Art: Your FEBRUARY 2003 SP THREAD (use your head)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Your FEBRUARY 2003 SP THREAD (use your head)

Welcome!!!

Sorry it's me again (where is a Keyth when you need one?)

I've tried to be late and skip the thread opening but... i can't stay too much away from here so.. here I go again.
    If you are new around.. dig a little in the depths of the Gues SP area - and if find the way back... try a SP and post it.
    USE YOUR HEAD.. the very right way!

1 Feb 2003

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people

to introduce myself:
    that's me.

Your FEBRUARY 2003 SP THREAD (use your head)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! 6 more weeks of winter! :grumble:

went overboard with the lines on this one
    and
    1st thing in the morning SP

Patton you are hilaaaarious! You dont give yourself enough credit those self portraits are great. I like the 1st and the 4th ones the best. The other seem just abit too flat in contrast and perspective, but the colors and proportions are quite good in those 2.

Rusty besides what you said about proportions i love the merging of biological and mechanical you do on your nose and lips

Blackhawk two very expressive SPs, your use of color is very emotional

Thats creepy Coriat, why not add some colour?

Oblio thats really simple and effective

Looks good Bibi welcome

Last edited by ummo; February 5th, 2003 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reeves: I did physics in my first year of uni along with computing as I had to take a science course so I know just ho hard physics gets at uni . I have done some particually nasty theory coursesin my time but since most of the theory courses I dislike use some form of discreet maths in I always look on that as the basis of all evil .

bibi5000: That looks good welcome to the board

ummo: Rockin colors .

Here is another quicky at 100% opacity. Next I will have to get out of the habit of painting over my mistakes and get my marks right first time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Benzo,thanks for not letting me gett away with things .but yeah i already pointed out that i stuffed up the proportions,because i was focusing to much on detail i totally forgot about proportion,..i tryed to justify it by adding 2 eyes on the left side to try an balance it out,but it screwed it up even more..lol..

Ummo i really like that sketchty one,very cool,kinda the style i do alot...other ones great aswell..thanks,ya ive been inspired by Geiger recently,....

wellcome bibi5000,.nice first entry.

Oi Oblio ya havent painted up that one i wanted to see yet.hurry up ;p....i like the one you started this thread on,nice and simple,yet its effective..maybe just work the eyes a tad more.Its just looking a little lifeless,try and give the eyes that spark of life,which is oh so important..yeah,b a while till i get a Tablet,All my cash goes into board,food,shit like that,but im slowly getting there ..

Hurry up Lionel i need yer secrets..;P...nice SP,no way i couldve done one like that..

Blackhawk,ya,try and finish those man,specially that second one,i like where that ones heading,...Your probably as lazy as me ,i lose concentration after an hour or so.but try and finish it anyway..

Last edited by Rusty; February 3rd, 2003 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here we go

I've been doing my SPs mostly digitally lately. I HATED the last ones (check the end of the January thread... my post there is horrid)... I'm not exactly happy with this; but I'm not as unhappy as I was before...
    I just read the replies last night, and Oblio pointed out about using perspective in my SPs, especially since I move my head some... I never really thought of that. I think I know what my big problem is: to keep myself lookin at myself from the same position, I try to make a 'visual note' in my head about the angle. For instance, I look at how far my eyebrow is from hairline. Only problem is (which I never really thought about before) was that I can tilt my head forward and backwards, but my eyebrow will still be the same length from my hairline. Soooo... if I only move my head back a little each time I look, after an hour i could have moved it into a totally different POV.
    SOOOOO.. I just noticed that last night. Let's hope I can keep my freakin head in the same position, and think of everything in perspective, instead of just shapes!

Oh yeah, Oblio: "Where is a Keyth when you need one"
    Is Keyth's real name Keith? cuuz, that's my name... :-D

Oblio: You're improving so much. I dunno why I like this about your latest SP, but, I like how the perpective on yor nose is applied. And the shape of your lips and chin area are really nice... But how about rendering them eyes some more?
    Just a suggestion, eh

Bibi: Nice. I like the colors in this. The only thing that bugs me is the ears, they seem like they're placed really close to the head... know what I mean? Your ears might be shaped like that, though. So, check for yourself and see.

Ummo: thanks unfortunately I couldn't see your stuff; something about exceeding your traffic quota limit for the day... I'll check back tomorrow.

Lionel: 100% opacity, eh? Did you happen to be inspired by a Mr. Hibbs? heh Everything here looks pretty good...proportions look good: the forehead might be a tad long, but I didn't notice it until I looked for awhile. I think the colors are good, too. Keep it up, yo.

