Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)

Character of the Week #457

Horseman of the post apocalypse
    Deadline - Monday, Febuary 26th
    8AM GMT

In a post-apocalyptic world destroyed by nuclear weapons the horsemen of the apocalypse ride across the wasteland. Half human - half animal these centaur like beings purposes are unknown. Are they here to destroy the last survivors of humanity or are they being punished for leaving remnants alive and are cursed to walk the mortal world?
    Even more disturbing are the rumours of a fifth horseman, who glows with an all too familiar green light.
    He is known as “Radiation”

Centaur: For this round the term centaur will mean a combination of the upper torso of a human with a creature of your choice in place of legs.
    Any animal with four legs or more is acceptable, not just horses.
    Eg: War might look with the lower half of a tiger, and Pestilence might suit being half fly, buzzing just above the ground.
    Creatures with no legs such as slugs, snakes etc will also be allowed.

A few inspiring artworks I found online to get those creative juices going:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KJ4wG
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4koZW
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3B3Pm
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WrmwN
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8Z5lw

• Male or female centaur (see above)
    • Depict either Death, War, Pestilence, Famine or Radiation
    • Genre is post apocalypse.

The Rules:
    - FINALS: Must post in finals thread before the deadline
    - KNEES UP: Must show at least 3/4 of the character, from at least the knees up.
    - FRONT VIEW: Must be able to see the front of design. No back views without a front.
    - WIPS: Must show at least 2 work in progress shots either in the wips thread or finals thread.
    - READABLE: Design must be readable, as in a 3D model could be made from your image.
    - ONLY ONE: May only submit one entry. No multiple submissions.
    - 3D: Must be originally created models, excluding primitives. 3D paint-overs permitted. If you choose to use 3D in whole or in part you must show a screenshot of the model in 3D software with final entry.
    - UNACCEPTABLE: These are not permitted: Photos, photo paint-overs, photobashing, pre-made or purchased 3D
    models
    , rushed works/ rough sketches.
    - NEW USERS: Must submit entries by 6pm GMT on due date, due to conceptart.org's moderation process:

- DESIGN: Design your character for the brief, not your personal fetish. Nudes without some design are not permitted.
    - READ: Read through the threads; there may be answers to your questions already posted.
    - FUN: Have fun!
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    @raganosis... I like the turtle, but it doesn't seem like it's agile enough. The same can be said about the snail. The spider seems to be the most threatening one.

Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 2209
Size:  153.5 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awww this round gonna be really awesome. But i don't know yet if i'have the time to do something. Good start Raganosis and Edgarej.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ edgarej- thanks for the feedback! Though dose it have to be agile?
    I like the 4-5 variation of your thumbnails.
    @ GUILLAUMEDELOR- thanks! I am looking forward to see your creation!

Thanks

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raganosis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @raganosis... I like where you're going with this. I think a front illustration with the guy being eaten would look pretty cool.

As for mine; new set of thumbnails based on 4/5 from last one. I'm really leaning towards 2 on this one;
Views: 2086
Size:  278.9 KB

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wanted to knock out a few different animal/horseman combos. I think I have a lot to chew on tomorrow.

Name:  02-13-18-chow-concepts.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  101.0 KB
    Thanks!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudbreath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ I really like that bird raptor concept. I hardly see that as a concept. I also like the scorpion one, but that one I've seen before.

Thanks
    Throwing down some ideas of my own.

Name:  Horsemen Sketches.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  175.3 KB

Are bird-taurs allowed? They're not explicitly mentioned but given that even creatures with no legs are allowed, I would assume that they would be acceptable (and while they don't have four legs, they do have four limbs)...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ArroWing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice ideas so far, @ raganosis, I like where that one is going, but maybe I like the most that radioactive snail dude, it's not something that we see often. @ edgarej, I would also go with the second variation, I guess you are going as a famine, plague? @ mudbreath, those radiation and famine are looking cool.

Here is mine, decided to go for a war centaur dude, I should start doing thumbnails instead going for one drawing from the start.

Name:  CentaurWIP12.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  138.6 KB

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3mMK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice start 3mmk... and yes, I'm going for famine.

Color update:
Views: 2000
Size:  207.2 KB

I really need to solve the value of this piece before I get too deep in color. I can't decide if there's light from above or if I should depend on the glowing arms as the complete light source. Hhhhhmmmmm....

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What ups guys, Imma do the red ridder, dont know his name, war? yea.
    Attached Images Attached Images                    
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MUDBREATH I f*cking love your Famine concept.
    ARROWING Your Bird-Taur is awesome! i don't think it's alowed because of we need to show four legs. (but i hope that it can be allowed for you).
    3MMK Nice but keep in mind the genre is post apocalyptic for me your horseman seems more fantasy.
    THE JESO This lion body is great. And wait ... Samouraï-taur ? want to see more.
    EDGAREJ i think your idea to use glowing arms as complete light source is the best one.

For my concept i think i go to a lizard-taur. hope you will like it Raganosis
    CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; February 15th, 2018 at 09:24 AM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArroWing View Post
    Are bird-taurs allowed? They're not explicitly mentioned but given that even creatures with no legs are allowed, I would assume that they would be acceptable (and while they don't have four legs, they do have four limbs)...
    I'll accept four limbed designs, including mudbreath's raptor as long as the little front arm / leg things are included. You could always just make a four legged bird with wings, like a feathery dragon. I was mainly trying to discourage it looking too humanoid, ie man with chicken legs.

edgarej: Is the skull going to be white or is it staying dark? At the moment the head is getting lost in front of those dark clouds, so either lighten the skull or the clouds to get more contrast.

