Thanks

Abstract Art Thread

I'd like to see what kind of art people think is GOOD abstract art. And I'd also like to see some reasons behind it... Please try to post your thoughts with any images you post.

I'd start off, but to be honest, I haven't really given much thought to abstract work. I'd like to see soem examples and decide what I like about it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ....or not..

Thanks
    Georges Braque, contemporary of Picasso... cubism is pretty cool once you understand the gist of it...seeing the same objects from different sides and trying to capture that on one canvas...or simply disregarding traditional perspective/reducing the planes of something. cool if it works.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/B/braque.html

Abstract Art Thread

Marcel Duchamp is cool too- Nude Descending a Staircase
    Abstract Art Thread

post some other stuff, people... interested in seeing some new things.

Thanks
    OK, I have to say something on this subject. Not for me, but for some other folks who have posted work in the finally finished section.

What is the deal with Abstact art and this forum?

Marko recently posted some personal non concept art style work.....this thread is about abstract art. Everyone seems to be enamoured with it right now.

Over the last month or so Ive seen a few folks post non concept art style work in the finally finished thread and get completely bashed for it not being a chick with guns and monsters...

So whats the deal....why one set of values for one person and not for others? Do you have to be a great concept artist first to be able to post non concept art stuff? It just seems a bit.....well you know....double standards...two faced....whatever you want to call it..

I'm just throwing it out there as a question, because I think it's one worthy of seeing opened up. Im not trying to stir it up, i'd just like for all posters to be treated with the same values....
    daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    indeed i too did notice the treatment of the few abstract artists who posted vs. the treatment of well-known pros such as marko posting their abstract stuff. i find all the abstract stuff to be intriguing, though some may be a bit too over-rated, but true abstract pieces are interesting to look upon, and are not something that should be neglected.

remember guys, the world of art isn't all boobs and guns and giant robots with laser beams

cheers

Thanks
    i dont think people judge non-pro abstracters simply because they are non-pro...

i think its because typically they are first time posters, and the general populous of CA assumes they just dont know the overall intention of the site...and so overreact and bash them for not bothering to read what the site is about or something....

This is totally unfair, IMO - and i think that they should be pm'ed by a mod to make sure they know what theyr posting, and i also think that people should be much more open and accept all forms of art... its not like theyr posting up disturbing images or spam or anything.

Over time i think CA will evolve, and possibly open up to more forms of art... who knows? For now people who post non-conceptart are an underwhelming majority which is disappointing.... there should be a balance of all forms.

But this is a very opinionated topic, so id say we should leave it for now, just personal thoughts i guess.

Id post a cool abstract artist up, but i dont remember their damn names.... >_<

oh wait..... PICASSO!

Thanks
    Picasso had the same birthday as me....

Hmm...abstract meaningless trivia...

Lets go totally Abstract!
    daily sketchbook

You need to do more anatomy...and check your values....wait...did I just say that?
    [lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    yeah we need an abstract sub-forum in the finsihed area..
    marko triggered something there for sure..
    btw picasso and braque rEWL!!
    Abstract Art Thread

Thanks
    Lowpolymatt,

I'll give you my opinion about the subject. I believe that some people have indeed been mean to those who post abstract art. I think that they are just afraid of something that is "different" and thus react negatively.

With that said, there is a difference between good abstract art and bad abstract art (just as there is in concept art). Intelligent and thoughtful people can usually tell the difference though. Manu is Malin and Mentler (while his work isn't necessarily abstract) are two examples of people who are posting "different" types of art and yet are getting a pretty good reception. I think their art is great and that people recognize that.

Heaven help you though if you post bad abstract art. Those who post bad abstract art are getting bashed because they represent all that we as artists hate about the current art world i.e. people with no talent getting recognized for producing crap while those of us who work hard at a more realistic style get scorned. Now while I agree that the current "art world" has some problems, I don't think it is right to take it all out on some poor soul who posts their abstract art in a forum on the internet.

Marko is getting a lot of praise for his personal work right now because
    (1) it's pretty good and you can see there is skill behind it
    (2) people who might not otherwise like abstract work will take a second look because it is Marko--he has "proven" himself in the areas that people here respect
    (3) some people are just fanboys (unfortunate but true).

I would hope that work posted on these forums would be judged on its quality--regardless of who posted it. But because we have seen Marko's previous work and we respect it, he does have an advantage over some no-name who comes posting their abstract work. I think that's ok to an extent--Marko has earned his respect. But I still think we should try and view each work separately and judge it on its worth, whether the artist is new here or not.

These are just my thoughts--I hope I'm making sense
    emily

Thanks
    This thread wasn't inspired by Marko's personal work... I've been thinking about abstract for a while now (months), and finally decided to make this thread.

I just haven't had much exposure to abstract art, and thought the majority of it that I have seen wasn't what I would call good art. So I just wanted to see what people would consider good abstract art.

I really like that 2nd piece that cotron posted. It's interesting..

As far as abstract being posted on CA, it's as much part of art as anything else. Having a good ground in any art forms will always help you discover new techniques. Why do we have fine arts/life drawing? It's not concept art. Yet it is something that alot of artists lack skill at and something that contributes (life drawing though, is much more important) to being a good concept artist.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emily g
    Lowpolymatt,

I'll give you my opinion about the subject. I believe that some people have indeed been mean to those who post abstract art. I think that they are just afraid of something that is "different" and thus react negatively.

With that said, there is a difference between good abstract art and bad abstract art (just as there is in concept art). Intelligent and thoughtful people can usually tell the difference though. Manu is Malin and Mentler (while his work isn't necessarily abstract) are two examples of people who are posting "different" types of art and yet are getting a pretty good reception. I think their art is great and that people recognize that.

Heaven help you though if you post bad abstract art. Those who post bad abstract art are getting bashed because they represent all that we as artists hate about the current art world i.e. people with no talent getting recognized for producing crap while those of us who work hard at a more realistic style get scorned. Now while I agree that the current "art world" has some problems, I don't think it is right to take it all out on some poor soul who posts their abstract art in a forum on the internet.

Marko is getting a lot of praise for his personal work right now because
    (1) it's pretty good and you can see there is skill behind it
    (2) people who might not otherwise like abstract work will take a second look because it is Marko--he has "proven" himself in the areas that people here respect
    (3) some people are just fanboys (unfortunate but true).

I would hope that work posted on these forums would be judged on its quality--regardless of who posted it. But because we have seen Marko's previous work and we respect it, he does have an advantage over some no-name who comes posting their abstract work. I think that's ok to an extent--Marko has earned his respect. But I still think we should try and view each work separately and judge it on its worth, whether the artist is new here or not.

These are just my thoughts--I hope I'm making sense
    emily

Emily, you're making perfect sense. I'm not having a go at all...I guess sometimes I feel a bit of bashing goes on where it just isn't necessary. Call it conceptart snobbery or whatever. The fact is, some people just bash without thinking about the consequences (they might put someone off drawing altogether , when that person had only just started for example) which to me is a great shame. I wasn't intending to single Marko out, I think his work is superb. I just felt that this was a good point to make about the differences between regular conceptart folk and the people newer to the site. If the forum is going to grow we need to encourage new users, not snub them for posting a bad piece or irrelevant piece as their first post...or second...or third...once they get to 30...well...you get my point I think. There is a 'fanboy' element to this site...as there are at all forums and I guess thats something that never changes...but you can still be a fanboy without knocking the newer postees....

ANyway, I'm rambling now...I just wanted to voice an opinion on it is all..no offence intended.
    daily sketchbook

[lowpolymatt]

Thanks
    Matt,

I agree with your points, and I know you're not trying to single out Marko--it just happens to be a convenient example to illustrate the issue right now.
    I think it's good to bring it up and talk about it.
    I was trying to explain what I thought might be some causes to the problem, but I agree that some of it is just "mindless" i.e. some people just being jerks.
    My personal answer to combating the problem is to try and be encouraging to new posters. I've been concentrating my efforts over in the "Helpful Critiques" forum, though the new artists are probably posting elsewhere, too.
    I think if others posters show a good attitude towards the newbies, it will discourage the jerks. So that's why I try to jump in there and say something positive.
    I appreciate you bringing it up and voicing your opinions about this.
    And, forgive my ignorance, but what does the phrase "not having a go" mean?

DragonGX,

I'll try and think of some examples of good abstract art. All I can think of right now are the bad ones (some stuff I saw in the Village in NY--bleh!).

emily

Thanks
    I think most of the people that have been bashed from posting abstract art were people who were just advertising.. I don't ever recall anyone posting personal abstract art for critique or whatever (non-advertising) and being bashed for it.. It's mostly just been the people who were obviously posting their art for advertisement that were bashed...

Thanks

Paul Klee

Ok, here's someone who's work I really like.

I really like the colors on this one--the oranges, yellows and pinks.
    Abstract Art Thread

Love the patterns and colors here, plus the design of the fish.
    Abstract Art Thread

I guess I like one because of the simple design, plus it looks like there's a little creature there.
    Abstract Art Thread

This piece really caught my imagination as a child. The character in the boat is Sinbad. The designs of those creatures just fascinated me, plus I really like the variations in color. I wish I could find a better pic--the fish show up well in this one, but some of the background is too dark and you can't see all the variations of blue back there.
    Abstract Art Thread

Just thought this one was a fun design.
    Abstract Art Thread

emily

Thanks

Pablo Picasso

Here are some of my favorite Picassos.

Always loved those three musicians.
    Abstract Art Thread

Just like the calm feel of this one. I also like the way he divided the shapes.
    Abstract Art Thread

I love this one. It's distorted, but you can still tell she's beautiful.
    Abstract Art Thread

Just had to throw these in there. Picasso was a master with ink and brush.
    Abstract Art Thread Abstract Art Thread Abstract Art Thread Abstract Art Thread Abstract Art Thread

This one's not as "pretty" to my eye, but I think it's a good example of why some things just can't be told with realism. You really feel her anguish here.
    Abstract Art Thread

I'll end with this. I love how his face seems to emerge from the shapes. It's funny, almost like a caricature.
    Abstract Art Thread

emily

Thanks
    I notice you are from Utah.. me too Because of that I'd like to first recommend a couple of local artists.

Doug Snow and Don Olsen. Doug Snow recently had a show at the SLC library that I really enjoyed. It has moved on now but you should be able to find his work around town. As a matter of fact, I think the Phillips Gallery in Salt Lake represents them both (although Don Olsen died in the 80s).

The University of Utah recently had a nice show dealing with abstract and pop art (dont really enjoy pop art too much myself but they did have some Jasper Johns and I like him). De Kooning was probably the highlight of the show even though the works they had on display weren't his best. He is a personal favorite from the abstract expressionist period and I am always happy to run into his work. The Bellagio in Vegas had some really good pieces of his when I was last there and I think they might be part of their permanent collection..

One of my favorite periods in art history has to be cubism. Braque and Picasso are definately the main pioneers. A contemporary of theirs would be Juan Gris and I'll list his work here because I really enjoy it. Also, the Italian Futurists just about acheived perfection in my eyes (Giacomo Balla, Boccioni, etc.).

There are a lot of modern artists I'd recommend.. Max Ernst, de Chirico, Max Beckman.. Francis Bacon, Yves Tanguy, Chagall.. but for pure abstraction you got to start with Kandinsky then go on to somebody like Juan Miro, Gorky, de Kooning, Robert Motherwell, and Hans Hofman.

I kind of think that the web cannot ever do justice to a lot of these peoples work.. will 800 x 600 ever do justice to the Guernica? Or Pollock? These paintings are huge (as are many abstract expressionist pieces) and you loose so much detail, presence, texture and color over the web. It is a nice introduction though. Still, I'd recommend trying to take a trip out East to MoMA or the Smithsonian if you are really interested. Just cannot beat seeing something Monet's lillies in person (which can be about as abstract as it gets) or Boccioni's "Unique Forms" sculpture. The west has some good museums and galleries (especially like to visit San Fran myself and Seattle's museum) but Ive never found anything out here that is quite as good as what Ive seen back East.

Hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by oglzogl; November 5th, 2004 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    I like some of Kasimir Malevich's paintings.

Black Square and Red Square
    Suprematist Painting: Aeroplane flying