Thanks

How do I study anatomy? & How do I learn to oil ? Atelier?

I am about to graduate high school and recently I have really been honing my skills in figure drawing. I have been copying books such as Bridgman and Loomis . I subscribed to new masters art academy which I have been following closely, looking at different tutorials on the underlying muscles and what they do, a swell as studying "copying" master copy drawings trying to see how certain artist like Sargent / rembrant and other ones do anatomy. But i feel like I am getting all of this knowledge but when it comes to my own art I cant seem to apply it.
    So my question is, how do I study in a way where I am learning to apply it to my own art. Are there any books that can teach me this. Will it all come to play when I go to figure drawing classes in the summer? How exactly do I "study anatomy".

My second question is where exactly do I start if I want to learn how to oil paint? I have spent too much money on these paints thinking I can just jump right into it but know little to nothing on the subject of oil painting. I am in love with the ala prima techniques used by the old masters , but dont know where to start.
    I have been trying to go straight into portraiture but I kind of get lost after the initial underlying base sketch (burnt umber sketch on canvas). I am terrible at getting colors and dont know exactly a step by step method on the build up of color . So for example where would I put my blues purples what colors mix with this to get the skin from the photograph or the model and so on.
    Are there any books anyone would recommend for beginning oil painters ?

Lastly, most of my modern "living" inspirations all seem to have attended some sort of atelier. Karla Ortiz, Carl Dobsky, Jeremy Mann, Vincent Deseradio , Adam miller , all seemed to go to different atelier for art. Do you believe they are worth it if you have been. How good do you already have to be to get into one of these types of schools. Are they costly ?

Sorry for all of the questions! Just curious and feel free to ask aswell!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    there are plenty of videos on youtube for painting in oils. Watch some that talk about color theory and paint application. Jim Gurney's book, "color and light" is good for theory. Richard Schmid's book Alla Prima is good for process and theory.
    Start with a still life set up. Maybe a skull on some books with a single light source if fruit is too boring for you.
    Process: In the beginning after you lay down the drawing, keep your paints thin like the consistency of milk. Start with your darks first then mid tones and lights last. In the later stages, you can apply the pigment with very little thinner or medium. Once you do a couple of still life paintings, go outside and try a landscape from life and then finally find a figure painting class with a live model to work from.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    . Jim Gurney's book, "color and light" is good for theory.
    Thank you a ton! So do you believe this book would be good for someone to learn what colors mix well together to get certain tones and values and whatnot of the paint!?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaStrange View Post
    Thank you a ton! So do you believe this book would be good for someone to learn what colors mix well together to get certain tones and values and whatnot of the paint!?
    I believe these things are best discovered by trying them out by yourself...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Well for getting realistic color you need lighting fundamentals. Understading how light interacts different objects of different qualities.You would want to know The basic form modeling, lambertian reflection, the 2 basic reflections : diffused and specular , other properties like translucency and transparency ...etc.
    Then color can be broken down into Hue,Value,Chroma, and then compressed into Value and Temperature. All the light properties above can be painted with the right arrangement of Value and Temperature
    If you are working with oil you basically use your pigments to move around the 3D color space to get the color with the right hue , value and chroma and put on your painting . But I'm not very experienced on that.
    I would suggest going through Dorian Iten's Light and Form videos as well as reading huevaluechroma.com ( free )

As for anatomy, the first thing you want to be good at is drawing basic 3D primitives shapes, unless you can do this everything you draw is going to look wonky. As for getting the anatomy down the most suggested approach I have seen ( from pretty much from every teacher I have gone through ), is that you start with simple 3D shapes to construct the base of the figure , then the anatomy can be simplified into smaller simple 3D shapes to put it in the right place in the right perspective. Once you got it down it just a matter of adding details . You can always go through Proko's stuff on Youtube
    How do I study anatomy? & How do I learn to oil ? Atelier?
    Last edited by GPhong; February 20th, 2018 at 07:06 AM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaStrange View Post
    Actually no it's more theory than practical application. The Schmid book is better for color mixing.
    There is also John Howard Sanden who has painted president and works as a portrait painter. His books talk about flesh tones and process for portraits It's a little formulaic but is great for a beginner when its hard to make decisions because of all the choices available; of the 3 books he has written, I would recommend Portraits from life in 29 steps as the best work, followed by Successful Portrait Painting and lastly Painting the Head in Oil. The only reason I put Painting the Head in Oil last is that it's an old book and most of it is in black and white not color.

On a painting approach for landscape, I have a number of step by step demos on my blog Art and influence. I also have one of them posted here on this site.