Thanks

Illustration school in Europe

Hi,
    My name is Rachele and I'm an Italian student.
    I'll graduate in graphic design in 2019 and my goal is to work as an illustrator.
    In order to continue studying and growing my skills, I know that in Italy I could choose between the International School of Comix (http://www.scuolacomics.com) and Nemoland Academy (http://www.accademianemo.it). Both offer high level courses in illustration and comix. But I'd like to leave Italy in order to improve my experiences and my knowledge. Is there anybody that could help me and tell me if there are some similar academies in Europe?
    Thanks to anyone that will answer me.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if you are interested in illustration, I heard good things about UWE: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/W224 and The University of Arts London: http://www.arts.ac.uk/ but if you are more into in animation Les Gobelins: http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/W224 might be of interest for you.

All the best!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachele View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Rachele and I'm an Italian student.
    I'll graduate in graphic design in 2019 and my goal is to work as an illustrator.
    In order to continue studying and growing my skills, I know that in Italy I could choose between the International School of Comix (http://www.scuolacomics.com) and Nemoland Academy (http://www.accademianemo.it). Both offer high level courses in illustration and comix. But I'd like to leave Italy in order to improve my experiences and my knowledge. Is there anybody that could help me and tell me if there are some similar academies in Europe?
    Thanks to anyone that will answer me.

Uhhhh...there are no finer schools in the world than in Florence...

Forget the Comic schools. Find an atelier. http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/ is a good start.

Italy trained literally the entirety of France, and from there, the entirety of Europe. Everyone in America learned from the lineage spawned by Michelangelo. There is no reason to go elsewhere and you'd be an idiot for doing so. A proper atelier will educate you in this history.

My guess is you can probably find a lineaged artist right under your nose. Start looking around your hometown. The one I went to was holed up about a uniform shop, they find odd warehouses to thrive in.

For fucks sakes I would have killed to be in Italy in my teens or 20's. LITERALLY KILLED ANYONE.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    Italy trained literally the entirety of France, and from there, the entirety of Europe. Everyone in America learned from the lineage spawned by Michelangelo. There is no reason to go elsewhere and you'd be an idiot for doing so.
    Even better, go to Africa, where you will find the cradle of the human race, or to the Middle East, the Garden of Eden to be precise. This is where it all started!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

All

Thanks
    Uhhhh...there are no finer schools in the world than in Florence...

Forget the Comic schools. Find an atelier. http://www.florenceacademyofart.com/ is a good start.

Italy trained literally the entirety of France, and from there, the entirety of Europe. Everyone in America learned from the lineage spawned by Michelangelo. There is no reason to go elsewhere and you'd be an idiot for doing so. A proper atelier will educate you in this history.

My guess is you can probably find a lineaged artist right under your nose. Start looking around your hometown. The one I went to was holed up about a uniform shop, they find odd warehouses to thrive in.

For fucks sakes I would have killed to be in Italy in my teens or 20's. LITERALLY KILLED ANYONE.
    Yea, but Italy is no longer the same as 10, 20 or 30 years ago, and you have a very distorted image of Italy; I'm sorry to tell you that. I went to learn to draw from local artists, in atelier, but has 1. no value and 2. it is not enough: we no longer live in the age of brush and chisel. And no, there's nothing in front of my house that relates to art. I have to do 4 hours of train just to go to a basic course (and other 4 hours to go home).
    And, I do not want to learn how to draw, I want to take a path to become an illustrator, not an artist. They are different things, which require VERY different preparations and notions.
    I'm sorry but Italy is not a country where everything is easy, for creative in particolar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachele View Post
    Yea, but Italy is no longer the same as 10, 20 or 30 years ago, and you have a very distorted image of Italy; I'm sorry to tell you that. I went to learn to draw from local artists, in atelier, but has 1. no value and 2. it is not enough: we no longer live in the age of brush and chisel. And no, there's nothing in front of my house that relates to art. I have to do 4 hours of train just to go to a basic course (and other 4 hours to go home).
    And, I do not want to learn how to draw, I want to take a path to become an illustrator, not an artist. They are different things, which require VERY different preparations and notions.
    I'm sorry but Italy is not a country where everything is easy, for creative in particolar.
    Illustrator and fine artists take the same concepts and principles to do different things. Here are 2 names I can think of that went to an atelier.
    http://www.karlaortizart.com/
    https://synstudio.ca/karla-ortiz/

https://www.artstation.com/devinplatts ( this guy has no interview but I kinda know him somewhat personally )
    People keep telling me : " Why do you keep suggesting courses and books instead of just giving me the solution directly ? "

Well if i could condense all the necessary informations that take hours of explanation and demonstration into a single post, i would gladly do it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GPhong For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    European Academic Art is the heart of the science of illustration. The French actually went to Italy to learn how to illustrate again, after the disastrous Rococo period where everything was just copied and stylized from everything else, until the people in paintings no longer looked like people...so the Sun King sent a delegation to Italy to find out how they were producing such beautiful masterworks. The entire French system of drawing is lineaged directly to Michelangelo himself.

There is no finer school for learning the art of draftsmanship than the Florence Academy of Arts, with perhaps the exception of The Art Student's League in New York or Le Academie Julian.

If it's on ARC's atelier list, it is a lineaged school and it will teach you how to draw. That is the very first step in the Academic style of schooling.

So yeah, all of your assumptions are not based on anything coming from the European Academic flowering tree lineage. If they are not lineaged they are not European Academic masters.

I owe my entire education to France because of this and I would figuratively kill to study in Florence.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    European Academic Art is the heart of the science of illustration.
    No. Illustration is no science, and although academic art can be considered the root of illustration, it is centuries ago that this tradition played a role in educating illustrators.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Hi Rachele, I'm from Italy too and i'm doing Nemo school in Florence, PM me if you want an opinion about the school. I know some people who go or went to Comix too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    No. Illustration is no science, and although academic art can be considered the root of illustration, it is centuries ago that this tradition played a role in educating illustrators.

When we're talking about the way the Academics do illustration, yes, there is a science to it. Illustration is formula, there is a right way to draw and a wrong way, in situations where we want to reproduce from life most faithfully. The Italians discovered the formula and the French picked it up from them.

You may not know anything about Academic art (this is clear from your assertion that it plays no role in the world today) but that doesn't mean it isn't the most effective way of learning how to draw to this day. The methodology has not changed for 500 years. It is still taught exactly the same way in every Academic Atelier in the world today, with minor variations.

There is a reason why every atelier in the world possesses a chart of the flowering tree lineage that can trace their entire pedigree back to Michelangelo, from each individual in the chain of atelier student-teacher relationships. The method of illustration has not changed since the time of Michelangelo. If it is not taught faithfully according to certain specifications, it is not Academic Art.

If you had attended an atelier in the European Academic Tradition you would know this, and you would understand why this methodology is the only way of learning illustration most effectively. It is nowhere near as effective to just teach oneself. Although it can be done, it does not have the advantages of five hundred years of the collective knowledge of thousands of masters.

Generally speaking colleges and unis do not teach illustration. They point you to a model and tell you to try and draw it. This cuts out the actual science of illustration which is very real thing.
    Last edited by Izi; March 19th, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    When we're talking about the way the Academics do illustration, yes, there is a science to it. Illustration is formula, there is a right way to draw and a wrong way, in situations where we want to reproduce from life most faithfully. The Italians discovered the formula and the French picked it up from them
    First, there is not a right way and a wrong way, as there are many successful illustrations which are breaking the rules. Second, and final, even if there is a right way/wrong way then that doesn't make it a science.

Sketchbook Blog