Thanks

Lightbulb Concept Art/ Illustrator: I started drawing July of 2017

M|23 @Natesgd

I have been lurking for a while now and I have seen great sketchbooks and designs and ideas. Being slightly intimated, I came upon a rise of action to actually post myself here and ask you all what do you think of my practices and studies so far. I am unsure if I am allowed to link to my own Instagram account (its my name) or if this is even the correct sub. I am also asking this because I have seen a big thread where people talk about difficulty of job openings as an illustrator and or concept artist. I guess art in general too but I wonder if those are people who struggle who ( I don't want to sound like a dick but ) don't really understand what they are making or lacking in skill and call themselves a pro.

PS thank you for your replies Ill check this back when I wake up 5amPST right now.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry! I wasn't sure if my instagram would count as a "portfolio" per se

https://www.instagram.com/natesgd/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Not sure what kind of critique you are looking for? I would say keep up the studies. Try to create a finished piece from concept to final and post it in the critique section.

The professional illustration industry is one of the most competitive and brutal industries around if you are looking to make a living from it; especially in the age of digital rendering programs. One of the keys to landing work is knowing the foundations of successful illustrating and surrounding yourself with levels of work you aspire to reach. Take a look at the paintings of succesful professional artists in your desired industry and put one their pieces alongside yours to gauge your progress.

Life drawings and continued studies are your best bet to begin creating work good enough to be collected into a portfolio.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,674 Times in 4,587 Posts
    An illustrator and concept artists are two different things, but people can and do both. For illustration you need to show you can illustrate - take a well known story, and illustrate it. Do it in different styles. This shows you have imagination and take into consideration the context. For concept art, design your own imaginary game. Also do it in different styles. You're going to be part of the team - it all needs to fit together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really appreciate the advise/wisdom guys! They help alot! I was mostly trying to have a base skill set then jump onto CREATION. I have realized my work has been all just practice or studies and not "my art" so far but I do have this "pro" level piece in the works. I shall put it up on the crit section once it is finished.