Thanks

What would be a good hourly wage for a conceptart intern?

I recently sent my portfolio to my local game studios and one of the indie studios took me to an interview. They want me to do around 10 I'd say (not sure yet) conceptart pieces, and I would work as an intern. The problem is they are not well financed and they can't offer me a solid pay. They proposed that when/if they get funded they'd pay me based on the hours I've worked for them.
    So, they asked me to come up with some kind of number for hourly wage, and I don't know what would be fair considering I'm relatively slow worker, and I don't want to be unfair. What do you think would be a good number, or should I just turn down the offer? I thought the experience itself would be invaluable when applying for jobs in the future.

Edit: I should add that the law doesn't prescribe an absolute minimum wage, but the pay has to be 'fair and reasonable', so usually the wage is based on what is commonly paid. So the minimum wage is usually somewhere around 10€/hour.
    Last edited by Anton Juntunen; January 19th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, it's skilled labour, so it's got to be above the minimum at least. But really I'd be skeptical of ever seeing that money. A lot of internships are a little scammy like that these days. "when/if they get funded". Yeah, I've heard that before. But you can't blame indie developers.

But if you think about it, if you didn't do the internship, you'd be working on your own concepts anyway and not getting paid, so this way you would get to do real work, and I'm sure it will improve you a lot. Since you're not being paid, you can make some demands, like maybe you say you can't do ten pieces but you can do 5 or 6.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Juntunen View Post
    The problem is they are not well financed and they can't offer me a solid pay. They proposed that when/if they get funded they'd pay me based on the hours I've worked for them.
    DON'T. The "we will pay you when we get paid" should be red flag for you. If they are professionals, they can estimate what the project will yield, and pay you accordingly. Otherwise, they are rank amateurs or a scam.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    DON'T. The "we will pay you when we get paid" should be red flag for you. If they are professionals, they can estimate what the project will yield, and pay you accordingly. Otherwise, they are rank amateurs or a scam.

Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical too but we did agree to write an actual contract and that's why they asked me to come up with a number. They aren't complete amateurs either, they've shipped a couple games already but I guess they haven't been very successful.

But if you think about it, if you didn't do the internship, you'd be working on your own concepts anyway and not getting paid, so this way you would get to do real work, and I'm sure it will improve you a lot.

I have to agree with Joe, plus I get to work in a professional studio which is nice and if they get the game published I've worked on, it'd be of great advantage when applying for jobs in future.

Also, because they can't give me salary I don't have any obligation to do it full time so it would be fun side project at least. I think I've made up my mind to work there, but I still have to think of the hourly wage.