Thanks

Victoria Portrait Study Crits

Hi guys,

This started off as a photo study in which I wanted to try and incorporate a bit more of a painterly style. First time using the mixer brush and it's a lot of fun. Would love some crits on this so I can spend a few more hours improving it before I add it to my Artstation. Main question is if all the features look right? I think the face looks normal and correctly structured but I have been staring at it for very long so maybe an eye is too high or something like that. Should I try to make it more painterly with bigger brushstrokes? Maybe I should change some lines from hard lines to lost edges? Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Added the WIP's which include the reference and some up close shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Gorgeous portrait! I suggest you tone down the jewelry, which draws my attention from the face. The shadow to our left from her mouth is too dark for my taste. I'd love to see more of a trapezius...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Eezacque: Thank you, my original intention was to have a second focal point in the image to make it not just a portrait but maybe add a bit more storytelling or something idk, I toned it down a little and think it works better. That shadow was definitely very dark, good spot! I made it lighter. I'm not sure if you wanted to see more of the trapezius on top of back of the shoulder or around the neck so I played around with both and I think this might work better? The hair is covering a lot of it but I agree that it looked/looks very thin and not just like it continues behind the hair, so hopefully that is now better. If not I'd love to hear it.

Also added some white texture bits on top to make it look more like an old painting.

Edit: Played around a bit with more texture on top, I think it looks pretty cool but ya or nay?

Edit2: More changes to the neck area again, because I felt the three highly contrasted strands of hair were pulling a lot of attention towards them, not sure about it. Definitely think Im keeping the texture though.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 12th, 2018 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Great work! I like it a lot. The only real drawing issue would be that the top of the left eyelid ended up a little lower than I think it was initially.

I don't think the craquelure you added is necessary, it more draws attention to the fact that it's a digital painting than hides it. And I think it has a really good mood and is well painted without it. Up to you though!

Thanks
    JoeCowan: Oh very nice spot on the eyelid, I think I fixed it so that the eye looks a bit more opened now. I do really like the craquelure but you and others said that you prefer it without so I compromised and turned it down veryy low Thanks a ton for the feedback man!

So here it is with the eye changed and incorporating some more feedback that I got in my sketchbook.

Thanks
    The ear edge is not reading as well as in the photo i think. Have you tried flipping the painting and the photo to check the proportions?

Thanks
    All: Ye I softened the edge on purpose because it's such a high contrast area, if the edge was hard then it draws a focal point there which I didn't want. Not sure if it's the best solution ever though I constantly flipped the canvas but the lips and ears are a little too small and I'm going to quickly correct that soon.

Thanks
    After more critiques