--Keith
    www.lynxerror.com/~spear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ummo: Thanks! Same to you! I like the second one better: It's the look in your eyes.

Lionel: Thanks again! I must have seen hundreds of Selfportraits of you at sijun.

Rusty: Thanks! (I will have to look into a dictionary for a new word for "Thank you")

Patton Art: Really? I thought about painting over the whole image with a more "oily" style because I don't like the colors, but I didn't have the time. So I will leave this as it is.
    Yes, my ears are really small, but they're not that scrumbled.
    I like your expressive version of your ear, btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rusty: Sorry I tried to do a setp by step thing tonight but I just couldn't paint. Probably just to tired

Patton Art: I was definatly inspired a little by jibbs . That sp is good though try to not focus on the details and get the big planes of color right. Using a bigger brush may well help

bibi5000: There are even more of my self portrats her than at sijun

Just couldn't get one done today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine, I'm very slow with self portraits so hopefully I'll do them a little more regularly this month. I tried not to rush this one like i usually do and went for a different perspective. Please be hard on it especially the hair. I hate the hair!

bibi: i'm probly not the right person to welcome you but...welcome! and great sp

ummo: cool sp's, especially the first, i love the sketchiness

Lionel: I was looking at your stuff last month and I can see a ton of improvement over a couple months ago when i last checked. I'm not too crazy about the 100% opacity paintings although i'm sure you have a reason for them

Patton: I didn't think your digital sp's from last month were that bad but this one does look better. Especially the right eye, which boggles my mind

happy ever after in the marketplace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (where is a Keyth when you need one?)
    here ya go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking been awhile

im still kicking, to everyone who noticed my absence. i still havent missed any

keyth-great to see your face as usual, the red patch under the nose is working great, you can really whip these out and still solid as hell. how long did that one take you?

nottabird-i dont have a problem with the hair so much as the overall perspective of the head. it suffers from what ive been calling 'composite view', as in, two or more views in the same head (what patton was mentioning above). you can tell if you cover the right side or left side using the nose as dividing line. this is something i struggled with for a looong time before realizing what the cause was. as i gain experience i realize more and more how important it is that two things remain constant; the artists view of the drawing surface, and the subject itself. when doing self portraits you control both at once, making it that much easier to turn a small twist of the head into a disfigured face only tip i can give is either pick easier poses or block in the whole head first thing.

lionel-howdy, glad to see ive inspired someone else give the opaque painting a try second one (lines) is interesting but a bit rushed

patton-about bloody time you started posting :p

ummo-lined one has a nice sense of form, and i dont think you went overboard. the second one reminds me of vaseck klouda, good sense of light.

bibi5000-welcome aboard. youre off to a good start. the eyes seem a bit large, and the neck a bit small to support the head. otherwise great, keep at it.

ive been trying some different stuff this month, especially tonight's, which is from an alternate SP idea list that pattonart and i put together when we started :evilbat:

sexy, no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha - jhibbs - i've done one with long hair myself. (i plan to cut it so i've imagined i've let it grow a bit more).
    I'll pot it asap.
    Also... Rusty - i've started working on that one but after few minutes of frustration my head blood vein exploded - i had to stop.
    I've figured - while mates of mine are burning neurond in alcohool and crack i'm using pixels instead. It can become veyry dangerous. For sure it's adictive

patton Art - (little keyth so to speak :p) - thank you for your words. I'll try to follow your advice. (i've done over 160 SP's and i think i need someone to point out things for me now.
    I'm always finding something challenging in SP's but i have also to keep working the basics. )
    Here is another tip for you (btw- you are doing REALLY REALY well) - don't try to copy what you see. Thry to draw a head and only the the mirror inspire you. Check the mirror only to see details - but the construction of the head should be done using just knowledge - axys, perspetive, etc. The when coming to proportions and features check the mirror.
    Try a VERY VERY quick one - just a rough sketch. Then.. paint it over if the proportions ans features look ok.
    as i've said it before : USE YOUR HEAD

Oblio

(i'll post mine later, ok?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new one. You see me here ready to get breakfast (cigarette+cupoftea). I have to leave for work soon, so I took a quick, rather artistic approach.

Lionel: Really? How many have you done?

nottabird: jhibbs is right. Try to block the whole face before you start to go into details. I draw an egg shape first and then make little markers where the nose will start and end, where the eyes will be etc. Not that I get this thing right all the time...

keyth: I. am. impressed. How much opacy do you give your brush?

jhibbs: Your nervous style is great. The Nose of the girl's face is strange, aw, didn't find the word in the dictionary, what that part is called. The root of the Nose (that right?) is to wide and her eyes are to far apart.
    Puh, it's really exhausting to give comments in english.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quickie before go to bed. sorry i´m late this month...

Comments tomorrow...

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, I feel like a zombie. I have had 8 hours of sleep in 3 days... weee. I got an SP done though, so I'm glad.

Oblio - My SP's aren't that good, they are just alright. I'm glad you enjoyed them though, you enjoyed them a lot more than I did. I need to find a teacher or a mentor to steer me in the right direction, it feels to me like I'm starting to unravel and I need someone to help pull my art back together again. That last green SP kicked ass. I like how it looks like transparency film over the eye. Keep them cranking Oblio, don't be a bum like me

Benzo - Thanks for the crit, sometime I finish my SP's to completion, sometimes I think they fit my mood better when I hit a certain point in the SP. I'll be cranking on it, and then I'll hit a spot where I got aahhh haaa! That is where I stop, it really depends on my mood, those last two were completed as far I wanted to finish them, but I will definitely try the idea of working on one over the entire week, it would fit my schedule better

Bibi - Welcome to the thread, these first two SP's are a good start, the second one though feels like it could benefit from some better form through the values. The nose area became lost too me, but it's entirely subjective with SP's anyways, I don't know what your goal is in doing these. Keep them coming man.

Ummo - Thanks. I like the first one a lot with the lines. It gives a very sharp, blocky appearance, very enjoyable. Last one looks good as well, it has a very extreme perspective, I don't know if it was intentional or not, but the forehead is huge and it tapers down to a really small chin. Regardless, good work man.

Rusty - Like I said to Benzo, it was as far as I wanted to take it, I've spent 10 hours on these SP's before, so I don't think I'm that lazy But what do I know, I could be getting lazy, I'm doing a lot of outside candid life drawing to make up for it though. I can't afford any life drawing classes right now.

Lionel - Good job on the painted one, the forehead seems kind of flat to me, the inter-muddling of colors make it patchy in spots and to my eye, it kills the form on it a bit, nice job though bud, I haven't told you how impressed I've been with your recent SPs. That pencil break really helped you out.

Patton - Nice job on this SP, looks like you have an extreme case of nosehair there As someone else pointed out, don't worry much about the details and just block in. Details are easy to add in laster on after you have the meat of the picture done. Your on the right track though, keep on practicing.

Nottabird - Nice, challenging perspective, eyes look flat to me though, really flat, I think it's the same line weight that you have all around the eyelids and eyeball. Work on varying the line weights and it should help to bring some dimension to them.

Keyth - Great SP bud, when are we going to see a new twist from you? I'd love to see you throw a curveball every once in awhile and try a different style or brush. You have the skill, now here is my challenge to you knock our socks off

Jhibbs - LOL, that girl rendition of your SP had me laughing. I never imagined trying to do a gender-bender, looks like an interesting idea. These look great, the first one is a great idea, I get kind of lost in it though, I think it's because it's too busy all over and it doesn't feel like it has a real central focus. Other than that, nice work my man.

Jaku - Good work man, looks like the bottom of your face has burn scar tissue. My only issue is with the mouth, it seems like it's either too low from the nose or too wide, one or the other. Keep them cranking bud.

I'll try to finish one more tonight if I'm not called in for work. Have a great evening everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nottabird: That looks good there it is a really hard angle to draw. The reson fo tdoing the 100% opacity s I blend my paintings to death and was an apemt at trying to kick the habit.

keyth: Howdy stranger

jhibbs: 100% opacity is good practice. I tried to paint oils again recently and I reallised I was getting into bad habits with all this low opacity stuff :/. I like thouse new ones a lot.

bibi5000: This is my 88th . With that one try to not folow the faces outline but really look where the areas of light and dark are.

Jaku: Nice going on that one be careful about muddying your colors

Blackhawk: That one looks cool and GET SOME SLEEP. I don't understand how you can concentrat on an sp with no sleep

It seems to be really really hard to paint these this week :/. This one has been a really strugle :/. I don't know why but these seem to be getting much harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's mine...

Later,

Clay

Don't interrupt me when I'm doing my art or
    you'll destroy my future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lionel the work you put into you SP's is amazing. i started to do a 100% opacity today and scrapped it.. much more work than i expected. Looks great. The newest one looks like you are about to faint.. your eyes seem to be looking up.

