Thanks

Concept art or something else

I've been looking on forums everywhere and generally they're all saying that becoming a concept artist doesn't pay well . Although I'd like to become a concept artist are there any similar jobs which have better salaries.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    The games industry artist salary report says otherwise

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wonder how many of the forum people work for an actual studio?
    My guess is they're either underselling their services and/or overestimating their current artistic abilities as freelancers.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    My guess is very few people on here make their living solely from their art. I would bet less than 10%. As in the rest of society, most of the artists I know don't make their living as artists, they may supplement their income with art occasionally, but they have other people who foot the bills for them or they are retired and they claim professional status when in reality that's not the case.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well i have only started working recently at a humble studio position in a humble place but i can tell that there are more positions in the production pipeline than 2D/3D Character/Environment. I hear that they pay pretty well because everyone just want to do the " cool " jobs instead of more technical ones. I live in Asia though, so it may be different in the West

I don't have much experience in freelancing but to me, working on your own without any fame/connection, combined with the lack of social skill/salemanship , coupled with the very common artist's chronic self-depreciation, in the area that everyone and their mother dream of doing . It's pretty logical that the experience is gonna be on the worse side
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it