Thanks

norman rockweel and j.c.leyendecker question

Does anyone know how long it took for these two artists to complete an illustration/painting?

doesnt seem to be any info of this on the web

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to W!L For This Useful Post:

All

Thanks
    Thanked 6,690 Times in 4,601 Posts
    Fabulous question. I'll see if some of my friends know on FB. As both used reference, that would have taken time to set up, develop the film and print, but they would have had deadlines.

Should say reference for Leyendecker was from life.
    Last edited by Black Spot; February 14th, 2018 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,546 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Rockwell could do a painting every 3 or 4 days. Or about 2 a week during his 47-year career. Of course, he had slow periods and faster periods and had multiple assignments in various stages at the same time. Leyendecker would have been the same and if you take their total output and divide it into their total careers you see it works out to a couple of paintings a week.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Rockwell could do a painting every 3 or 4 days. Or about 2 a week during his 47-year career. Of course, he had slow periods and faster periods and had multiple assignments in various stages at the same time. Leyendecker would have been the same and if you take their total output and divide it into their total careers you see it works out to a couple of paintings a week.
    Stupid question, but Rockwell worked primarily in oils right? How was he able to accomplish such a quick turnaround in that medium?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Fabulous question. I'll see if some of my friends know on FB. As both used reference, that would have taken time to set up, develop the film and print, but they would have had deadlines.

Should say reference for Leyendecker was from life.
    Hi Jules. thanks. yes I know a lot about their process. there is a ton of info out there on each but actually how long each paintng took i can not find.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the reply.
    that seems very very fast. are you just going on the math or years working and works or do you have a source for that info?
    I do know that normal rockwells son said one painting for the post took 9 months to complete beause his father couldnt get the right expression. which i do not know how that would work with a dealine? maybe there had much lonmger dealines and bigger budgets back then

Thanks
    He talks about his process in My Life as an Illustrator. In one section of the book, he said he completed 5 advertising paintings in a little more than two weeks (16 days) while also working on a post cover. In the beginning of the book, he says in one chapter he did six post covers that year and also many covers for Life, Judge, and Leslie's magazines. There is also information in 'Illustrating for the Saturday Evening Post' and '40 Illustrators and How They Work', although those books aren't just about Rockwell.
    In the Post book, it says they published 52 covers a year, one a week. It also mentions in some of the antidotes of a two-week deadline for art but also says some people are illustrating stories with multiple illustrations.

Yes, he worked in oils he would start with small thumbnail sketches for ideas, then bring in models to work from life ( the first 25 years of his career he never used photos)or shoot photos later in his career then do a large charcoal cartoon the same size as the painting and then paint it. He planned his stuff and had multiple things going at once, he was trained at the art students league under George Bridgman. It doesn't seem fast, it seems normal for those guys with that level of training and ability. Wyeth could do a painting in a day according to his son, but his normal working time was 3 or 4 days also. But remember that is an average, some jobs because of complexity could take longer, the four freedoms took 6 months to finish, and I'm sure some could be finished in a day or two. At his peak, he was painting 11 covers a year for the Post plus his advertising assignments, boy scout illustrations, calendars and work for other magazines.
    Last edited by dpaint; February 15th, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Early illustrators had to do for magazines with one color, black and white so I assume it would be faster to do???
    http://www.muddycolors.com/2017/11/d...illustrations/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah, it would be slightly faster but sometimes people like Dean Cornwell painted in color even when the image was going to be printed in black and white, so it really depended on the time period, the artist and the specific image and the magazine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    You know me, I've always mentioned to you how I battle with wet on wet while you are on of the artists that do amazing things with it. Am I guessing Rockwell did a lot of wet-work? It's just his application and technique that really fascinates me.

Thanks
    I'm sure he did some, but his technique relied heavily on the drawing which basically gives him a grisaille in charcoal that he tinted with transparent and semi-transparent color. I would imagine he had everything planned so that if he had to let it dry he had some other project to work on, so the time frame for his paintings were probably spread out over days, weeks or months but the actual painting time was not that long.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: