Views: 155
Size:  127.8 KBName:  portrait02.jpg
Size:  113.4 KBName:  jf.jpg
Size:  157.2 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Lately I've been rather depressed with my faces. Well actually I've been depressed with everything, but you've got to start somewhere.
    So. Faces. Looks like I've mostly tricked myself into thinking I know what I'm doing. But I'm using like 3 views. Occasional skulls on the other hand got more variety, but somehow I forget about the fact that skull goes INSIDE a head.
    For whatever reason male jaws look worse of all. I mean, they should not be THAT different. What's going on here? Got to work on that: I like drawing ladies but I need some manly men out there too!
    At least my proportions are more or less correct... probably?
    T___T

Name:  Scan03.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  Scan05.jpg
Size:  215.5 KBName:  Scan04.jpg
Size:  192.4 KB
    Name:  Scan02.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  147.6 KB

Name:  Scan01.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  198.9 KB

Thanks
    The clothing on those last couple of images is really nice. I would say however that the digital paintings look a little washed out. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but try adding a bit more colour.

Thanks
    I love it

Thanks
    There's some pretty neat ideas in this sketchbook! Watch the saturation and value in some of the pieces. I reccomend reading Loomis's Creative Illustration book's section on tonal organization. It may give you a new perspective on how to approach values. Here's also a Gurney article talking about it: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...anization.html

Aw don't be depressed with the faces, they'll get better the more practice you get! It's not a bad start. Keep updating!
    Sketchbook
    "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it"
    Instagram

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arteriorrhexis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJams View Post
    The clothing on those last couple of images is really nice. I would say however that the digital paintings look a little washed out. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but try adding a bit more colour.
    Thanks! Really tired of all the naked people in my drawings XD

Those washed out paintings are actually grayscale originally -___- After lifetime of drawing with grey pencil, I'm very hesitant about painting. And colors are scary =D

Ooh, I dug up one of the older attempts at that last painting from a few years back. I guess there's a good reason to keep old stuff around even when you horrified by it. As a reminder that you're not really stuck:

Name:  T.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  135.2 KB

Thanks
    These are improving, really liking softness of those portraits earlier but could use bit more contrast take a look Eugene Carriere and http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...1926-2003.html You should look bit more structure study asaro heads, skull replicas and from life like self portraits as you have flatten bit of zygomatic arch (had to dig up name of that bone)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah the newest paintings are definitely an improvement over that image. As for colouring greyscale images, personally I've tried it and it always looks washed out. And I think it's because if you were painting in colour originally adding whites and blacks to lighten and darken usually dulls the image. So if you are painting over a greyscale image the same effect is going to happen. I'm sure there's a good way to do this effectively in photoshop or whatever program you are using but I am unaware of it. Ultimately though I think if you're working in digital there's no real reason to be afraid to paint with colours. You can't really go too wrong, it's not like painting traditionally where you can make a big ugly brown mess. You can always go over it and fix things.

Thanks
    I've been sidetracked into 'dancing bear' thing again. Which somehow turned from a joke logo into tiny 3D-animation project. And my experience in that area is five unfinished models stretched across 2 years. And no relevant animation knowledge, of course. But I've yet to rig the bear, so... one problem at a time.
    I even found those other models.
    With my first human model I didn't know how to do a proper retopology yet, so I got stuck at rigging/animating. There was just too many weird issues. There's a ton of things I would've done differently now, but how did I miss that nose..?

Name:  sierraDump.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  294.6 KB

This one was low poly from the start, heavily stylized and intentionally unfinished (that fish face, tho). She served as a dummy player character for Unity project I've been playing with.
    Name:  blake.png
Views: 51
Size:  405.5 KB

It doesn't even look too terrible with free mo-cap data that comes with Unity, but I had some problems integrating that animation with my player controller. Still from what I see now, 'walking' and 'running' states were actually resolved O__o I think I got stuck on 'turning' (It worked... until player 'nods' too fast, for example). That's when I learned that horrible word I can't pronounce (quaternion) and from there it turned into yet another thing I've dropped for no good reason (while picking a couple of math books) T__T Watch me exercise some willpower and NOT return to that project right away.

Name:  bearDump.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  246.2 KB

This is another dummy. I'll rig this model and see if I can animate it and then use its animations for the finished model. Otherwise I'll get stuck in details again.

Meanwhile, I wish I had more hours in a day so I could do those face and contrast studies.
    DSG, scarecrow:
    Name:  scarecrow0.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  147.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Can't get a solid grip on proportions of the scull yet -___-

Name:  Scan060002.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  341.1 KB
    Name:  Scan060001.jpg
Views: 18