GUILLAUMEDELOR: Which horseman is that? If it's war I would deck her out with more weapons, or maybe give her some scavenged military gear to make her look more like a soldier.

Here is something I did for a daily sketch group thing "mammoth centaur" ages ago. They don't always have to go at the front...

Name:  mammoth copy.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  126.6 KB
    Character of the week challenge C.H.O.W

Sketchbook
    *light nudity*

Portfolio

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moirae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @arroWing... I somehow missed your entry. Pestilence is my favorite of yours.
    @jeso... good start on the body. I would like to see the bottom half more though.
    @guillaumedelor... love it. the bottom half somehow reads as a guy with legs though and less of a lizard?

Thanks
    Please help me with my value check... looking good or no?

Views: 1731
Size:  208.7 KB

Thanks
    MOIRAE you are right. More scavenged stuff is welcome. thx for your advices.
    EDGAREJ Thanks and yes for the moment i'm agree with you, my bottom half part gonna be fixed and read more like a lizard (maybe if i delete the shirt, the pants or both) i'll add some scales textures too.
    About your values, for me the problem is that it's too dark (and that is probably why you have trouble changing to color if it's the problem that you encounter)
    i've just changed the levels and added more shadows in the foreground to give more depth. I hope it will help you. Tell us exactly where you stuck in your process.

keep in mind that when you make a background in the landscape genre, the farther away the lights become clear because of the atmosphere. So you have to cut out your first, second and background based on that.
    Here is some exemple to better illustrate my remarks

CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)

I also found this http://www.evenant.com/design/9-comm...nner-mistakes/ maybe it can help you too
    In any case i'm not the best to pretend to say what is wrong with, it remains only a friendly suggestion.

And i'm at this step with my process for the moment.
    CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)CHOW 457 Horseman of the post apocalypse (wips)
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; February 16th, 2018 at 02:26 PM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @guillamedelor, thanks for those wonderful hints. I can actually use those for the eow this week. as for my background in this piece, I wasn't actually going for mountains or landscape. that's actually suppose to be fog. it definitely needs a lot of work lol... I might just cut out the background completely if I run out of time. But my preference is putting my characters in a scene, so I'll just have to see how far I can get with this. As for your piece, the one on the right is my fave. It reads better. The one one the left still reads as a human person with a tail.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You are welcome edgarej
    Little update of my concept. I still cleaning my line art and adding a "plague" textures i think i go change my mind in this way.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GUILLAUMEDELOR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GUILLAUMEDELOR - nice progress!
    Since siluet reads first, i would try to make it more interesting- readable. Cut out negative shapes, for example make the torso of lizard narrower. The Same with the rock, mb remove parts of it to see more of lizard body, place him on metal pipe or fallen tree. Can do something more interesting with the tail as well.

Thanks
    edgarej - nice progress!
    Crop at the moment is very tight, give it more space above the head and to the sides of character.

Thanks
    I see some pretty rad stuff being put together. Trying to getting something cooking in my creative kitchen here as well.........just some concepts.....What number do you like?
    Name:  CHOW457_Horseman_cons_96r.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  487.2 KB

Thanks
    Snail studies for the funk of it......
    Name:  Snail_SkStudy_021718_96r.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  420.8 KB

Thanks
    Hey guys, great work so far!

here is my wip, i guess in retrospective is not your typical "post apocalyptic" genre, but in my mind, from the beginning, i pictured a modern day era, in which an actual horse man of the apocalypse comes into, and wrecks shit up. Thats why im making it fantasy, i like that contrast, a fantasy creature, coming into modern day world, and wrecking stuff up. Thus the apocalypse.

Name:  fghfgh.JPG
Views: 1649
Size:  81.8 KBName:  kjljkj.JPG
Views: 1628
Size:  69.3 KB
    Last edited by The Jeso; February 17th, 2018 at 01:33 PM.
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

42. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @lege1... number 3 looks formidable
    @jeso... i'm really digging this ancient asian vibe

44. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    edgarej: #3 it is then =)
    Name:  RhinoStudy_021818_96r.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  163.0 KB
    Last edited by Lege1; February 18th, 2018 at 05:36 AM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Raganosis Thank so much for those advices. I'll try to incorporate them (with Moirae advices too) really sooner. But before i think i've to rework all the human part. I believe if it doesn't work as well as would like it, it's because my woman/lizard transition seems more like a green woman riding a headless lizard under steroids. After that i need to think about how to add the Plague keywords. Or Moirae gonna hit my finger haha
    Lege1 Muhaha nice to see you here. The rhino-taur is the best one (in my opinion).
    Jeso These details in the armor are awesome you gonna focus the War horsemen i guess ?

edit ; on the right the futur fixed picture.
    Last edited by GUILLAUMEDELOR; February 18th, 2018 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks
    @guillaumedelor The second one seems more apocalyptic horsewomany to me.

Thanks
    GUILLAUMEDELOR: Thanks man, good to see you here too. I'm with you and EDGAREJ on the Rhinotaur concept so I'm going to try best to run with that. I did a quick paint over and recompositioning on your piece just as something suggestive. I think less back ground and a few adjustments here and there could really bring more focus and interest to the character and make the over all piece more interesting. This is totally biased and is just my creative input to try and help in anyway possible. Very good that you know to separate foreground, mid ground and back ground, that's half the battle in most of these illustrations. Rock man and I'll be cooking up a Rhino taur here my way in between my career work. 100%
    Name:  GsPovr.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  191.5 KB

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast