Thanks

Does anyone else struggle to enjoy drawing sometimes? Like, quite a lot

(TL;DR at bottom, because I hate paragraphs too)

I know this is kind of a loaded question, of course everyone sometimes finds a drawing a complete nightmare, or the anatomy studies become a slog, I have faith that everyone finds drawing or painting a struggle sometimes. God help me if I'm alone there. But, a little context, I always drew as a kid, it was "my thing", and I'd show my friends how to draw terrible orcs, and it was fun, like super fun, it was just what I did, and I remember quite vividly just absolutely loving it. These days, I don't know. I've had some big setbacks stopping me from drawing regularly for a couple years, and it's fostered a deep self doubt about my ability and my progress as a serious artist, the fun of drawing and painting feels like a sprint, like some days it's like I'm just doing it to run from the voices in my mind that tell me it's too late, it's over, I'm never going to get there, that I don't even love art anymore, that I'm wasting my time. Some days I don't like art, some days I don't even want to draw and starting doesn't make the feeling go away, it's still painful, all starting does is actualise my fears that I'm not good enough to keep competing, which is telling, growing up has turned art into a competition, and now that I'm losing, it's terrifying me.

Some days it makes me happy... If I work hard, and know I did my best, and think I'm better than I was yesterday, then I'm happy, and the love I had for it as a child kind of fizzes through my veins like some magic, like a spell I feel in my bones but can't remember the words for.

Does this resonate with anyone? I know I just did a whole monologue about myself, but I want to hear what other people think about this. Have you ever hated art because it made you feel inadequate? Lost your love for drawing or painting? How did you get through it? I'm sorry if this is a stupid post, or if it's been made a hundred times before, I haven't contributed to this community in years, I always just Google my problems and see if anyone else has talked about it in another forum so I can try to self insert, but I think I should engage with this feeling actively, rather than as an observer.

TL;DR: Some days I hate art, and feel like I've lost my love for it, and as if it's entirely dependent on how good I think I am. Does anyone else feel like this, or some variant of this?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sometimes I hate everything I draw but it's like a compulsion and I can't stop.

Thanks
    Drawing is like physical exercise. In the beginning you hate it, and you need to force yourself to do it. But once you get going, it feels good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujii View Post
    Sometimes I hate everything I draw but it's like a compulsion and I can't stop.
    I think I get that? Sometimes my art is just so ugly to me, but it's almost like my own crappiness is spurring me on? It's weird. I get that compulsion too, usually only when I've been drawing a lot though.
    I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacegryphon View Post
    Drawing is like physical exercise. In the beginning you hate it, and you need to force yourself to do it. But once you get going, it feels good.
    You're right about that, I think I'm feeling so hopeless right now because of taking a couple of days away from art to build a new computer, it felt like it wasn't so long, but I'd been drawing really intensely before that, and now I feel like I'm totally out of shape, to carry on with your comparison. Maybe the trick is just to get back into the swing, making art is addictive when you start sinking time into it.
    I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!