Thread: Opinions on WIP

Thanks

Opinions on WIP

Name:  l09rough.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  277.1 KB
    What's working and what's not? The concept focuses on light and dark, with the creature being identified as a 'god' hence why the left appears almost ethereal. The right depicts the slayer as the evil, hence the darker shade. But I'd like some opinions before i continue. Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 991 Posts
    I would switch the image horizontally. It's not reading easily from left to right. Having the protagonist on the left creates a kinship with them and the viewer as your eyes will travel to the point at where he is looking. Establishing a subconcious guide for the viewers eyes can add a lot to the effect of a painting. If it is too difficult to read, the interest will wane.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What direction is the light coming from?
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi mike, I see what you mean. I exported flipped this way but i'll flip it back lol.

@Vermis, the lighting is coming out of frame but it's cloudy, indicated by the change of light on the ground

Thanks
    What's the significance of the rocks/lumps dominating the middle of the composition?
    The leafy(?) shape to the right creates this visual arc with how its height matches the darker lump and carries over into the left-lump's shadow line.

Thanks
    I think the color contrast works well in this piece. If your focus is on light and dark and framing the god as benevolent and the humanoid on the horse as antagonistic or evil, it might take a few tweaks in light and design to communicate that to your viewer. If you want to use more lighting effects on the god like a halo circling it or a glow effect I'd recommend choosing your colors for the light carefully.

Thanks
    From Port FW: The mountainous area feel as if a layer of mist should be removed from it. This will place more depth and enhance the Elemental. The organics could use rendering as it out of focus. It is balanced and creates the scene.

Thanks
    The concept of the dark figure as the evil counterpart of the god just doesn't work for me because it isn't in any way menacing, composition wise. It just looks like some knight walking towards the god, who is the real focal point of the image. And from what you're written I understand that you want to portray them as equals - one of light and one of dark. However I'm unsure of how that could be fixed, have to figure out some way to juxtapose the god and slayer in a way that makes both feel as an equal threat, otherwise the story you're trying to convey feels quite lost in the composition right now.

Thanks
    Name:  fsd.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  364.6 KB

The red rocks are your focal point and completely destroy any kind of narrative you have going. Plus they look like balls.

Thanks
    Hi! The biggest problem for me with this painting is the two purple hills(?)in the middle of the scene. They drag too much attention. What's the purpose of them? Are them useful and supporting the storytelling?
    If you don't mind I made a really quick paintover for showing what I mean. I don't know the proportion between the evil and the god, I guessed he's kind of huge.
    Name:  god.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  53.8 KB

Thanks
    I'm really feeling the love from the amount of responses! I'm currently repainting some parts and taking into consideration of everyone's feedback. I think I will rid of the middle boudlers, and will come back with an update once I can!

Again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback, Thanks!

Thanks
    I agree re: the hills. They were in the way.

There remains a basic compositional flaw however, in that your mounted character disappears in the shadow. He can be in shadow and retain all your light/dark symbolism and still pop out against his surroundings.

Best way to fix these problems is in advance, by starting with a thumbnail sketch in white, black and 1 or 2 greys. Once you make the image read well in that construction, you know your composition is solid and all your details and color can fall in line with that findamental value structure.

If you encounter this kind of problem this far along however, quickly switch your file to Greyscale (or better yet create a Hue/Saturation mask as your top layer, with Saturation at 0, and toggle it on and off) to check if your values are working.

Often, a subtle adjustment behind the figure, or the addition of details in the mid value range, is enough to pop the figure out.