Thanks

Anatomy, perspective, and form. What do I do? I've been stuck for a while.

So, the title explains a bit of the story.

Despite practicing for 2 years, i'm still the same as before, trying to apply the fundamentals, not doing well and not being able to pinpoint why, never made a finished piece in these 2 years... for some reason my lines are always chicken scratchy, and when I try to make them loose, they look devoid of form and disorganized. And yet, I can never really pinpoint why I hate my drawings aside from the chicken scratchy pet lines and bad form, after that it's just

"Well, one, we're bad at all the fundamentals, two, it doesn't look like Vladgheneli's or Micheal Hampton's art, and that's what we're going for, so it's awful."

But despite that. I've been trying to draw a bit of anatomy after drawing boxes and cylinders last week.

Name:  apple warmup studies.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  32.9 KB a form warmup,

Name:  anatomy practice with ref.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  106.1 KB tried to draw over ref to learn form a bit more (Didn't work too well.)

Name:  Hands and mannequin.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  106.1 KB tried to follow Andrew Loomis's mannequin for proportions, (Also, I can't draw hands, at all. I've never improved I don't know why.)

Name:  more mannequin.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  131.8 KBmore mannequin,

Name:  hands 1.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  105.3 KB I tried to draw hands. I was even going for realistic hands, suprisingly. *Sigh* I've been struggling with them since I started taking art seriously, and haven't improved since. I don't know what to do.

Lastly but most importantly, My video trying to study anatomy:

I don't know, but it feels like there's some untouchable barrier that separates me from becoming the proficent artist I want to be. I don't know if i'll ever 'get' anatomy like other people, I hope this doesn't sound whiny, but I have dozens of sketchbooks from years ago filled with anatomy and hands that look just like this with no real improvement. It's so..tiring. I try to read books and try to figure out what is wrong but I never seem to 'get it'.

I want to be able to be like artists like (Vladgheneli, Micheal hampton, andrew loomis) And other artists that have a very solid grasp on anatomy and lighting and form and all of those fundamental things, but the line would be too long.

What do I do? How should I improve? How do I get better at lines? How do I just..get better? The hands were the most embarassing for me. Thank you for reading. Advice welcome.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So you wanna draw like those guys? Did you use a structured a approach to learning a subject? Or did you do random exercises you found online?
    Cause Hampton and Loomis both have very solid instructionals books.
    I recommend you to study 1 fundamental at a time(i mean study it until you get a good grasp of it, months if needed), and start with perspective so anything you draw is at least correct. (get Scott Robertson book How to draw)
    Also DrawaBox for basic drawing but use pen and paper, the tablet is only making it arder foe you.
    From DrawaBox instructor, you should expect this results after studying perspective and the site's lessons:
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  161.5 KB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to All For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jumping in to photoshop with a tablet or using a mouse is difficult. You can be really experienced with a graphite pencil and pen and it's still an uphill battle. I honestly find Photoshop to be more difficult than flying an aircraft. Photoshop can't kill you, but it'll make you extremely frustrated looking at your results versus other people's.

I watched your video and looked at your pictures, so let's address a few things:

First off, should be doing studies on paper when you can. It's just easier with almost no struggling with the tools themselves. Pen or Graphite pencil. Pen is probably better as you need to focus on being more deliberate with your lines. Try to visualize the stroke before making it. Don't draw the same line three times. It often helps to practice the stroke before doing it-just go through the motions of making it once, twice, three times, and then make it. Confidence in your line takes a while to build, and its several times harder if you're in photoshop. Most people in photoshop have their left hand poised above the 'undo' keys and for something that isn't an underlying drawing will undo bad looking strokes. Spend some time experiment with the pencil brush to see what looks good to you rather than taking a premade photoshop brush, resizing it and trying to it.

Second canvas size, pixel count, flow, opacity, and the brush itself are a huge decider of the final look when you're just doing studies. Search on youtube and find some tutorials on making a more pencil like brush-have to modify it some further from the tutorial to fit your canvas size and pixel count, but that should be an early priority for you. When learning photoshop, it's best to get rid of most of the brushes and just use a few core ones. The pencil brush you're going to make, a hard round brush, a soft round brush, and a single flat brush is a good start. I keep them in the 'Tool Presets' rather than using the giant smorgasbord of brushes. As someone starting to paint, you can get pretty far just using a hard round brush and just playing with the size, color, opacity, and flow.

Third. I see you using fundamentals in your drawings, but could use some more practice. When you draw a cube in space, you should be able to trace the lines receding to a single point in space(if one point perspective), two points if two point perspective, or three points if three points perspective. If you draw the lines coming off the boxes, they should be parallel or all coming to a point at some part. The boxes in your pictures are good boxes to check their vanishing points using the method I said above. Photoshop has a shortcut key for drawing straight lines, and it is good to take advantage of it. You sort of understand 1 pt. and 2 pt perspective, but look like you get in an hurry. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Take the circles and squares slow, and constantly check yourself.

Fourth. Your anatomy is coming along. I can't see if you have other references, but I can see you have an understanding of how the arm and torso is shaped, understand proportions, and know general placement. I understand most of this is the difficulty of using a tablet-but try draw to take a more formalized approach to drawing figures. Do some gesture drawings for a warm up, then do some long studies on individual areas, and then do something that you want to finish. The goal of your drawing shouldn't be to do studies. It should be to do art that you finalize. Too much study leads to stagnation. The brain sort of knows when you're doing work no one is going to see, and finalized art is where we internalize stuff. It's important that you keep trying to draw things in 3d rather than copying what you see for these longer studies. Same time, slow down. Your consistency can be all over the page when you start rushing.

Fifth item. Some areas like hands are really difficult to conceptualize and take a really long time. I'd figure out brushes and canvas first, then come back to it. Keep doing studies, but spread them out, and start doing finalized art first. If you look around, there are three general poses that a lot of peeps use to fake good looking hands. I'm not saying, this route is something you should take. I'm saying hands are really difficult and even experienced illustrators take shortcuts on them to make them look real. Should have those tools in your toolbox along with the exercises/studies that you're doing.

Should try to do finished paintings/studies. You learn more in the first 80% of doing the art, than the last 20% when you're tweaking. Studies are easy to get lost in.

Let me know if you have questions or want more information on any area.
    Last edited by ICBanMI; January 13th, 2018 at 08:48 PM.