Thanks

I have a bad tremor: I guess my dreams are shattered?How to overcome that sadness

I didnt want to join the industry, but I wanted to get very good and wanted drawing as my personal ambitious Hobby.
    But I guess there is no hope.
    My Tremor is a minor Tremor, but it is still bad enough.
    Doctor said the Tremor wont go away.

So there is not even hope to get better at drawing ellipses.
    Look how incredibly ugly they are:
    I have a bad tremor: I guess my dreams are shattered?How to overcome that sadness

Or even uglier:

Drawing makes no sense to me anymore i often fear that way .
    I want to learn fundamentals!
    But I cannot even practize them.
    So unfair, absolutely cruel.

This was the one Thing i really liked but i will never be able to improve, because my line Placement is the worst.

I had a discussion on a discord art Server, i guess they found my Pictures hilarious.
    They said everything looked like extreme Beginner art, but i practice for some years, and i stagnated from the beginning.
    Did many gesture drawings etc...

Now i feel very directionless. I love art from Jean giraud, Masakazu katsura , Juan gimenez...
    But I wont be able to follow them even a bit.

I was never interested in Money, I only wanted to created.
    But it is over, there is no hope.
    Why should I learn anatomy, If i wont be able to even draw simple ellipses ever in my life??

How can I find something new, since this is a killed hope now??

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You think that you can't learn to draw because you can't draw a perfect ellipse? Then your priorities are out of whack. Drawing ellipses is not the fundamentals, it's just one piece of the bigger picture.

You've let some random people online convince you that you will never be anything because you can't draw a smooth ellipse. That's absurd. The ellipses are shaky, but the straight lines that bound them are just fine. meaning that whatever you did to draw those lines can be repeated for every line. My own ellipses in this exercise would hardly be any more accurate.

Pick yourself up off the ground and keep drawing. If this is something you really want, you will find a way to make it happen. Maybe you just wont take the same path as everyone else.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some programs and add-on like Clip studio paint or Lazy Nezumi may be able to help you control your brush

On another note, learning anatomy, color theories .... Etc , only requires your brain being able to take in the knowledge

The absurd advice would be learning programming, make a deep learning AI to do art for you and put artists out of job in the process
    Last edited by GPhong; January 30th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    If drawing lines without a tremor in them was important Frank Miller would not
    have a career. Make your art in a way that it doesn't depend on something you can't do.

Name:  dark-knigh-returns-2-frank-miller-original-art-600x800.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  141.4 KB

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What could be good methods to really get 3d forms for someone, who will probably never draw very accurate boxes or circles and ellipses?
    I am not sure if the tutorials on drawthebox or similar sites are useful for learning that if I dont can do very accurate lines.

Maybe in my case very small lines are the best solution

I will have to try, but maybe you guys can give me some suggestions?

Thanks
    Some options:

1) Digital: Lazy Nezumi Pro for linework
    2) Digital: Paint with shapes, without much of linework (i.e. putting large shapes first then refining them)
    3) Traditional or Digital: The art you like seems to be fairly organic, where somewhat shaky lines aren't as problematic or even advantageous

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HannesWurst View Post
    I didnt want to join the industry, but I wanted to get very good and wanted drawing as my personal ambitious Hobby.
    But I guess there is no hope.
    My Tremor is a minor Tremor, but it is still bad enough.
    To be honest, I don't think your tremors are the reason your drawings look bad: your ellipses look hurried.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    To be honest, I don't think your tremors are the reason your drawings look bad: your ellipses look hurried.

Read more: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...#ixzz55lW1XByG
    Oh I didnt expect that Response.
    But I am supposed to drawm them fast/ draw them with fast movements.
    I didnt use the ghosting technique for the ellipses i posted yesterday,
    but I can Show you some Ellipses i used ghosting for and they were still pretty bad:

Read more: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...#ixzz55lW1XByG

Why do you think it is not the Tremor? Maybe you are right and I am doing something wrong. That would actually be a great News, because then there would be hope.

Thanks
    You do things " fast" by doing them efficiently . That means making the least mistakes possible. You don't draw " fast" by moving your hand faster, there's hardly any value in that . Even master like Kim Jong Gi don't try to move his hand like a mad man , he's really chill when he's drawing. And then you have tremor so it's also important that you pick and choose your battle
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh I didnt expect that Response.
    But I am supposed to drawm them fast/ draw them with fast movements.
    No. Practice slow, deliberate movements: this is how you train your muscle memory.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Now I did some very slow Hand movements. I also used the ghosting technique because I wanted my Hand movements to be deliberate.
    better or worse?

