Thanks

Is This Style Wanted?

Hello there. I just wish to ask a quick question- I am fifteen and getting into concept art as a lifelong career.

My style I've developed/am developing is sort of biblical/dark/Renaissance with a modern twist.
    I was wondering: Do concept artists have to have that same 3D-rendered, lineless semi-realistic style? Is a more abstract look in demand or okay? I will be flexible if needed, but I was wondering if what I usually do is even accepted- or if vast majority would go 'nah'.

Below is a link to a folder of examples to the style I am referring (I will list artists, of course).

https://sta.sh/2wei5kt38e4?edit=1

Ayami Kojima, WhiteFoxCub, jodeee, anndr, and CBedford.

I know concept art is more than promo paintings, but I like to draw silhouettes and add abstract elements or borders to pieces, and not just be 'a realistic scene'. Of course sketching concepts and architecture/world building, too.

Thank you! :0

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think you need to look more into each art position in general. This is an Artstation profile of an artist who worked at Ubisoft : https://www.artstation.com/htartist
    He has gave me a few talks and the daily things he does is the work that is expected for a concept artist position. Quick exploratory skecthes for whatever the projects needs that other people can take and use as reference to make something that can be put into the game out of it. I'm not saying that all concept arts are done in his " style" , it's just the kind of work you should expect .

I think it can be universally agreed upon that skill and knowledge is more important than style. And the market is full of games with a variety of different art directions

Also try to post some of your works so people here can see what's you're doing. Personally i have some suspicion with the skill level of a person without any work to show and use words to describe his style
    Last edited by GPhong; February 7th, 2018 at 05:15 AM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    It depends on the client/studio, their project problems/goals, deadlines, and whether an artist's abilities are a fit for that project.
    Painterly androgynous vampire illustrators would resonate more for clients working on finished visual novels, comics or gothic collectible card games, but probably wouldn't be a good fit for studios working out sketches for a near-future hard science fiction space trucker movie.

With exception to a few work examples most of the above artists are full on illustrators with singular themes, it's hard to even see them doing concept art in other areas.

https://www.artstation.com/sparth
    I'm going to use Sparth as an example because they used to post here years ago.
    You look at their conceptual stuff, and technique runs all over the place from orthographic drawings, black and white works, to more loose-lined images, to an explosion of color and shapes and brush strokes; and yet you can still recognize what each image is trying to convey.

I wouldn't worry about nailing down any particular style right now. Style is something that develops itself over time; it's however the artist becomes comfortable working and wanting to realize the images in their head, coupled with influence, experience and practice.
    If you want to do concept art concentrate on whether you can actually draw, can you do it in a timely manner that still effectively communicates ideas, settings and forms to other people.

I'm not dismissing it, but what does working in your desired style lend to that?
    When you say silhouettes, are you using them to check for interesting forms and thumbnail sketches?
    Can your piece stand alone with the added borders?

Actually post examples of your own existing work instead of others, that is more helpful in knowing where your abilities stand.
    Do you have specific goals; companies or areas of the creative industry you want to work in?

Thanks
    I should have worded it differently- I apologize.

What I moreso meant is if the style at all would be something desired anywhere for any project. I am willing to try any style for any project thrown infront of me, though. I worry way more on other things- the fundamentals- than style, and am fine working on things beyond andro-vamps.

I mostly wondered what sort of studio would be interested. Probably an illustration or studio that works on games like Castlevania (Ayami Kojima, persay, who did a few games' concept and promo art with a similar look).

Sorry for brief wording. I am willing to be very flexible, though. I have only been drawing seriously/digitally for around six months, but always was ambitious about getting into an art job. I'm willing to try whatever.

I will post some examples in a little- I'm on mobile and need to get on a PC so I can collect some.

Thank you all for the advice!

Thanks
    Here's some >
    sta.sh/214iaivs3gf?edit=1

There's style fluctuation where I tried some different techniques. The first one is WIP.

I think my goals is to try to draw more females/body types. I've drawn chubbier in the past, and curvy, etc. But I realize now I draw a lot of andro-males (which I think I enjoy most, but it isn't all fun projects). And architecture.

Perhaps I should try working in illustration for card games/books/promo art/etc. with maybe some 2D show animation or game concepts on occasion. What I always wanted was to work in horrors or gothic themes, with genres similar to Castlevania/Hellsing/etc. I also love fantasies like Zelda, Skyrim, or whatever else.

I have a ways to go, and the way up is to work harder. I actually very much enjoy doing comic work and finished illustrations, so maybe that is better than concept art for me.

I'm still testing out the waters here, and I think I got confused of what a concept artist does versus an illustrator. I did more in-depth research.

Again, thank you to all.

Thanks
    You're still young, you have some time to figure out your art path.
    Regardless of illustration/concept art you need to work on drawing fundamentals.

Do anatomy studies of real people, you currently have proportion and placement issues.
    If you're going beyond line art and flat colors do value studies, using greyscale to work out how to use light and shadow to define features and positive and negative space within a composition.
    I don't see any architecture examples, the basics on that are drawing geometries in perspective.

https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/
    http://drawabox.com/lesson/1
    A few recommended tutorials.

In general when posting work please use the attachment managers, rather than external links.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you much! I will check it out. Architecture intimidates me, but I am eager to learn (it also looks rather fun to create cities).

My proportions is one thing I need to work on, yes. I sometimes intentionally try to elongate figures to look more abstract for certain characters, but otherwise, sometimes my heads are too big/shoulders too broad/etc. I need to find a better balance.

I have worked a ton in the passed six months despite mostly being hospitalized, and no matter what, I won't let my health get in the way of success.

So, thank you! I look forward to learning more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PierrotPuppetry View Post
    Thank you much! I will check it out. Architecture intimidates me, but I am eager to learn (it also looks rather fun to create cities).
    If you are interested to learn heavy perspective https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNP...3Q8zr4eKvmhLGQ also Scott Robertson How to draw is good

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    If you are interested to learn heavy perspective https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNP...3Q8zr4eKvmhLGQ also Scott Robertson How to draw is good
    Technical stuff; a challenge. I like it- something new to try.

Thank you!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PierrotPuppetry For This Useful Post: