• edgarej

1 20.00%
  • Mailman129

0 0%
  • ctcool

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    I don’t think I am good enough for drawing I keep getting things wrong and when I see everyone else’s drawings and they say that’s there sketch and it is way better then my final price I don’t know if I should even try

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mailman129 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman129 View Post
    I don’t think I am good enough for drawing I keep getting things wrong and when I see everyone else’s drawings and they say that’s there sketch and it is way better then my final price I don’t know if I should even try
    Don't give up! Everybody has to start somewhere and you'll never get good if you don't try. If you're not satisfied by the speed of your progression, there's lots of stuff you can do to improve faster. You have to draw couple hours a day and you need to study fundamentals. Drawing is not easy.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anton Juntunen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mailman129, the community activities are meant more as a personal challenge, it gives artists a solid brief to improve their own skills. We all start off frustrated in our abilities, that's why we keep trying to do better.
    You took the time to work in details indicating different surface materials of your fortress, take some of that same effort and apply it to perspective drawing. You have any kind of small boxes around your house? (for tissue/shoes, packaging)
    Stack some and practice drawing.
    Start a sketchbook and "do copious drawings" as my profs put it. Don't be afraid to post stuff, any stuff. Ask questions.
    We're here to improve.
    Last edited by InfernoKing; February 23rd, 2018 at 02:10 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @mailman... keep grinding man. That's all I can say. Small steps...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Apologies for the image size, Vulgar', needed something a little larger for clarity

Mailman129, I've attached some tips to get started. I'm going to skip some things for brevity's sake (composition, lighting fundamentals, etc.), and leave out rendering for another time, but this should help with the technical basics.

First though, prep work: Research your topic. Where are these types of structures built traditionally? What kind of natural fortifications and landmasses were incorporated? You're not going to be copying them verbatim, you'll put your own flair and ideas into this, but starting from reality is the best place. It's relatable and you can easily riff of it to create something unique. Also, at this point I cannot stress enough to COLLECT YOUR REFERENCES. The internet is your friend, there are thousands of images of Japanese fortresses. Download a few (not a lot) that show overall form and detail for your reference while drawing.

------------

1) Starting off, the composition and framing is a little tight for the subject, but we'll use it. Something to think about though, the aspect ratio of your image should be deliberate. We see the world through a frame, be it our eyes, a window, a door, a camera shutter. A vertical image denotes height or an upward (or downward) journey. A wide frame gives the feeling of greater space (my personal favorite), and is great for landscapes.
    2) When you're rendering a landscape, especially with architecture, do yourself a huge favor and pull some perspective lines. I added a basic two-point perspective, it's dynamic enough and seemed to (very roughly) follow your original.
    3) Start sketching your structure. This might look like the tough part, but your perspective lines will help immensely here. The vertical lines can be straight, the horizon line is a little high for perfectly straight lines but in the interest of time, I just went with it. Also, use your reference, keep checking back and forth that details are correct.
    4) Clean up your initial sketch and drop your perspective lines down in opacity to give yourself a good foundation for...
    5) ... basic details. Don't get too crazy, just throw in the rough tiles, rocks, windows, that kind of stuff.
    6) Once your main structure is fleshed out, drop in some background landscape based on your initial prep and planning. Mountains, woods, coast, whatever, use your perspective lines to dictate scale (larger in front smaller in back). Alternatively, 5 and 6 can be swapped, sometimes it's easier to draw a landscape and add architecture depending on what the main focus is going to be but you'll still be using those perspective lines.
    ... and finally...
    7) ... which is basically full circle back to #1, give your composition breathing room. Steps 2-6 are showing how your initial image could be adjusted to follow the basic tenets of perspective without changing scale, but after doing so you realize the frame is a little tight. In your initial prep, make some thumbnails, quick thirty second sketches that drop in all the elements and give you a super fast idea of where things should go and how big you want them to be. In this case, the brief calls for an image the shows how the landscape combines with the fortress, so give yourself some room to show the landscape details too. Then you can start drawing lines, laying in architecture and landscape and then move on to rendering.

EOW #311: Natural Fortifications of Takahashi Castle - VOTING

Lastly, do not despair. You should never, ever think you're not good enough for something until you've spent years practicing. That's what those artists whose sketches look so great did, and they damn sure didn't look as good when they started drawing. If you're not practicing, you're not getting better. Thinking about it isn't going to do it either. Others have given some great advice, sketch often and at the beginning repetition is your friend. Let me tell you how glamorous my first semester of art class was: we spent the ENTIRE semester drawing circles and boxes (and some other mundane objects but you get the idea). Pretty great, right? But, art is not all tedium, and you honestly can do whatever you want, but the best way to approach a complex object is to break it down into SIMPLE SHAPES, using CORRECT PERSPECTIVE and go from there.

Have fun and happy art-ing!

[edited for clarity]
    Last edited by Corrick; February 24th, 2018 at 01:16 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Corrick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    day version and night version, which one do you prefer?
    Name:  giorno.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  111.3 KBName:  notte.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  73.1 KB

I did also wanted to explore other concept, but I'll stick with the first idea
    Name:  tempio2.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  73.2 KBName:  tempio-thumb.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  68.6 KB
    Last edited by ctool; February 24th, 2018 at 06:43 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mailman: we all had to start somewhere and you just have to keep practising. A few things I would recommend if you want to ddraw in the long term is to try to get a laptop and a graphics tablet, idk if that's what everyone else uses but its what I use. Are you using a tablet right now? If that means ur using your fingers to draw then it will be harder then if using a pencil

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharliesComics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ctool: I like both. Day looks like a training ground and night looks like a magical castle or an evil lair

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharliesComics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ctool: Both!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ctool... I like the night one better...

ok so I lied... found the time to finish it... is the perspective on it ok?
    Name:  2018-02-12-DIPE-2D-EOW311-TakahashiCastle.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  148.3 KB
    Last edited by edgarej; February 24th, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn, seeing all this awesome stuff makes me regret skipping this week.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zak Coughlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the advices every one

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mailman129 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

29. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well said Corrick

31. The Following User Says Thank You to scottlovesjeeps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    seems I forgot to post only the final entry. UFF! Next time! Good luck to everyone!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ctool View Post
    seems I forgot to post only the final entry. UFF! Next time! Good luck to everyone!
    You can post your final now and I'll add you into the poll!

Same goes for anyone who would like to do so.
    Join us for the EOW..

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hope to be in time
    Name:  notte.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  73.1 KB

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ctool For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2