I did this as a test, maybe it is now easier to see if i just draw in an inefficient way or if it is mostly my Tremor:
    Last edited by HannesWurst; January 31st, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    Now I did some very slow Hand movements. I also used the ghosting technique because I wanted my Hand movements to be deliberate.
    better or worse?
    Definitely better. Now, draw from your shoulder.
    I suggest you work yourself through the exercises on http://www.drawabox.com

Sketchbook Blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ah i alread< used my arm. sorry Hand movements was wrong i did use my arm and i guess my shoulder too i am not sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 672 Posts
    There are engineering templates that you may find helpful.
    Name:  templates.JPG
Views: 1151
Size:  176.4 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    There are engineering templates that you may find helpful.
    No. These will not improve your drawing skills.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Name:  img20180131_15110148.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  8.2 KBding ding ding. I really think you'll find that it's the intention behind your marks which creates a good drawing, not the perfection of them.

Thanks
    Name:  elipse1.png
Views: 1240
Size:  16.2 KB

It's really easy to check if you do right or wrong, the elipse is mirrored through it's long and short axis.

You have your brain to make the decisions , your eyes to see the world to capture it as well as seeing the mistakes in your work and fix them. And then you have your hand, which pretty much just a device to put the mark your brain wants on the canvas , it's the least important thing imo so you don't have to beat yourself to get perfect motor control ( which your condition doesn't allow you to ) , when you don't exercise your brain and your eyes.

Like when people praise Sargent for his brush work and edges, they are prasing Sargent's eyes to see the reality and capture it, his decision to put in the edges to greatly enhance the quality of the painting. He probably didn't set his hand on autopilot and expected works to magically appear

Thanks

Definitely better. Now, draw from your shoulder.
    I suggest you work yourself through the exercises on http://www.drawabox.com
    From now on I will continue the desperate Experiments here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...79#post4049379

Thanks
    I also have a physical condition which impacts my drawing, in terms of causing me immense pain when I try to draw and affecting the actual movement of my drawing arm. Even drawing decent circles or ellipses or lines as recent as 2 years ago was challenging. Every drawing I do is slow and gesture drawing is painful. What has helped me the most was physical therapy on my drawing arm, involving countless rotations of the joint, and drawing 1,000s of lines and circles. Here are some I just drew a moment ago:

Name:  Draw.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  20.4 KB

Not the greatest, but continuing to practice will greatly improve your precision and fluidity.

Thanks
    Maybe your Tremor is more extreme? Can you draw straight lines ? I can, but I ask because People who cannot do this excist

Thanks

A small word of advice

Hi there. I am rather new to this site (that meaning I literally made an account a little bit ago).

I wanted to give an opinion, mostly on what I would think may help. I don't have tremors, but I have a problem where throughout the day, I will shake slightly. It ranges from small shakes to larger ones that frustrate me. I found a few ways to help with it.

This may not be the best way, but here they are:

1. I end up using small sketch lines, yes it can take more work, and yes I know it isn't the best way to sketch. As long as you give light movements, and keep your hand high enough to keep yourself from making dark marks(when drawing on paper instead of digitally). Find a picture of a circle, and slowly go around it using small strokes, take time, do it over, let it be messy. Then try it without guide lines and start doing it over and over, slowly. When learning to deal with shaking, it may take a longer time than most.

2. Go slow, don't try to do the quick, swift movements that other artists do. They have their way of making shapes, you just have to make your own.

Now this will move into the other two questions, about wanting to give up your dreams:

You don't have to give it up, you just have to work for it. I personally rely on drawing, its my way of getting my feelings out. I couldn't live without it. It will be a rough road if you want to be good quickly, but you can get better, you can learn to deal with them your own way.

If you end up giving it up, start looking for something that you can do with more...ease. That is bitter for me to say. I have a heavy opinion of drawing and believe that you can always work for it, because that is what I have done since I was little. But there are things you can do, things you can find that will work with your tremors. I also am here as a support system if you ever need it. (if there are messaging functions here. Goodness I am new.)

Thanks
    A begginer here. Draw slow and control the line. An exercise that helped me to control my line (and I'm not even controlling it at 100% but helps me a lot) it's place dots in different areas of the space, and then draw the line between two dots of your choice, free hand, slow, if you fail don't worry, just mentalize the direction and go straight. Don't rush! It's all about control and mentality. Hope this help you. Don't give up dude. Sorry for my English. I'm mexican.

Thanks
    I know it's an old post, but I just want to share this info;
    my professor in college had tremors;
    http://www.artnet.com/artists/ed-blackburn/biography

It never stopped him from painting.

Also on a side note, one of the art grad students at my university was legally blind/extremely near sighted. He paints with his face always less than half a foot away from the canvas.

There are ways.