Name:  ocean spirit w a bowl of cereal sm.png
Size:  130.4 KB
    Today's set of gesture drawings, each 90sec. Pretty relaxing warmup, actually.
    Name:  march 15 sm.png
Size:  335.3 KB
    And I started working on this tonight; partially working from a reference to get the pose/face right. I'm trying to get used to working with a brush in which pen pressure only affects the opacity and not the size. I've seen numerous recommendations to hold off on the fancy brushes and get used to working with simple ones, only using the fancy ones to add texture in later stages of the painting, so I'm trying that out.
    Name:  caped girl wip sm.png
Views: 881
Size:  143.7 KB

Thanks
    I had to skip drawing yesterday, but here's today's stuff.
    Gestures (90sec each, from quickposes)
    Name:  march 17.png
Views: 803
Size:  229.0 KBName:  march 17 2.png
Views: 804
Size:  237.8 KB
    And since I've been feeling rather discouraged about my art lately, I decided to set the portrait from a couple days ago aside, and do something more in my comfort zone. Played around with brushes/colours, a bit. Reference - http://www.mapcrunch.com/p/53.006578...1_6.54_-2.17_0
    Name:  ireland sm.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  86.1 KB

Thanks
    I sure hope these gesture drawings pay off at some point...
    March 18, 90 sec each.
    Name:  march 18.png
Views: 765
Size:  310.2 KB
    March 19, 2 min each.
    Name:  march 19.png
Views: 764
Size:  291.0 KB
    No time for anything else, but tomorrow I'm planning on watercolour painting for a gift - should make for a nice break from all the digital work I've been doing.

Thanks
    More figure drawings:
    Name:  march 20.png
Views: 743
Size:  297.3 KB
    And a quick watercolour painting (which looks quite different irl, as I'm bad at photographing my art)
    Name:  IMG_20180320_222829_470.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  364.8 KB
    I meant to do more stuff today, but ran out of time. That's the way it always goes, or so it seems...

Thanks
    I recently discovered that I have free access to lynda.com - so I've started working through a figure drawing video course. Nothing worth sharing atm (I'm only a quarter way through), but I really should've started searching for art courses sooner... Btw, suggestions for useful tutorials/videos are always welcome
    Worked a bit on the portrait from earlier, as well:
    Name:  caped girl wip 2.png
Views: 709
Size:  142.6 KB

Thanks
    Various stuff from the last few days (kept forgetting to post here whoops)
    Gestures (only the lengthier ones; my 30s and 1min are... high in quantity and low in quality) I feel like I've got a better understanding of the forms making up the body, instead of just the contour, although I as always need more practice.
    Name:  march 22 2.png
Views: 642
Size:  200.1 KBName:  march 23 4.png
Views: 641
Size:  272.7 KBName:  march 24 3.png
Views: 640
Size:  154.0 KB
    Doodle:
    Name:  springtime sketch.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  52.6 KB

Thanks
    Hey there, Astrolline. Good sketchbook. I specially like the landscapes.

Great render on the face of this one: Girl with the hand on her hair, but her hand looks massive.

The doodle on the previous post seem to be leaning to the right and have quite a few proportion problems. Since it appears you're doing digital art, have you tried mirroring your image a few times while drawing?

About the gesture sketches, I've noticed some weird proportions here and there. Are you applying a measurement technique to your drawings? I'd recommend watching this video from Proko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDGO0LssEM&vl=en
    "There're no lines in real life" / Is this a sketchbook? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

31. The Following User Says Thank You to pilgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgo View Post
    Hey there, Astrolline. Good sketchbook. I specially like the landscapes.

Great render on the face of this one: Girl with the hand on her hair, but her hand looks massive.

The doodle on the previous post seem to be leaning to the right and have quite a few proportion problems. Since it appears you're doing digital art, have you tried mirroring your image a few times while drawing?

About the gesture sketches, I've noticed some weird proportions here and there. Are you applying a measurement technique to your drawings? I'd recommend watching this video from Proko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDGO0LssEM&vl=en
    Thanks for the comments, pilgo.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the hand size - I was focusing a lot on the face and neglected to keep an eye on the overall proportions. Will try to fix it if/when I go back to that portrait.

I am trying to get in the habit of mirroring the image more; with the doodle, I think the proportions were okayish initially, but I messed up when adding the clothing. It wasn't intended to be anything serious, but I appreciate the feedback.

Hmm, I'm kind of applying a measurement technique? I'll try to focus on that more in the future, and I'll take a look at the video you mentioned I don't recall having any proper instruction in gesture drawings until the video series I mentioned recently, so I'm quite new to all of this.
    ------
    Yesterday's gestures:
    Name:  march 25 3.png
Views: 602
Size:  252.5 KB
    For today's gesture drawings, I decided to spend more time, as I think the shorter gestures are not very helpful for the things I'm struggling most with atm.
    Name:  march 26.png
Views: 602
Size:  347.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 925 Posts
    Good studies Astrolline, and it's inspiring that you're doing these after work. Keep it up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyartist View Post
    Good studies Astrolline, and it's inspiring that you're doing these after work. Keep it up!
    Thank you, I'll try!

I felt like working on a landscape today, to take a break from all the figure drawings lately. Pretty fun study!
    Name:  iceland sm.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  76.3 KB
    Also, I've been going through my earlier posts and editing to make the pictures smaller (I ... did not realize how uploading them at fullsize made them look on site, yikes) so that should make my sketchbook a little easier to view lol

Thanks
    A couple of relatively quick still lifes from today (both done using photo refs).
    Name:  pears.png
Views: 504
Size:  149.6 KBName:  ugly lemon sm.png
Views: 503
Size:  116.4 KB

Thanks
    Sketch dump from the last couple of days.
    Figure drawings:
    Name:  march 29.png
Views: 470
Size:  206.0 KB
    Name:  march 30 1.jpg
Size:  183.2 KBName:  march 30 2.jpg
Size:  131.5 KBName:  march 30 3.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  125.7 KB
    (sorry about the photo quality)
    I'm.. pretty happy with the pencil drawings, actually! I feel more confident in my ability to construct a figure from basic shapes, and I think that's reflecting in my lines as well (not sure how well that comes across in the photos). There's still room for improvement ofc, but perhaps these hours of practice haven't been all for naught. I'm hoping to continue doing 20 5min figure drawings each day for the remainder of this long weekend - I want to further explore linework, as well as attempt to consistently add shading.

Still life (fresh from the fridge, this time):
    Name:  pears still life sm.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  45.6 KB
    I clearly struggled with getting the ellipse of the plate, but on the bright side, I got to explore some fun colours/textures with the pears themselves. I should really do drawing from life more often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast