Thanks

I am giving up on Inking. Any way to correct your lines on sketch?

This is for Digital Art.

So, I am giving up on Inking. It takes too much time and it's too boring for me.

I know how to ink. I know about vector layers and smoothing, stabilizer, etc. But it takes too much time for me, it's too boring and it's not worth it. I am an impatient person and I need to produce more art, in less time, in a way that is more fun for me.

Basically, I want to jump straight from the sketching (creation phase) up to the coloring phase. The inking phase adds nothing "new" to me, and its so boring sometimes it makes creating art a pain. Of course, you need to really clean your sketches so they are not a mess when you color them.

So in this new commission, I tried to make everything with the Pencil. and I really liked the outcome of it. I loved the freedom it gave me, and how it felt. When you make Lineart, after inking, if you see any mistakes, it's a pain to correct those. If you are drawing directly on the sketch, you just correct it and that's it.

But, the only downside of it is that after drawing and erasing, the lines look a bit wobbly, blocky, and not smooth, which is natural, I guess.

I wanted to know if there is a way to correct these lines, without having to create a new layer and paint on top of those, with smooth strokes?

Here is an example of what I am saying: http://prntscr.com/ibi1dp

And here I created a new layer and drew smooth lines on top of it, but that kinds of defeats the purpose of working with the sketch only (but its still much faster than inking): http://prntscr.com/ibi3ap

Please, any bits of advice/tips are welcome

Thank you very much in advances!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think you're having a bit of misconception because we really don't do line art using vector ( vector is only used by graphic designer ) . Just grab yourself a drawing tablet ( i heard Wacom is pretty famous ) , for like a hundred dollars . I have used this thing from the very beginning of my digital art journey and i have no problem with it
    https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490D.../dp/B010LHRFM2

As for the line art , or " inking " as you call it. It really doesn't call for the super perfection to every single pixel of the vector and you can always add lineart on top after having finished painting in digital art
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    I think you're having a bit of misconception because we really don't do line art using vector ( vector is only used by graphic designer ) . Just grab yourself a drawing tablet ( i heard Wacom is pretty famous ) , for like a hundred dollars . I have used this thing from the very beginning of my digital art journey and i have no problem with it
    https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490D.../dp/B010LHRFM2

As for the line art , or " inking " as you call it. It really doesn't call for the super perfection to every single pixel of the vector and you can always add lineart on top after having finished painting in digital art
    Hello, thank you very much for the kind reply. I do have a Wacom (CTL - 480) and it's a lifesaver! The thing is within Clip Studio Paint, also known as Manga Studio 5 or in Paint Tool Sai, you have the option to create a Vector Layer. In this layer, you can draw your lines and after you drew them, you can adjust them however you want. It's handy when inking. You can shrink them, change the line weight, etc.

But I think it might be disturbing me? Because sometimes when you erase one part, you erase the whole line, and you don't have as much freedom as if you were drawing with the traditional Ink / Pencil on a Raster Layer.

Best regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrielSimoes View Post
    Hello, thank you very much for the kind reply. I do have a Wacom (CTL - 480) and it's a lifesaver! The thing is within Clip Studio Paint, also known as Manga Studio 5 or in Paint Tool Sai, you have the option to create a Vector Layer. In this layer, you can draw your lines and after you drew them, you can adjust them however you want. It's handy when inking. You can shrink them, change the line weight, etc.

But I think it might be disturbing me? Because sometimes when you erase one part, you erase the whole line, and you don't have as much freedom as if you were drawing with the traditional Ink / Pencil on a Raster Layer.

Best regards
    Well , as you said , if you keep changing the design after having done the line art, then it's just more efficient to do the line art at the end , if your style of choice really calls for them.

To me, it just seems that you are wasting your time wrestling with a trivial problem while there are larger one to be dealt with. Your knowledge on drawing seems really low to me and for line art in particular, you don't know how to design and control your line weight as well as using accents. And i think those are more important than wrestling with the tools of an art program

Most people just use a tip brush or sth of their personal preference and draw the lines
    https://www.artstation.com/timofeystepanov
    https://www.artstation.com/kudaman

This guy paints on top of the sketch layer without doing intricate line art first
    https://www.creativebloq.com/how-to/...e-in-photoshop
    Last edited by GPhong; February 7th, 2018 at 06:06 PM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello. I am no expert and am a learning student myself, but..A bit ago I had a slightly similar thought. However, lineart really isn't everything, unless you are a person who has dominant lines in their work, a B&W comic-book artist (or just mostly do inking), etc.

You could erase some of the lines to make them 'smoother', but I think that may take just as much time as starting a new layer over your sketch and inking.

If you paint things, it's best just to loosely paint and do definitive linework overtop later. A lot of artists actually hardly sketch/don't at all, and just block out colors first.

You mentioned Vector layers and SAI. I would absolutely NOT recommend using it, as it makes very non-dynamic and boring linework that looks clunky and kind of nasty. If you use SAI or CSP, make yourself or find a good lining brush and a nice stabilizer (when I used SAI, I used S-2 for linework) and use different pressures to make things more interesting. Use a normal layer for this.

But, no, those 'linework' or Vector layers/settings are downright awful.

I do also recommend to experiment with what works for you, and do not stress so much about linework- depending on what you do, it's good to also focuse on other areas (composition, color-theory, values, anatomy, perspective, etc.). Of course, depending on what field of work you're getting into, you should study certain things more than others. Try experiments with inking, if you struggle and want your work to have prominent lines.

Best regards!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    As said, you need more confidence and control in your lines. You are giving up before even starting. Pencil, ink and paper, even ballpoint on paper for studies would serve you much better at this point in time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PierrotPuppetry View Post
    Hello. I am no expert and am a learning student myself, but..A bit ago I had a slightly similar thought. However, lineart really isn't everything, unless you are a person who has dominant lines in their work, a B&W comic-book artist (or just mostly do inking), etc.

You could erase some of the lines to make them 'smoother', but I think that may take just as much time as starting a new layer over your sketch and inking.

If you paint things, it's best just to loosely paint and do definitive linework overtop later. A lot of artists actually hardly sketch/don't at all, and just block out colors first.

You mentioned Vector layers and SAI. I would absolutely NOT recommend using it, as it makes very non-dynamic and boring linework that looks clunky and kind of nasty. If you use SAI or CSP, make yourself or find a good lining brush and a nice stabilizer (when I used SAI, I used S-2 for linework) and use different pressures to make things more interesting. Use a normal layer for this.

But, no, those 'linework' or Vector layers/settings are downright awful.

I do also recommend to experiment with what works for you, and do not stress so much about linework- depending on what you do, it's good to also focuse on other areas (composition, color-theory, values, anatomy, perspective, etc.). Of course, depending on what field of work you're getting into, you should study certain things more than others. Try experiments with inking, if you struggle and want your work to have prominent lines.

Best regards!

Hello! Thank you very much for your reply! Surprisingly, I was thinking of the exact thing as I went to sleep.
    I think I am emphasizing too much on Linework since I mostly read Manga (black and white), but I want to color things and learn much more about light and shadow and color theory. And also, I too find that the Vector Layer on CSP can be quite a hassle. I spend a lot of time adjusting the lineweight after I drew it (making it bigger here, smaller there, to kind of give a look of dynamism), but in the end, after I color the whole piece, those details are quite unnoticeable and they vanish in the middle of all the colors and lightning..

I'll definitely do as you mentioned. Focus less on the lineweight and inking, and much more on Color Theory, Lightning, proportions, and everything else.

I think most of this happened because I showed one of my artworks on a Discord channel, and a guy said my lines were dull and boring, they had no Weight. I should vary the lineweights, making the lines thinner the further they are, and thicker the closer they are to the "camera". But again, that was a black and white drawing, and as I color it, all these details kind of fades.

Thank you very much for the response