Thanks

What is an excellent resource to learn anatomy from?

I'm considering the following anatomy learning materials for a beginner.

• Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck
    • Valerie Winslow's Classic Human Anatomy
    • Valerie Winslow's Classic Human Anatomy in Motion
    • Proko's free stuff on Youtube or www.proko.com/library
    • Rey Busto's course on New Masters Academy

I visited library and skimmed Stephen Rogers Peck's book and Valerie Winslow's Classic Human Anatomy.
    Although people praised Stephen Rogers Peck's, Classic Human Anatomy seems to have better illustrations of higher qualities.

Which do you recommend the most? Do you have a better recommendation outside my list?
    Last edited by tokigami.kineko; February 20th, 2018 at 04:18 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think you should stop trying to find the perfect book for every little thing and start drawing
    Sketchbook (last updated June 20th, 2018)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octopuscats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Proko is highly recommended, but I think that you still should try to draw from an actual skeleton and model at some point using what you learn. Understanding the bones and muscles in 3 dimensions and how they insert and work together will elevate your abilities tremendously. I like the level of anatomy that I see in the major schools in Russia:

Name:  Andrey Kartashov.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  109.1 KB

and it seems like they do a great deal of study of anatomy, even having a lecture hall for anatomy:

Name:  Alina.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  123.6 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FlameDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameDragon View Post
    Proko is highly recommended, but I think that you still should try to draw from an actual skeleton and model at some point using what you learn. Understanding the bones and muscles in 3 dimensions and how they insert and work together will elevate your abilities tremendously. I like the level of anatomy that I see in the major schools in Russia
    That is a level most people will never reach, and it mainly applies to autonomous art, which is not for everyone. If you're going for animation, illustration, concept art, start with proko, who will keep you busy for the rest of the year. You can always go deeper to reach extraordinary heights. I have seen too many people going for the academic approach and never get good enough to pay their bills.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts

I agree with what eezacque said and would add if you want to work in an industry that style of Russian drawing isn't a good idea or practical. The drawings like the one posted took weeks to do, are very poor for action scenes with lots of figures and focus too much time on working from life and not from imagination. They're beautiful to look at but impractical to do unless you're going to teach at the Russian Academy or start your own school. Art for production needs to be finished quickly and the people who are fast and good with drawing from their imaginations will work way more than people who need ref for everything and are slow. Watts Atelier and Proko are offshoots of the Frank Reilly
    method.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I admire the level of mastery over anatomy in russian schools.
    Although I am going to set my own production schedule, I don't want that level of detail for every character in my drawings.

Thanks for recommendation. I'll use proko as the main source of learning and books for references.
    Dorian Iten recommended shaping a clay ecorche to learn anatomy deeply and quickly. I'll later see if I want to make clay ecorche.

I have a few more questions.

1. How good are proko's paid anatomy courses, compared to his free anatomy course?
    2. What is autonomous art?

Thanks
    Proko's paid anatomy course has 3D Skellys, a few extra examples of how to implement the lessons, and critique of "course student work". I personally like the critiques because a lot of them are at my level/a bit better, so I can sometimes see mistakes I'd have done (or did if I tried the study) and sort of get indirect corrections ...With that said, the free one is good too for sure, it depends on how you interpret things I guess, whether or not you find it valuable? My brain doesn't comprehend books very well, so I stick to videos for now. Youtube also have great material from Steve Huston, you can also take a look at that maybe?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokigami.kineko View Post
    I have a few more questions.

1. How good are proko's paid anatomy courses, compared to his free anatomy course?
    2. What is autonomous art?
    Cannot answer 1., but autonomous art is art for art's sake, i.e. paintings/sculptures/installations to exhibit or hang in your living, as opposed to illustrations/designs that serve a purpose, i.e. sell a game/book/movie.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post: