Thanks

Jobs in the creative field

I've been working at restaurants/bars since I was 16 y/o while pursuing a career in art on the side. I'm getting sick of working in the restaurant industry though. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an alternative? Ideally something in the creative field, that way I can improve my art and make some $$

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    First improve your art, and then find a job in the creative field; the other way around is not going to work.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    any creative work you could do directly depends on a competency level so work on skills and then you will get the jobs that will sustain that work. Plenty of people have tried it the other way and end up doing shitty work for shitty pay which creates a shitty attitude about the creative industries.

Thanks
    Well the skill required kinda varies a lot . There are quite a lot of low - medium level jobs from what i have seen just from outsourced work, small, medium indie studios, self-published authors ... etc . Just go around the iOS/Android app store , IndieDB .... etc and you will see that there are quite a lot of artworks needed to be done. However, the pay isn't exactly great and freelancing involves doing a lot of negotiations from what i have heard, plus they are not exciting works most of the time. But work is work and money is money.

Also about money, it also depends on how expensive your area is.

Most people wouldn't recommend quitting your existing job, that's for sure
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    Well the skill required kinda varies a lot . There are quite a lot of low - medium level jobs from what i have seen just from outsourced work, small, medium indie studios, self-published authors ... etc . Just go around the iOS/Android app store , IndieDB .... etc and you will see that there are quite a lot of artworks needed to be done. However, the pay isn't exactly great and freelancing involves doing a lot of negotiations from what i have heard, plus they are not exciting works most of the time. But work is work and money is money.
    I beg to differ. If you take a job for less than standard price, you are instrumental in the race to the bottom.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    I beg to differ. If you take a job for less than standard price, you are instrumental in the race to the bottom.
    That's totally not what I meant at all. I mentioned nothing about selling yourself out and do works for cheap.

It's just that when I hear about " just git gud " , usually what the level the person saying that is like AAA quality, Artstation front page, .... etc, that kind of top level. Most people forget the fact that only a few percent of the entire industry have the budget to hire a team of people on that level to produce, not to mention that for every well-known concept artist in the industry there are a bunch of unknown people taking the concepts to make something that can be put in the game.

My point was just that the majority of the thing being produced right now don't require an absurd level of mastery. Yes you want to constantly improve but at the same time you can ease your way in through small indie or mobile game projects. 3D is also in high demands for outsourcing companies if you happen to live in an area that do it ( usually not America from what i have heard ). The work wouldn't be exciting, usually involve working on small mundane object assets but i know a guy or two making a stable earning out of it.
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPhong View Post
    The work wouldn't be exciting, usually involve working on small mundane object assets but i know a guy or two making a stable earning out of it.
    Isn't that what even concept artist have sometimes do? Artists doesn't usually show these in portfolios but I have seen some artists that do

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you mean that question as in already working as an artist but that's not how I read it so I'll answer somewhat differently. If you want to improve your art but cant work as an artist yet as your work isnt good enough than maybe try to find a job in a smaller art store or museum. It won't teach that much about drawing itself but it will put you in the right kind of environment and potentially get to know more people with similar interest. Then eventually as you become good enough you can try to get a job as a concept artist/illustrator.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonec View Post
    Isn't that what even concept artist have sometimes do? Artists doesn't usually show these in portfolios but I have seen some artists that do
    Concept artist is a hard to get position to be honest. The ratio of concept artists to the guys who put your concepts to life is ridiculously small.

For smaller studios , usually what they mean by concept art is making small assets, it's not just sometimes, it's usually " every-god-damn-time". See all the chair, table , tree and all the things lying around? Yeah some guys had to draw it and paint it
    Jobs in the creative field

And there's always the alternative which getting insanely good to get an art job that is "fun"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,756 Posts
    the game industry is such a small part of the concept art field and probably the lowest hanging fruit for less than talented artists. Get your skill level to a professional level ( which means be more than a one trick pony) and all kinds of things open up especially in toy and product dev, manufacturing and advertising, all use concept art as part of the ideation process.