Thread: Why draw?

Thanks

Question Why draw?

Why does one draw? Lately I just don't understand drawing anymore.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is a serious question.
    I'm assuming it is.

A bunch of different reasons really. Some draw for money, some draw for praise, some draw because they like it, some see it as a challenge, some as a journey (which I don't relate to, because then the destination would always be the point), some like me, don't see it as a journey, but something like a dance instead (a dancer or musician don't really have a particular place or note to arrive at, the whole music or dance is the point of it.)

If you ask the need for the drawing to have place, then some architects dating back to Roman era would be incredibly crucial, they invented roads, doors and mastered building, in a way they were more designers than artists. Some others of that time saw it like a science, to understand the world, the body, the anatomy, the movement of birds around them. Some other civilizations made drawing and sculpture to please gods, kings, important people...

But fundamentally, no one knows,drawing has been with us for millions of years since Cave Man era, why they did it, is a mystery with some plausible theories some researches defend, but you'd have to ask the cave man why they started it.

It's a mysterious thing, drawing is like visual philosophy, it has been with us for millions of years, looking back and then to our time, you can see it's not going away. Just enjoy it, think nothing of it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miguelnarayan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I like that you compare it to a dance. Yes this is a serious question.

Thanks
    It's a more productive hobby than, i.e., binge drinking.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spacegryphon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The caveman did it to express themselves. Communication was important in hunter-gatherer societies when we used to hunt animals as a group. That communication later transferred to other sorts of communication like art. I'm an aspiring comic book artist, so the reason why I draw is because there are ideas that I want to express.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MoeY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This comes to mind from this topic: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.fi/201...ps-do-art.html
    "When Congo was “paid” with a treat for doing a painting, he started to lose interest in the work. This paradoxical behavior mirrors what happens with human children and adults. Rewards and praise have been shown to have a chilling effect on creativity and output."

Its fun to play with ideas and challenge itself

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Everyone draws, even if it's just a doodle. It sort of concentrates the mind and clarifies it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The need to express emotion and thought comes to mind first of course.
    Or to pay a tribute to nature in an attempt to imitate its beauty.

But then I feel like there's also a need to feel something new, to visit someplace else, to meet special people and watch them live their lives. For me it would mean a lot to be able to draw those strange places I'm seeing in my dreams so often. To make something important have a physical form when it had none before, however insignificant it must seem to others.
    It would make those precious good and weird things just a little more real. And they won't disappear completely when you stop thinking about them. Drawing as kind of a tool for an escapist.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to billie cake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not quite about drawing, but from Churchill;

"Painting is complete as a distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Whatever the worries of the hour or the threats of the future, once the picture has begun to flow along, there is no room for them in the mental screen."

I may have to ride on Andrew Marr's coattails too, when I can dig out that book.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It helps my mind relax.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fujii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cause i admire real drawing skill. Cause i can feel the emotion i'm portraing in a character. Cause i like to design cool stuff. Cause i like the constant grouth of my skills. Cause it's more productive than watching netflix or reading manga all day. Cause if i make it my work and passion my view of life will not be as grey as before.
    Many reasons really. But it's the only thing i find enjoyable and productive doing, even if it's hard.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    question should be 'why make art' shouldnt it? I draw because it is the only medium in which i can visually communicate my thoughts/ideas. writers use words musicians use sound. to quote Mahler "if a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music". they're languages people just gravitate towards i guess.

I see drawing as a means to an end, the end being the result. i dont know why people are afraid to admit the result is something to look foward to. yes the process is interesting and fun blahblah but at the end of the day the finish is the objective and is what speaks most clear.
    as pointed out by miguelnarayan "a dancer or musician don't really have a particular place or note ro arrive at, the whole music or dance is the point of it"
    and thats where the difference lies. people go to concerts and movies to see the whole not just the end as they do with paintings. what a pity :/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Giantano For This Useful Post: