Thanks

I gained nothing from doing gesture drawings

I did lots of gesture drawings, a few hundred the past 12 months, maybe even 1000 (i guess it was way more than 1000, i often ran out of paper, in one package are 250 pieces).
    I always do them on paper and draw them with my arm and shoulders, not wrist.

But my poses from Imagination are still horrible.
    That cannot be normal.

I must have some extreme restrictions to my intellect or learning disability.

Look, doing drawing excercises is hard work. Why should i do them if i dont gain anything from it??

I have this one issue with my Tremor, but my limited intelectual horizon is also annoying. maybe ist even the bigger Problem.
    Why cant I just be a Genius? would be comfortable.
    Has someone advice??
    New gesture drawings with quickposes:

a few months old poses from Imagination:
    Poses from Imagination today:

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Don't worry, the human figure is hard to draw, and one year of learning means nothing. The big thing with gesture is that it means different things to different people: essence, magic, action, verb, rhythm, flow, unity, scribbling. What does it mean to you?
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I guess it is about trying to get te essence of the pose. That could be about proportions, but often i just want to get the rythm.
    I have a tendency to draw them to detailed, at least that is what i am thinking.

Today I tried something different, someone recommended this technique to me:
    Instead of doing Basic form and perspective or line Control excercises, I tried to draw a pose from reference, then i put the the drawing away and tried to draw the pose from Imagination.
    Then I compared it with original and Did it again and again.

It was basically like drawing vocabulary.
    I think, it could be helpful, but next time I should just take a simpler subject.

My Feeling is, that drawing isnt actually about raw time Input and discipline, i guess there is danger to just waste time and effort.
    I hope i am not doing it because drawing excercises are sometimes fun but often it is hard for me.
    There should be a payoff at one point

Thanks
    When I look at your drawings, my suggestion for your biggest issue is legs.
    Your imagination-figures are mostly in poses where you can get away with having the legs straight.
    It's like everything goes extremely stiff from the waist down, while the upper part of the body seems to go pretty well?
    Hmmm.... Do you study the anatomy on the sideline to understand how the body works, including if anything just looking at photos of something like yoga-people to figure out how their balance is distributed and such?

You sure deserve a progress-reward for your hard work. 1000 of such drawings is an amazing achievement!
    To be honest, I think maybe the only thing you need to make a leap in progress in drawing from imagination is to work on visualizing a body in motion. Using your own body is good too. Like right now in this moment, try and notice how your own body is posed and how that would look like.... Try stand up with a pencil and imitate one of the sword poses, especially notice how your legs are placed to keep you from falling over in either direction

Otherwise, changing medium can be very liberating. Give yourself permission to have fun, if you have fun with a purpose you'll most likely still strengthen your skills, so just go for it

Thanks
    you may have a Point! i studied a bit of anatomy of the upper part of the Body, but i didnt study the legs.
    I know about the Deltoid, the scapula, ripcage, Trapezoid, sternocleidomastoidei, pectoralis, but i know almost nothing about the legs.

i really fear i will not improve, because it is really worrying how much i practized and i am still so bad.
    i guess most People would be shocked, because it really cannot be normal.
    Most People improve faster i guess. I am 21 now

One way of practizing i found out about today:
    Some People trace over photos to get the shapes right and to study the shapes.
    could this be a good drawing excercise?

[QUOTE
    You sure deserve a progress-reward for your hard work. 1000 of such drawings is an amazing achievement!

Read more: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...#ixzz589lz92pl
    ][/QUOTE]
    this sounds maybe rude but: i dont care about that, i just want to get better through all my work. but it seems that it didnt help me to improve much
    Last edited by HannesWurst; February 25th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    This might sound like a stupid question, but is there a specific reason why you want to acquire this specific skill ( drawing the human form from imagination)? Such as you want to work as a comic artist or you just really, really want to be able to do that for personal reasons?

Just asking because it is by no means a prerequisite to working as an artist. I couldn't do what you're trying to do, have put in zero work into that kind of skill over the years and I know plenty of pros who couldn't either. I use references, self-shot preferably, or 3D maquettes for anything more than an initial scribble.

That's not to say you need to know nothing about anatomy, but drawing the human form completely from imagination to a high level is an incredibly difficult skill to acquire and altogether different from looking at and understanding a reference image etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HannesWurst View Post
    you may have a Point! i studied a bit of anatomy of the upper part of the Body, but i didnt study the legs.
    I know about the Deltoid, the scapula, ripcage, Trapezoid, sternocleidomastoidei, pectoralis, but i know almost nothing about the legs.
    You're better off studying a basic mannikin, for instance through Loomis.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    his might sound like a stupid question, but is there a specific reason why you want to acquire this specific skill ( drawing the human form from imagination)? Such as you want to work as a comic artist or you just really, really want to be able to do that for personal reasons?

I know that, it is also only an ambitious Hobby for me.
    I want to draw Comics without any economic or political pressure that is why I want to be able to draw characters from Imagination.

There are some Elements from my favourite Artists and media in General I dont really see put together into one Comic. Also I want to put in my personal thoughts I guess Comics are the most suited medium for them.
    In Comics I can really exaggerate poses and Show interactions between People etc.. some subtle stuff I could talk about, but would be nice to draw it.
    So I guess for Comics i Need that sort of Knowledge, I want a semirealistic style.

You're better off studying a basic mannikin, for instance through Loomis.

I bought that book (figure drawing by loomis) but for a while now I stopped practizing with it. I will pick it up again, thank you

Thanks
    Nw, not rude at all

You know, someone (several) once told me that to make sequential art, you must above all else start making "sequential art". Instead of making another pose study, have a story for the image that dictates that pose study, then you start doing minor studies that will lead you to create that story, even if it's just 1 panel

Thanks
    You can use those quick gestures as starting point to your finished piece, and later on use reference as said earlier.

Thanks
    From your drawings i guess that you never studied perspective and anatomy in depth. Try to study and apply it constructing the body from basic forms. Check out how Michael Hampton or Proko approach drawing the human figure from imagination.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by All View Post
    From your drawings i guess that you never studied perspective and anatomy in depth.
    You don't need a lot of knowledge of perspective and anatomy for gestures.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    You don't need a lot of knowledge of perspective and anatomy for gestures.
    Not for gesture, but for figure drawing in comic books knowing how to place the body in perspective is key.