Thanks

What do you think about croquis?

So I have been thinking what other are other people thoughs about croquis drawing. I had it in my art class (like 1 minute time limit) and I hate it. I don't know how to draw human poses so I don't learn anything and I guess it suppose to practise you observation skills but when the time is so short I can't observe anything..
    Is there something I don't get or..?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    Gesture drawing is tough. You won't learn to draw the figure from it, it's for getting action into your work. Do some longer poses first and then go back to gestures. I started them as stick figures and slowly worked up to fleshing them out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Gesture is a waste of time if you don't have a basic understanding of the basic human figure. I spent 4 years doing at least one hour of gestures per week in art school, and developed a scribbly and inaccurate way of drawing, in year 1 taught by a teacher who was hissing over my shoulder "fasterfaster" and didn't even want me to look at my drawing. It took me at least as long to unlearn my bad habits.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Totally agree what said earlier, I think if you do only long poses, your figures tend to be bit stiff but if you do only short ones those look bit inaccurate, so do both, but first do long, study construction (Andrew Loomis or Michael Hampton) and apply it to life drawing

Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Gesture is a waste of time if you don't have a basic understanding of the basic human figure. I spent 4 years doing at least one hour of gestures per week in art school, and developed a scribbly and inaccurate way of drawing, in year 1 taught by a teacher who was hissing over my shoulder "fasterfaster" and didn't even want me to look at my drawing. It took me at least as long to unlearn my bad habits.
    Did he/she even take a look at you drawings or was it just for getting "mileage"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    Did he/she even take a look at you drawings or was it just for getting "mileage"
    She worked from Nicolaides, aka The Great Book for Lazy Teachers, so she merely demanded us to follow directions without asking questions, just grading us for doing the exercises, carefully avoiding hard questions about art skills.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    I disagree its a waste of time if you don't know anything. The whole point is to learn to simplify and prioritize what you are seeing. Over time if you pay attention you can actually get good results if you stay focused. Its always easy enough to augment your learning when you are away from the model but life drawing is invaluable to professional work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There are lot easier ways to get started than quick gestures, like setting up still life. You want to keep frustration at manageable not so that you end up hating it and never do it again.
    You can use those life drawings as by looking anatomy book and fix your mistakes or draw clothing for it (bit advanced)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...oncept-Art-101

Thanks
    Thanks. Yeah, I know I should learn figure drawing first but this one of those situations when I didn't have a choice to not participate this class. I started my sketchbook where I'm learning to draw humans (never done that before). I have participated many croquis classes (unwillingly). I had just done so many of these classes so my thinking was” if you can draw humans what’s point of this and if you can't..why I'm even here”. I think it opened a little bit. Thanks

Thanks
    After 10 years of gesture drawing, I feel as if I hardly derived much value from the exercise. I thought that merely doing gesture drawing would automatically improve my figure drawing ability over time, but in retrospect I would have benefited from having some knowledge of anatomy and volumes in perspective before ever attempting it. Otherwise, my practice devolves to copying contours without understanding of the underlying structure. This year, I am focusing on understanding the anatomy in greater detail before trying gesture drawing again.

When I look at the quick sketches by some artists, such as Karl Gnass https://i.imgur.com/PBlYptO.jpg , I see the appeal of capturing a pose that would be more dynamic being held by a model for a few seconds or minutes instead of dozens of hours. Hopefully my sketches will start to exude that level of rhythm and detail and design in the coming years.

Thanks
    From my perspective, the purpose of studying of any kind is not the act of following one's order but making new connections in your brain so you will be more knowledgeable about the subject.
    So if you don't think you gain anything after a session , it's either : The discipline doesn't let you progress any further , or you lack the knowledge to make anything meaningful out of it, which calls for an analytical approach or getting somebody else to help you understand the value of that discipline better.
    WHAT to do doesn't matter as much as WHY you do it, because the later helps you formulate HOW you do it for the best result.

I would say that you might want to get some materials to research on the matter, figure out the benefits of gesture , and focus on making the most of out those benefits in your next session.

Like gesture is mostly about feeling the movement as well as designing and simplifying it. So you won't need it to be as accurate as possible but instead you would benefit from designing the most fluid.graceful movement based on the pose your reference is doing.

You also needs to understand its limitation and possible supplements too. Drawing a figure is not only about gesture, you need understanding of the form simplication and anatomy too . So study those as well even if your school doesn't called for it
    Last edited by GPhong; February 6th, 2018 at 02:18 AM.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Yes supplement are useful as well looking at other artists like old masters how they did use lines, mark making, composition etc. but if you want to look/study something structural look russian academic drawings as well Michelangelo
    Last edited by stonec; February 6th, 2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typos