Patton i like this new one alot. good range of values, and Nottabird said it, your right eye... quite good!

nottabird good rendering, but it seems like there is something awry with the perspective near your ear.

keyth looks like you sculpted that one out of clay very 3d

jhibbs your SPs are always really cool but the 1st of this new batch takes the cake. Looks like an Sp done from a reflection in a window. Oh and as a woman you are quite the looker :dead3:

:machinegu Kill the zombie!!! Blackhawk no seriously what lionel said get some rest. Beutiful SP tho, very minimal, love the muted pastel colors.

Clayrodery neat style. is that a digital painting?

tried to find many of the shapes in my face
    man.. its very hard to get a small (filesize) jpeg out of an image with alot of small details

Last edited by ummo; February 5th, 2003 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first painter portrait...why does painter 7 have to suck so bad?!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh.. i've been late on uploading. life is a mess here.

brokencow - thank God P7 sucks - otherwise you'll kill us with perfection! good to see you back here!

ummo - last one is dope. the skull looks a bit pointing up - makes a long face but overall it looks sharp on!

clay v3 - welcome. Lovely style.

lionel - man - i want to see a extra saturated one from you!

blackhawk - doped me again. i'll have to try that red nose thing too. beautufull palette.

jaku - work it a bit more friend!

bibi500 - welcome. let's see an even softer one. blend the values a bit.

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

homework

I am trying, but maybe not hard enough, to do my homework Oblio.

I couldn't keep my hands of the computer tho, here is one from memory

Oblio is getting so good man. Even the sparse unfinished? one looks like you.

Brokencow, the slick colourful one, the eyeballs aren't looking in the same direction. veriy confident work.

Blackhawk, some soporific vibes(not tested on animals) beautiful subtle seflportrait

clay welcome

promise more comments in time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mia - Very good! Keep measuring. I can not tell how important this step is. Mind the axes - eyes, nose, mouth and CHIN (your first drawing) are usualy paralell.
    here - this one is for you!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    clayrodery v.03: Wow very cool you make it look so easy.

ummo: I really like thouse pen ones you have been doing they have a really cool look to them.

brokencow: They are both really cool. Painter is a bit of an arse to get used to but you seem to have got good results

Oblio: That color one is very cool love it.

miasmak: You drawings seem to be getting better. Don't forse youself or you will learn nothing .

This one is dedicate to ChiaNi. For drawng this
    http://myweb.thump.net/1613/loinel4.jpg It was the look on my face after I saw it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brokencow those are nice!

Oblio that colored version of you being angry..fantastic

miasmak i think the second SP on each page is the better one. your eyes in the first ones seem to be off.

Lionel i think this is my fav SP of yours that ive seen it seems more vibrant and its not just the smile . Chiani is kick a$$!! she has some massive skills, and that is so awesome that she did that portrait for you

this one was interesting drawing with light instead of laying down darkness:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work everyone. I'm going to head to sleep since I need to be up in 5 hours, but you are all doing an incredible job. I get off early tomorrow, so I will comment tomorrow, and that's a promise. Night everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, i'm still alive, living in the big city of hamburg now, dunno yet if i like it.

happy you guys r still at it, always a pleasure to come back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice everybody, keep at it
    mine from past 2 nights, homework assignments for portrait drawing and life drawing classes (both SP's) both are vine charcoal, the red is pastel.

blackhawk-awesome job on that last orangish one, it wasnt showing last time i went to post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jhibbs: those are awesome.

yea, i hear you blackhawk. back in the day i had a lot more time to spend on spods. not trying to sound like an excuse...but i'd spend hours upon hours on just one. my time is a little....well there's a little less. but you are right! i keep doing the same thing over and over.

i'll try something for the next one...maybe later tonight. i've been doing a lot of 2d animation lately believe it or not.

cheers to everyone else!!!
    KEEP EM COM'N KEEP EM COM'N KEEP EM COM'N
    :chug: :chug: :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ummo: some of your features look a little off on teir place ment but the value is rock solid I like that one

Blackhawk: You have improved so much these are getting really really solid

retro: Damm glad to see you again. That one rocks as always

jhibbs: Love thouse pencils they are great

keyth: It is great to see you still posting even though you are pushed for time. Don't beet your self up about not being so inventive there is a lot to be said for refining a style

I must be a little bit mad to be doing all these sps

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.