Thanks

How to ask for mentorship?

Hello folks,

I am a beginner, in my late twenties. The problem with teaching drawing to yourself is that the mistakes/sticky points are not so easy to spot for the lack of skill in the first place. Which stagnate the growth unnecessarily.

I think that the occasional guidance/feedback from a mentor would accelerate the learning curve enormously.

My tattoo artist and I used to go to gymnastics together. He is an amazing artist. Prior to that he also finished a game art scholarship. I can't imagine a better person to ask for guidance.

The only problem is that I can offer no value in return. I mean, I can ask if I can clean his studio, or help him out with chores etc.

How do you ask somebody correctly in such situation to be your mentor. I also realise that there is a great chance that he will say no, mainly because he is quite busy.

Any input is welcome.

Thank you!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The correct way to ask is to just ask, the worst he can say is no. Just be honest that you can't pay him for his time but are willing to help out in other ways. Once you open up that dialogue with him you will get your answers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamBurleigh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am so sorry, I have no idea how my uploaded image (anime inspired vampire-stuff) suddenly has become the thumbnail to this thread ... The mods have been notified, and hopefully they can solve it
    EDIT: Seems to be fixed now

Hmmm... now that I'm here... I think one of the best ways to ask is to be clear on what exactly his role is supposed to be, and what your expectations are. If he's supposed to give a 5 mins critique once a week on your "best piece", I think it'd be ok, but if you come running each day with 20 pages of studies, I think he's gonna say no, so figure out a fair balance? ... But yeah, give it a try, good luck
    Last edited by Trixtar; February 22nd, 2018 at 12:44 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I am currently waiting for the answer! Fingers crossed

Thanks
    So did he reply yet?

Thanks
    Yes. Sorry was busy with work, hence late reaction. I didn't ask for full mentorship but rather went with tips and advice. And he agreed so thats awesome! I will not bother him with small, basic stuff(most of which I can figure out on my own I hope). Thanks for the advice once again!